Greatest comedy writer Page 7

Peter Kay when he does his stand up. He should stick to that instead of making rubbish sitcoms.

I just read this on John Sullivan. I am sure most of you already knew this but I did not. Its good to learn something new each day.

Sullivan's entrée was an unusual one: a scenery shifter at the BBC, he was so disillusioned by the standards of its comedy programmes that he believed he could do better himself, and, after completing a script, pestered Dennis Main Wilson to read it. The veteran BBC producer did so - not expecting very much because non-commissioned scripts are usually found to be below acceptable quality - and was surprised at its energy and wit. Wilson recommended that it be knocked into shape and screened in Comedy Special, a successor to Comedy Playhouse in which one-off ideas were tried out. The pilot proved a winner, and after some cast and character tinkering, the resulting series caught the public's imagination.

PS sorry, the series was Citizen Smith.

In this order for me.

Spike Milligan - The most influential comedian of all time. Listen to the Goons, it still sounds amazing, if the 'what time is it eccles' skit was written today it would still be hailed as a classic. And the Q series was Monty Python's Flying Circus done 6 months before the Pythons did it. Bit ropey in places but the good stuff was really good. As far as I'm concerned people are still trying to catch up with him today. Even the weirdest of the weird aren't as weird as Spike, (3 weirds...top).

Peter Cook - Everyone was in awe of this man...and rightly so. Far too funny for his own good. I love the fact that he was a guest on the Not Only...Dudley Moore show and was that good they changed the name of the show and had him in it all the time. Just a genius, and he did Derek and Clive, which deserves its place in history for the fact that in it he addressed a letter to the Catholic church with the words "Dear c**ts in charge of religion". I mean that's just funny.

Larry David - Pretty much responsible for all that was good about Seinfeld. It's no coincidence the show went to shit (for the most part) when he scarpered. When he was involved it was unbelievably good. Curb for me just reinforced who the dominant comedic brain on seinfeld belonged too. A great writer of comedy.

I agree with Boits but I would have Gary Shandling instead of Larry David.

Quote: charley rance @ June 14, 2007, 9:35 PM

I just read this on John Sullivan. I am sure most of you already knew this but I did not. Its good to learn something new each day.

Sullivan's entrée was an unusual one: a scenery shifter at the BBC, he was so disillusioned by the standards of its comedy programmes that he believed he could do better himself.

Don't know why he would think that, as he worked on Porridge, which is a classic. He was worked on the famous "Singing in the Rain" sequence of Eric and Ernie. It was him who poured the water on Eric's head.

Peter Kay & Victoria Wood because they write from experience not from the place people want the expected laughs to come from...life is one large superficial comedy...exagerating your misfortunes is'nt necessary comedy...unless your there..comedy is ment to be funny without an explanation...so live...it write...and if it aint evrery'ones milk shake...try again and again. and again..then FCUK it and become number 6 million and one on big brother.

Dennis Main Wilson. Waht a legend.

Diiiidn't actually ever do any writing though. Or did he?

Douglas Kenney anyone? Co-founder and writer for the national lampoon, animal house and caddyshack?

Quote: Matt C @ 6th April 2018, 2:19 AM

Douglas Kenney anyone? Co-founder and writer for the national lampoon, animal house and caddyshack?

11 years overtakes the previous record holder of 10 for me :D

I'm a fan of the humour though so A Futile and Stupid Gesture looks worth checking out. Thanks!