BBC Comedy College Page 20

Knowing my luck, I'd get in and they'd make me Alan Titmarsh's bitch.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ March 15, 2008, 11:08 AM

Now I feel bad because I've yet to have anything officially commissioned, so I don't see the point in applying.

The BBC have said:

"All applicants should be able to demonstrate a record of achievement. They may have had their work broadcast on television or radio, received a script commission, had a theatrical or filmed performance of their work, be a writer-performer, or have completed or be attending a writing course in a recognised institution."

Martin, I think that you could put your podcast down as evidence of writer-performer. You may as well apply. It's too good an opportunity to miss out on.

Yeah!
If I had anything remotely relevant I'd apply.
Even if it was only one sketch performed by newsrevue I'd probably have a go.

Quote: Winterlight @ March 16, 2008, 12:24 PM

The BBC have said:

"All applicants should be able to demonstrate a record of achievement. They may have had their work broadcast on television or radio, received a script commission, had a theatrical or filmed performance of their work, be a writer-performer, or have completed or be attending a writing course in a recognised institution."

Martin, I think that you could put your podcast down as evidence of writer-performer. You may as well apply. It's too good an opportunity to miss out on.

Do you think? But my podcast is my own thing, written by me, performed by me and produced by me. I've never officially been commissioned to write/perform, and I assume that's what they are looking for.

But like you say, it is a big opportunity so I suppose I should apply.

Have no idea how to write my CV though, because it will just contain "Podcast Series". :D

Let them tell you to piss off, don't tell your self.

The other thing, is maybe none of us will get in. But your stuff will be read, or viewed, or what ever. You may not get on the scheme, but you may catch some one's eye.

Okay will do.

So how have people set out this CV?

Like any CV you will need to pad it out a bit. You can put down how Babycow and Marc Blake were positive about your sitcom script.

Quote: Winterlight @ March 17, 2008, 10:58 AM

Like any CV you will need to pad it out a bit. You can put down how Babycow and Marc Blake were positive about your sitcom script.

Yeah, it's more the layout I want to get right really.

Seems to me this college thing is for people who have had sketches performed on the telly and radio, and who are looking to make the next step up.

Sadly I think a lot of us will be ineligible.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 17, 2008, 3:02 PM

Seems to me this college thing is for people who have had sketches performed on the telly and radio, and who are looking to make the next step up.

Sadly I think a lot of us will be ineligible.

Yeah it definitely seems that way to me. I think it's for those who have almost made it and just need that extra push.

So do they just want your writing experience on this CV or do you have to put other qualifications etc?

Put stuff down. They're not going to search your CV until at least you've got passed square one. And if they love it do you really think they're gonna turn around and say 'This guys really good but he's not had enough work produced'?

Quote: roscoff @ March 17, 2008, 4:30 PM

And if they love it do you really think they're gonna turn around and say 'This guys really good but he's not had enough work produced'?

Yes.

They may say that. Met one guy when I was doing standup, whose an on/off writer for 5live. He entered and lost a contest, but lost interestingly enough to be aksed to submit to shows. Look at this as a chnace to show off, and get noticed.

If nothing else you'll have an interesting CV to show prod companies.

How many sketch writers are there who are at the bottom of the ladder? Probably 20 - 30 if you think of the radio sketch shows, and occasional telly stuff.

I'd put good money on all six people who are picked to have had more than a few sketch credits.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 17, 2008, 4:45 PM

How many sketch writers are there who are at the bottom of the ladder? Probably 20 - 30 if you think of the radio sketch shows, and occasional telly stuff.

Not going into exact figures but I'd say there was a lot more than that.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 17, 2008, 4:45 PM

I'd put good money on all six people who are picked to have had more than a few sketch credits.

I think there's always a chance that someone with an exceptional script or sketches might get through to an interview, but I would also put money on the people being picked having a reasonably good track record because if anything, it shows good form when it comes to writing.