Mandy - Series 1 Page 3

Some admirably demented stuff in this.

I've only caught a couple but it reminded me a bit of Stella Street, another condensed sitcom. What she's done very well in this is create a definite comic character, which is what so many of these modern single camera things completely fail to do. She's also added a-z plots, probably the second biggest thing they fail to do, so this show is a rare true sitcom in modern times. I will have to catch up with it. 🙂

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 18th August 2020, 6:39 PM

Morgan's great. Not her best work but still good.
Didn't like the slanted mouth thing.

Quote: Chappers @ 18th August 2020, 7:07 PM

Yes - the slanted mouth is a bit unnecessary. Maybe she just didn't want her too perfect.

Well I think it's based on someone she once knew, a sort of female Rab C Nesbitt, so in that regard it's necessary. For true sitcoms you do caricatures, visually memorable lead characters. As I'm sure you both know, ahem.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 6th April 2024, 6:22 PM

I've only caught a couple but it reminded me a bit of Stella Street,

Stella Street? Wasn't she Perry Mason's secretary?

Well it's Series 3 now but I really found myself laughing out loud continuously.

Here's an article I found very interesting and entertaining.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/aug/02/diane-morgan-it-sounds-mad-that-i-wrote-directed-and-star-in-mandy-like-im-orson-welles

Very interesting article. I love her and her attitudes. Maybe the 15 minute structure means there's no unnecessary padding.