Digital Puppets - Virtual Comedian

Here's details on our latest exclusive BCG Pro opportunity. Can you write stand-up material for an animated character?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/pro/opportunities/digital-puppets/

Those magical words, no pay...

Time to wheel this out again...

Aye, you'll get some if we get some.
Excellent business plan though.
I'll pay my employees if I get some work.

They work for Disney, Adobe, Cartoon Network and the BBC. And they expect you to work for nothing?!

I would do this at the drop of a hat, I am an amateur in so many ways as I make below minimum wage and in the last 18 months of lockdown between my wife and I we have lived 60% of wages that were already low.
I have never asked for charity and I don't want it, I want to be able to pay my bills with my pen or in this case keyboard but no one will give me a look in so yes I would do it.
I have principles and I understand this mans stance, but the reality is that unless people like me work for nothing then I will never get noticed.
I have even decided to stop doing sketches on here now as I have gone back out of sheer desperation to my Drama writing as it may open a door.
Yes its sad that there is no wage but a punt is a punt and I know I could do it and even if I came away with a months rent I'd be better off than I am at the time of writing this .

NB
I applied for this but got f**ked off because I am not a member of the BCG , oh the irony I can't even afford to be in the f**king mix to work for free,
Some days I wonder why I get out of f**king bed :(

Teddy, I humbly disagree.
There was a time, if you had faith in a project, you reached into your own pocket to pay people to bring it to fruition. Not a lot of money - hardly more than peanuts. But paid work. Now, they want you to bear the cost and risk for their project. And, OK, they might get someone for free, but I promise you, should they find they have a bit of money to splash around, they go and hire a pro. Not saying this is necessarily true of this mob, but it's a pattern followed by many others. No-one should work for nowt. The bit you do for nothing is 'audition' ie send a sample, maybe go through a bit more process, a bit more sample work - an actor would call it a re-call. If you get selected, then they pay.

Hi all. As you're all forums regulars who have been with us for years, hopefully you know us well enough to know we're not the kind of organisation that believes exploiting writers? :)

Maybe we've hidden it a bit too low down in the explanation, but please note this is a different proposition than a writing competition or similar... you'd be co-owning the format from Day 1, and will receive a equal split of revenue generated going forward. So a level playing field for all involved in it in terms of money. (Just to be clear, BCG would not be an owner... it would be you, Digital Puppets, and potentially also a performer [if you yourself are not a writer-performer]).

Teddy: As much as we'd love to make BCG Pro free access to all, without the subscription element we simply wouldn't have the time or resources for the website to exist full stop. The paywall does actually have an advantage in that it results in a manageable number of serious applications/entries to opportunities to look through too, meaning we can convince companies to open their doors... i.e. they know everyone on BCG Pro is really serious about a career in comedy, as they've invested in it already.

We appreciate not everyone can afford to invest up-front in a subscription though, so if that's you, do send us an email on pro@comedy.co.uk and we'll help.

Hello all. Scott here, one of the animators involved in this proposal. This is a side project that we're working on in our spare time, so Im afraid we're not getting any money either for working on it (and whilst we have done projects for Disney and the BBC, we are just two animators who are very lucky to get some good freelance projects with companies that we are proud to do work with occasionally) All we have for this idea are some ambitions and hopes to try something fun and new. I fully understand the reaction to the no pay comments, we get messages weekly from people asking us to animate projects for a share in the profits. Often we say thanks for getting in touch but decline if it is not a project that we want to be involved with. However, if anyone would like to get involved, great, hopefully we can try something out that is worth all our time, and for those who are not interested, then I understand your view. Perhaps another way of considering our proposal is that it would be an exchange of services, we benefit from your comedic talents and our writing partner would benefit from our animation talents, getting a digital puppet, a cartoon realisation of their imagination, for us all to use in a way that just might do something new and different.

I suppose what we're trying to do is kinda like putting a band together. We looking for another member to join our band, and then together we can try and get gigs.

Good luck, Scott. It's a great idea.

Everything is upfront, out in the open. They are looking for for a partner/collabrilator not an unpaid employee.

Good luck with the project.