Jo Brand in acid-throwing controversy. Page 2

Quote: Chappers @ 13th June 2019, 10:47 PM

Is it? As Rood says I can see some nutters will take her advice.

Isn't this straying dangerously close to the argument that violent video games will inspire violence in life? If you say that some people MIGHT act on it so it shouldn't be said? Because then the whole issue of free speech gets very complex. As it happens I don't think it was particularly funny, especially for someone of Brand's calibre, she was simply doing the comic's go to of getting the best reaction from the live audience. I dread to think what some of the people criticising Brand would do if they heard any of Jerry Sadowitz's act!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 13th June 2019, 11:40 PM

Isn't this straying dangerously close to the argument that violent video games will inspire violence in life?

No, I think the two arguments are significantly different.

The effect of violent video games upon the behaviour of their players is difficult to establish with any certainty. While I have no doubt that they will increase some people's propensity to commit violent acts, it is likely that the vast majority of players will remain constrained by common sense and the threat of prosecution. In short, I believe only bona fide nutters will go out wreaking havoc after watching a violent video game.

What we have in the Jo Brand case, however, is what might reasonably be deemed a very well-publicised celebrity endorsement of extreme violence. Clearly, your average cool, calm, law-abiding citizen is not going to be moved to violence by the joke but, looking along the psychological spectrum of the British public, as we move away from such citizens, we don't have to move all the way to the bona fide nutter department before we find people who are likely to think it either fun or politically appropriate to follow Jo Brand's advice.

The newspapers are whipping up disapproval (some might say hatred) of Nigel Farage and other political figures and it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if, as a result of Jo's suggestion, something stronger than milkshake were to be thrown at somebody in the not too distant future.

As I've said before, I don't think she should be prosecuted for the remark and I don't think she should lose any work as a result of her careless talk. Having said that, however, it was nevertheless a very very silly thing to say in the current socio-political climate.

You make some fair points Rood. Remember when ISIS gunned down the French cartoonist for mentioning their prophet ? Comedy is often the last bastion of peaceful revolt. We complain about the PC mob complaining, well the Daily Mail are baying for blood in a very unfunny article today aimed at her "adoring left leaning lovies".

It was clearly sarcasm, a joke. Comedy will lose its teeth if we allow people to pretend we take comedy literally. We'd be left with just Christmas cracker jokes . Comedy is a none violent way of showing defiance, you could argue without that healthy outlet we there would be more violence. We're British, hand off our sarcasm.

What about these dramas that show you how to commit crimes in great detail, surely those are more likely to be taken literally, should we not ban those too ? Joe's remarks were on a comedy program, called Heresy that stated they were trying to shock. How many warning labels to you need ? I was never a fan of her humour, but I've never forgotten she is a comedian. If I take the DM article literally, this is another left -right clash, nothing to do with comedy.

Victoria needs to ask Katie Piper if it was a good joke and warranted it as a fair target. Been a big fan of Jo, but this has left a nasty taste in the mouth as she didn't need now to step into the gutter, and I have gone off her a bit.

It might have been a lame joke - but obviously was a joke.
She'll be very upset at the outrage, faux or not.

But, with all these entitled and reactionary kids about, maybe someone will think about throwing acid in Farage's face.
And ironically, if that did happen, she would be partly blamed.

How many comedians are now going through their routine and crossing out gags that might offend or cause uproar.
And that has been going on for 30/40 years with the acceptance band getting narrower every year.

The essential problem for Jo Brand is, I believe, that her remarks were not born entirely out of comedy.

When Jo first set foot on the comedy stage, she was immediately identified by audiences as a left-wing, man-hating lesbian. I'm not saying that identification was accurate but it certainly contained elements of truth inasmuch that she is undoubtedly left-wing and arguably no great fan (generally speaking) of men.

If she wishes to make fun of men in general and of right-wing politicians in particular, that's absolutely fine from a comedic standpoint but notice that I say "make fun of" because that's as far as a legitimate comedic attack can ever go.

As soon as a comedian uses incitement to violence as the basis of a "joke", we are in altogether different territory and such jokes are only ever acceptable when the audience is absolutely sure that the comedian, in his/her heart of hearts, wishes no actual harm to the target of the joke.

Yes, Jo's remark was a joke (and quite a funny one) but her problem as I have suggested earlier in this post, is that I believe in her heart of hearts she really would like to see some of the individuals targeted by that joke come to a bit (or even a lot) of harm.

And that's not comedy.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th June 2019, 10:57 AM

And that has been going on for 30/40 years with the acceptance band getting narrower every year.

That's the nub of it. If it becomes too narrow comedy will become extinct. Comedy is normally at someones expense, we're just arguing over who the someone should be. I though we Brits were known for our tolerance , surely we are all allowed to make mistakes (I know I make plenty). Boris and Trump are pretty mistake ridden, so why not Joe ? Of course she made a mistake, but should she be crucified ? If one inappropriate statements should lead to sackings, the Daily Mail's revolving doors would never stop spinning.

I see Oxfam has been decimated over a couple of rouge employees, yet senior figures in Politics have done far worse, whilst helping far fewer. It seems acceptable to go for the soft targets of late.

It was a joke.

Ken Dodd -

What's black and tan and looks good on a tax inspector?

A Rottweiler.

Was that encouraging people to set dogs on tax men (or ladies).

No. Neither was Jo Brand.

This country needs to take a f**king big chill pill.

If just one person is offended - you will hear about it.
Nobody actually listened to the show but they are still outraged.

I actually listened to the show and I''m outraged you didn't. Forgot that it's been running for 15 years, though. Almost as old as Wheel.

Interesting to see Littlejohn defending her in today's Daily Mail.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th June 2019, 8:40 PM

Interesting to see Littlejohn defending her in today's Daily Mail.

There's clearly more to his passionate defence of her right to free speech than meets the eye because he must surely know he's exactly the sort of person Jo would like to dissolve in a bathtub full of acid.

Very strange.

The police have announced that they will NOT be taking action in connection with the recent complaints against Jo Brand.

It was the right decision, I think: she wasn't trying to incite people to throw acid on right-wing politicians, although I believe she was inadvertently admitting she'd like to see it happen.

Oh well, life goes on - and hopefully, nobody will throw acid over anybody in the near future.

I say that for Jo Brand's sake as well as for the recipients of the acid shower.

Thankfully there have been no recent incidents and if there were it's certain Jo Brand would never be on TV again. The penalty is severe which is a good deterrent.

Quote: Will Cam @ 14th June 2019, 3:35 PM

It was a joke.

Sorry Will, but I ask again would Katie Piper think it was a joke and legit target. This is a heinous crime.