Still Open All Hours has been axed!

Hello everyone, just looked on the BCG homepage where it confirms the news that Still Open All Hours has been axed after almost ten years on air, the strange thing is a new series had been commissoned but the commison has now been reversed, I must say I am quite suprised by this news.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/7199/still-open-all-hours-cancelled/

I should imagine DJ's age & health will have been a consideration.

Indeed, and I assume this will look very bad for the BBC not long after losing Ken Bruce, Simon Mayo etc. meaning that yet another ageism scandal will more than likely erupt.

No - I'm guessing DJ doesn't want to do any more.
His is very old now.

Oh, I agree with you, but I guess the press will turn the axing into an ageism scandal.

Roy Clarke is also in his 90s now. While it's possible he may well want to write still, at this point he may retire.

Oh dear

How sad

Never mind

Quote: lofthouse @ 17th February 2023, 1:22 PM

Oh dear

How sad

Never mind

Quite right.It was awful.

As a one-off special, it was nice to see how the remaining characters had developed since the original series closed.

I am happy to see the back of it as well though. It was starting to turn into Last of Summer Wine, not that it's a bad thing, but you could see that Roy Clarke was starting to copy, dare I say it, "leftover" ideas from LOTSW. i.e. the women characters sitting together having a coffee morning, that was something that never happened in the original Open All Hours. If Series 7 did make it to fruition, I think it would have been the last anyway given the main star's respective age.