BBC Comedy College Page 21

Quote: roscoff @ March 17, 2008, 4:30 PM

Put stuff down. They're not going to search your CV until at least you've got passed square one. And if they love it do you really think they're gonna turn around and say 'This guys really good but he's not had enough work produced'?

I imagine the CVs will be looked at first, rather than reading each and every script. I think the entry criteria is to determine that the entrant is serious about a career in comedy writing and has made some previous serious effort.

I think the problem is with a lot of the open comps is that they are overwhelmed with entries from inexperienced beginners who are entering on a whim, with poor first draft quality material. This in turn makes it harder for entrants who have some talent and have made some effort. While I would advocate the 'what have I got to lose' approach to those wanting to enter but not being properly eligiable, it does make it harder in the long run for everyone.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 18, 2008, 5:26 PM

I imagine the CVs will be looked at first, rather than reading each and every script. I think the entry criteria is to determine that the entrant is serious about a career in comedy writing and has made some previous serious effort.

I think the problem is with a lot of the open comps is that they are overwhelmed with entries from inexperienced beginners who are entering on a whim, with poor first draft quality material. This in turn makes it harder for entrants who have some talent and have made some effort. While I would advocate the 'what have I got to lose' approach to those wanting to enter but not being properly eligiable, it does make it harder in the long run for everyone.

That's probably true.

CVs first, easily. If there's no broadcast stuff on there, then the scripts won't be read.

How many entrants will there be who'll fit the criteria - i.e. young writers who've had sketches on the telly? 40? Then they judge their respective scripts.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 18, 2008, 5:47 PM

That's probably true.

CVs first, easily. If there's no broadcast stuff on there, then the scripts won't be read.

How many entrants will there be who'll fit the criteria - i.e. young writers who've had sketches on the telly? 40? Then they judge their respective scripts.

Think they'll be a LOT more that 40. I mean I have had sketches on BBC7, and written loads of regular features for radio 1, but nothing on TV. But both of that was broadcast. And I think a lot of people here have had a smiliar if not better level of success all eligable under the criteria.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ March 18, 2008, 5:52 PM

Think they'll be a LOT more that 40. I mean I have had sketches on BBC7, and written loads of regular features for radio 1, but nothing on TV. But both of that was broadcast. And I think a lot of people here have had a smiliar if not better level of success all eligable under the criteria.

Ah, ok that's interesting.

I've guessed before - but how many broadcast (eligible, basically) writers do you think there are working at the moment? 60? 80?

Hundreds at least. Maybe thousands.

Or am I crazy?

Quote: zooo @ March 18, 2008, 6:02 PM

Hundreds at least. Maybe thousands.

Or am I crazy?

I doubt thousands.

I'm still going with 40-60.

The entry requirements aren't just for TV and radio credits though. It also says something about having work filmed and/or performed live or just having taken part in a related writing course, or being a writer/performer.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if all - or most of - the winners are already regularly writing for TV. ;)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 18, 2008, 6:05 PM

The entry requirements aren't just for TV and radio credits though. It also says something about having work filmed and/or performed live or just having taken part in a related writing course, or being a writer/performer.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if all - or most of - the winners are already regularly writing for TV. ;)

I think it's quite easy to get your work performed though - it's not talent barometer.

I too think it'll be people who've been around the TV industry for a good few years.

I fully expect it to be 6 bad sketch writers.

Possibly. But I get the impression they may be interested in seeing material - perhaps - from someone who's had a good stand-up career for a couple for years, for example.

Unfortunately they'll probably be swamped with people who think they're eligiable because they've had a video on 4Laughs...:)

To be honest I think the lovely Zoo is nearer the mark with 100's.

Hope for most of us on here then...

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 18, 2008, 6:05 PM

Quote: See Facts @ March 18, 2008, 6:05 PM

I too think it'll be people who've been around the TV industry for a good few years.

I dunno - I can't see why any one with that level of experience would be interested. And why the BBC would want to train up people who they're already working with regularly.

It's possible, I suppose, but I suspect they're more likely to be looking for new blood.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 18, 2008, 5:26 PM

Wouldn't that just be a waste of time? What's so funny about a CV?

*INSERTS NEGATIVE SPECULATION ABOUT THIS SCHEME*

;)

Quote: David Chapman @ March 19, 2008, 12:31 AM

Wouldn't that just be a waste of time? What's so funny about a CV?

Well, that depends if you attach a photo to it or not.
:D

The CV will show whether you have any 'comedy form'.