Inside No 9 - Series 8 Page 2

What's every ones favourite episode ? Just watched Series 7 episode 2, "The King" . Only bettered by "12 days of Christmas" & "A Quiet night in", imo. Series 8 isn't besting anything yet.

I'm wondering if the Beeb see these as a substitute for what once would have been a long running (studio) sitcom. ? They keep getting recommissioned, it's a very manageable little enclosed set filming for every ep with the same writing and prod team, much like many studio sitcoms.

I've only seen a handful, with wildly different viewing reactions from me, one I really liked and found quite riveting, one I thought was okay but stayed with, two I thought were boring, weird and pointless, and one of this series where they broke into a house, unwatchable from the first three turgid minutes. The big difference from this to a trad sitcom is the pacing, this is like watching a snail move through treacle as oppose to a racehorse in the Grand National.

Trad sitcom has action and plot reveals from the off, but here it seems we're always waiting till the end for any meaningful revelations or point to it all, it's like the reverse of a good trad sitcom. So I struggle with it, although I'll look up one or two on the iplayer I like the sound of, like the Bernie Clifton's dressing room one. I guess all the different settings and subjects are bound to make it a bit hit & miss and not to everyone's taste.

It's more like a Play for Today or Tales of the Unexpected. Totally different every week, so if people don't like one they might like the next.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 12th May 2023, 7:26 PM

.... Trad sitcom has action and plot reveals from the off, but here it seems we're always waiting till the end for any meaningful revelations or point to it all...

True, but they're mixing a who done it formula with comedy, doubling the viewing appeal. My friend doesn't find them funny but she still watches to the end and enjoys.

Quote: Firkin @ 12th May 2023, 6:57 PM

What's every ones favourite episode ? Just watched Series 7 episode 2, "The King" . Only bettered by "12 days of Christmas" & "A Quiet night in", imo. Series 8 isn't besting anything yet.

Without a doubt my favourite is Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room, closely followed by A Quiet Night In.

Quote: Firkin @ 12th May 2023, 6:57 PM

"12 days of Christmas" & "A Quiet night in"

My two favourites too, but should be "12 Days of Christine", which I found very moving, and "A Quiet Night In", just so funny.

Quote: zooo @ 12th May 2023, 8:07 PM

It's more like a Play for Today or Tales of the Unexpected. Totally different every week, so if people don't like one they might like the next.

Yes, the latter it seems, as you are really expecting something unexpected to happen. But when it doesn't, or you have trouble working out what did or just fall asleep waiting for it, it can fall flat, as it often did in TotU from memory. There've been several similar types of prog over the decades but my favourite, which had as much mystery but much more bite was Hammer's House of Horror which I'm sure Pemberton & Shearsmith were fans of as well.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th May 2023, 9:31 AM

At least we could understand this one, which I thought was very good and well written, though I could see what was going to happen a mile off when his wife went to work with the umbrella.

Enjoyable

Has it ever not been understandable?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 13th May 2023, 10:21 AM

... Hammer's House of Horror which I'm sure Pemberton & Shearsmith were fans of as well.

Loved that too Alfred, it was Hammy. But #9 is wittier, with better production values.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 12th May 2023, 11:13 PM

Without a doubt my favourite is Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room, closely followed by A Quiet Night In.

It was good, but borrowed heavily from the movie "The Sunshine Boys". Which cast George Burns who became popular due to a comedy duo with his wife, and Walter Matthau, who in turn made it big in the movie "The Odd Couple". I'd recommend both those, especially the latter. It's considered an all time great, as were Jack Lemmon & Walter Matthau as comedic actors. As was George Burns as a stand up comedian.

Quote: Firkin @ 13th May 2023, 2:42 PM

Loved that too Alfred, it was Hammy. But #9 is wittier, with better production values.

I watched Hammer House of Horror for the first time just recently, from a rip of the Blu-ray, and it looks great.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 13th May 2023, 12:29 PM

Has it ever not been understandable?

Yes, there's been a few mentioned on the various No. 9 threads, with WTF was all that about.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 12th May 2023, 7:26 PM

Trad sitcom has action and plot reveals from the off, but here it seems we're always waiting till the end for any meaningful revelations or point to it all, it's like the reverse of a good trad sitcom.

Well, it's not suposed to be a sit com, trad or otherwise. You may as well complain that it's not a pad thai. I mean, criticise away, if you don't like it, of course, but perhaps a different angle is better :)

I liked the 3rd (4th) ep. Yes, of course everyone watching will have at least suspected the outcome, but the central performance was excellent, and there were some decent gags too. I liked the pathos throughout, though the last scene felt a tad rushed. It reminded me of a Stephen King short story I read about 35 years ago, where there was a discussion of a serial killer by a man buying flowers for his date, and then when the woman walked down the stret, it wasn't the (imagined?) woman he loved, so he killed her - I think it was even with a hammer. Irrelevant, I'm sure, but really leapt to mind.

Quote: gappy @ 15th May 2023, 10:39 AM

Well, it's not suposed to be a sit com, trad or otherwise. You may as well complain that it's not a pad thai. I mean, criticise away, if you don't like it, of course, but perhaps a different angle is better :)

I wasn't criticising it and didn't say I didn't like it, was simply highlighting the difference in viewing experience and different expectations needed, which is why I've struggled to get into them, being more used to sitcoms with their instant reveals. I never said I thought it was a sitcom, I said I suspected the broadcaster saw this as a replacement for former long running sitcoms, which hardly make it past Series 1 anymore.

Fair enough :)

Some nice little scenarios but it became a bit predictable. (The dating one that is)