They asked to see our script - What happens now?

At the start of Feb we sent out a synopsis and first ten pages of our script to a few prod cos via email. Two months later we'd heard nothing. At this stage I didn't expect to hear anything definitive either way but I was hoping for confirmation that hey had received our bits.

So we politely emailed to see if they would acknowledge receipt. Quite quickly one of the prod cos emailed back and said yes they'd got it, sorry for the delay in confirming and we will get back to you. So happy that I at least knew they had our bits I put it out of my mind ready for a long wait.

Three hours later and another email arrives to say that they again are sorry for the delay but if we would like to send through the entire script they would be happy to read it and get back to us.

So what happens next? I took this as a positive sign but will we again have to wait a few months to hear back and if so do we leave it a few months then politely enquire?

I realise there are many hurdles to get past so I'm just keeping my head down and continuing to write, but this is the first bit of positve news we have had so I do feel good about it.

Def.

Means they're going to read the whole lot. You've beaten the first hurdle. After this it's thank but no thanks, or they may ask to meet up with you.

Good luck. I to date have not got passed the the second half.

They may not have read the first 10 pages. Some prod co's require a full script before even reading.

All you can do is wait and see what happens.

Well done, they obviously see something in it.

It would actually be interesting to know what the percentages are like. I'd guess that 90% of scripts are rejected before the 10 pages are read. Of the full read scripts I'd guess that 90% of them are then rejected. How many of those 1% that make it get pitched I have no idea? Anyone with a more informed guess?

Quote: Winterlight @ April 10 2008, 11:06 AM BST

They may not have read the first 10 pages. Some prod co's require a full script before even reading.

No, that never happens.

In fact most producers won't ever read more than 10. If the first 10 is rubbish, it goes in the bin.

Quote: Rob B @ April 10 2008, 11:07 AM BST

Well done, they obviously see something in it.

It would actually be interesting to know what the percentages are like. I'd guess that 90% of scripts are rejected before the 10 pages are read. Of the full read scripts I'd guess that 90% of them are then rejected. How many of those 1% that make it get pitched I have no idea? Anyone with a more informed guess?

Probably more than 90%.

I was told that a massive majority of stuff a certain company got sent was, in his words, 'shit'. I reckon 95 to 98 is rubbish.

Re: pitching. The BBC have changed the way they work slightly. So there's an initial pitching stage where you have to do it via the internet (the big comps have to register with the BBC) and the script gets read by a development person. If they like it, you get invited in. So it almost gets pitched twice I think. Once on the strength on the script, then you have to go in and impress in person.

Quote: Seefacts @ April 10 2008, 5:24 PM BST

No, that never happens.

In fact most producers won't ever read more than 10. If the first 10 is rubbish, it goes in the bin.

You can’t really say it will never happen; however it’s true, it seldom happens.

I regularly have meetings with a producer who will not read anything apart from the first 10 pages of complete scripts. She’s been let down too many times by reading 10 pages and a synopsis only to find the script had not been completed.

Actually, Seefacts is probably right.

My original comment was just... wrong.

I could explain how I thought it was right at the time, but it wouldn't make sense.

What production company did you send the script to, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote: earman2009 @ April 10 2008, 8:10 PM BST

What production company did you send the script to, if you don't mind me asking?

I've bet myself 10 pounds it's Baby Cow.

Quote: Seefacts @ April 10 2008, 9:06 PM BST

I've bet myself 10 pounds it's Baby Cow.

It sounds like you have a story to tell here Seefacts. Do Baby Cow have a habit of reading everything sent to them regardless, and is it a pointless exercise to get a little excited if they show any initial interest? Or is it that 99.99999% of anything that sparks their interest is very quickly dismissed after a glance at the script?

It would be interesting to know more about the practices of production companies.

Def.

seefacts are you an oracle???

:)

Every one always reads the first 10 pages of everything.

The question is how quickly, and what they do with it.

Some will take a month, most about 6 months.

Most will reject 99% of what they read. And yes that probably means that you weren't good enough to begin with.

Check out the BBC comissioning pages, a 3 person one room skit still costs £50,000 an episode. Want 2-3 rooms, an outside shoot, and 5 characters. You're well into the land of 6 figures.

Even radio isn't cheap.

If you wrote to Calvin Klein with an ace design for a pair of kecks, they wouldn't just start paying 1000s to produce your k fronts.

Add into this that there are literally 100s if not 1000s of skits coming in each day. Some of which may be the worst, and least funny things ever written.

Then they have to pay some one to read them all.

My advice (which I'm to lazy, and mean to follow myself). Is raise a few hundred, if not 1000 pounds, and make your own pilot, make it good, send copies everywhere, and stick it on Youtube.

It's How Trisha got started.

Quote: Deferenz @ April 11 2008, 9:14 AM BST

It sounds like you have a story to tell here Seefacts. Do Baby Cow have a habit of reading everything sent to them regardless, and is it a pointless exercise to get a little excited if they show any initial interest? Or is it that 99.99999% of anything that sparks their interest is very quickly dismissed after a glance at the script?

It would be interesting to know more about the practices of production companies.

Def.

Not really, it's just that's how they do it. You can send them 10 pages, if they like it they want to see more. I was just guessing.

I think with them it's obviously a good sign if they want to see more.

Good luck!

Quote: Marc P @ April 11 2008, 9:30 AM BST

seefacts are you an oracle???

No, just a big headed no-it-all!

Oracle is the BBC version of Ceefax. or was.

it was a... ahem gag.

Quote: Marc P @ April 11 2008, 12:43 PM BST

Oracle is the BBC version of Ceefax. or was.

it was a... ahem gag.

Ha, I knew that but didn't spot it. :D