Vintage adverts Page 27

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th May 2022, 10:32 AM

Yes, we have CDs now and, as we all know, you can do anything with them - even spread jam om them - and they will still play perfectly ?

I remember them saying that on Tomorrow's World many years ago...............how wrong they were - that and the DVD are such a flaky medium. Convenient, but flaky.

1953........... Get in the swim with the world famous, no less Roxy at only 7/6 (seven shillings and sixpence) - 37½p in today's money.

I had one of those horny speakers once. Bought in a 'junk' shop in Blackpool I included it in our things when we went to Egypt , then moved it to Cyprus when the UK gave up the Canal Zone, but I eventually left it in Cyprus. I think I gave it to a friend.

It was sensitive enough to run straight from a crystal set, no batteries, no mains (converted) electric power, just ran on broadcast power from the radio signal.

Quote: billwill @ 15th May 2022, 3:58 PM

I had one of those horny speakers once. Bought in a 'junk' shop in Blackpool I included it in our things when we went to Egypt , then moved it to Cyprus when the UK gave up the Canal Zone, but I eventually left it in Cyprus. I think I gave it to a friend.

It was sensitive enough to run straight from a crystal set, no batteries, no mains (converted) electric power, just ran on broadcast power from the radio signal.

Would be worth a fair bit now.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th May 2022, 10:32 AM

Yes, we have CDs now and, as we all know, you can do anything with them - even spread jam om them - and they will still play perfectly ?

?

1940............. BOGOF Bottle of Cider under 5p and toothpaste 2½p

I have no words for these.....
Albany Life, 1983

Bloody Hell!

"Now tell me Darling, what was your birth date? I need it for this form I'm filling in."

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th May 2022, 11:09 AM

Bloody Hell!

"Now tell me Darling, what was your birth date? I need it for this form I'm filling in."

Ha ha ha ha..... What an incredible and distinctive marketing strategy.

Gaymer's cyder, 1955

Couldn't help myself singing the Pepsodent jingle :)

Concorde, 1989 - Service started in 1976 and closed in 2003
Luxury flight across the Atlantic

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th May 2022, 9:16 AM

Exactly 70 years previous, 1924............

That's it. Though mine was much bigger.