Hancock's Half Hour Page 26

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th June 2023, 8:23 PM

Why did Bill Kerr never feature in any episodes?

Just to add to Billy's quote - Hattie Jacques didn't either, and that (apart from what Galton was saying) was the start of Tony dispensing with their services, as part of his plan to go it alone as an international comedy actor, which of course, didn't work out. I think Hancock, rather arrogantly maybe, could not see the wood for the trees; but there again could they have sustained the same high class sitcom? Others did, so maybe they could.

Apart from that - really enjoyed (of course!!) The Blood Donor tonight, and as an extra treat followed it with The Likely Lads, with the brilliant Brian Glover.

Well I saw it was the Blood Donor which is so well known I didn't watch it. I'm assuming that if Brian Glover was in the Likely Lads it was the football one which I've seen millions of times.

Yes but being two of the best sitcom episodes ever created, well worth another watch. The latter episode held up very well against the more lauded classic, I thought. The energy in both were a telling lesson of what's missing in today's so called sitcoms. And the sparkling scripts of course.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th June 2023, 6:07 AM

Well I saw it was the Blood Donor which is so well known I didn't watch it. I'm assuming that if Brian Glover was in the Likely Lads it was the football one which I've seen millions of times.

Blimey Mr Misery is back posting!

Both are classic episodes of classic sitcoms, which can be watched any number of times for the feast of laughs.

One tiny subtle bit that I loved in The Blood Donor is when Hancock finally gets to go into see the doctor with his "This is it then, over the top", and June Whitfield's nurse gives him the V for victory sign, after having to listen to Hancock's war time tales of bravery.

G&S were such brilliant scriptwriters, as we all know - Very Funny!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 14th June 2023, 7:37 AM

Yes but being two of the best sitcom episodes ever created, well worth another watch. The latter episode held up very well against the more lauded classic, I thought. The energy in both were a telling lesson of what's missing in today's so called sitcoms. And the sparkling scripts of course.

Amen to that

R4+ "Michelangelo 'Ancock"

With a hint (?) of things to come with "The Rebel", The Lad takes up sculpting to win the East Cheam council competition but needs more stone - as ever, Sid is only too willing to help, as famous landmarks disappear around Britain.

The prize giving, with Kenneth Williams in various parts is hilarious.

Love it............

I watched the episode 'How to Win Money and Influence People' from series 3 earlier. The bit with Hancock trying to give his letters to the postman had me laughing for a while.

Quote: Deferenz @ 17th June 2023, 3:01 AM

I watched the episode 'How to Win Money and Influence People' from series 3 earlier. The bit with Hancock trying to give his letters to the postman had me laughing for a while.

Most of these I believe, including this one, were broadcast live, hence Dick Emery fluffing his lines and nearly setting Hancock off laughing, but they managed to hold it together.

I also noticed that in that episode Hancock broke the fourth wall and seemed to acknowledge something someone said to him while he was sitting at his desk.

I'm quite enjoying these. It's the first time I've ever seen Hancock.

My goodness! You have a treat in store - I love all of them, especially when they (The Lad, Sid and sometimes Mrs Cravatte) are inside 23 Railway Cuttings.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th June 2023, 4:50 PM

My goodness! You have a treat in store - I love all of them, especially when they (The Lad, Sid and sometimes Mrs Cravatte) are inside 23 Railway Cuttings.

East Cheam which is Norman Road, just around the corner from Sutton United's ground.

"The Cold" - brilliant episode with Sid and Mrs Cravatte and her "herbal" medicines 😆 "When the leaf falls off that twig, you'll be dead within the week"

Patricia Hayes was fantastic

Yes I watched that too. I remember my Mum inhaling under a towel like that. I think I did too a couple of times.

Quote: lofthouse @ 21st June 2023, 12:31 AM

Patricia Hayes was fantastic

Creases me up is the hat she is wearing

Just listened to the Poetry Society again

"Her perceptive aura's gone for a burton "

Kills me every time 🤣