To The Manor Born Page 2

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 31st January 2015, 9:00 PM GMT

Glad to see that BBC2 will repeat this. I'm going to record the first few episodes. Maybe this is something for me.

Something I watched from time to time, but wasn't a big fan.

Could be a good nostalgia trip, it was almost a nostalgia trip the first time round as the world it represented was pretty detached from life for most.

ITV wanted this, they didn't get it but they eventually gained hugely from its success in the form of loose copy cat coffee adds. Owes an awful lot to the success of Butterflies which I don't think was ever acknowledged.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 1st February 2015, 6:11 AM GMT

Owes an awful lot to the success of Butterflies which I don't think was ever acknowledged.

? You'll have to run that by me..........

Will they won't they.

The theme tune is extremely similar to the one from Yes Minister.
Watched the first two episodes. Still haven't decided if it's going to be one of my faves. I like the two main actors though. And the beautiful scenery.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 8th February 2015, 9:02 PM GMT

The theme tune is extremely similar to the one from Yes Minister.

Yes! I've never got around to listening to them together, but I'm sure they must be identical they're so alike.

Currently watching these on BBC2 in the afternoons. I find it interesting to think how my interpretation of them is different some 30 years on. "To The Manor Born" is about as mildly amusing to me as it was back in the day. I'm noticing the script in more detail - it is reasonable enough - and the settings which seem a bit basic. The acting is roughly how I remember it - ok in the case of most of them, better in the case of Peter Bowles - and I always liked Penelope Keith. The main difference is on the level of my engagement as viewer.

At the time, that social class seemed distinct and rather alien to me. That mattered. Now, well, it is more about money than breeding and seems to me considerably less likeable but that is real life. As this is a sitcom, I am seeing it more in sitcom terms. I'm also seeing it more in terms of its era and that in itself seems to override any social class reference points. And in doing so, it feels rather comfortable - that word in comedy which people like or hate - and quite enjoyable. I reckon I have a lot more patience for it now.

Been revisiting this during my flu.

I believe that To The Manor Born is actually one of the Britain's best.
Especially because it overcame the social barrier to which some of the above posters refer.

I think I'm right in saying To The Manor Born was the most successful comedy regarding viewing figures of all the sitcoms in the eighties. That's quite an achievement. But especially, given that it was a socially rather exclusive piece, all the more credit most go to them for creating something to which many could warm.

Once more it's a comedy in which an audience finds likeable characters.
These days we call this comfortable comedy.
Staffing sitcoms with hateful individuals is a present day phenomenon.

To look at her, Penelope Keith's Audrey fforbes-Hamilton has all the potential to be something loathsome like David Brent.
She's pompous, spoilt, xenophobic, has a sense of entitlement, bosses people about and is quite mercenary.
Yet she's still likeable. You root for her.
That is not easy to accomplish.

The whole thing is very solidly put together, which is why you can watch it over and over.

Sure it was never completely side-splitting, but then it never aimed to be.
In that regard its humour must be seen more in the vein of Open All Hours, to which I think it is actually superior. A bold claim, I know.

I think most of all To The Manor Born is not one of the 'cool' sitcoms, which hampers its renown.
In the extras of the box set I've been watching is an interview with the writer who states that everyone always told him that their mothers watched it. No one ever seemed to be watching it themselves.
It was not something to which one admitted.
The viewing figures however would suggest that someone other than elderly mothers must have been watching.
So, a guilty pleasure of sorts, it seems.

P.S. Yes, the opening title music was very alike that of Yes Minister. It was composed by the same man.

I thought the 2007 special was very well-written and detailed.

Peter Bowles is a class act. Just like Geoffrey Whitehead. They both act every one else off the screen whatever they are in, even in minor roles.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 18th April 2015, 10:29 AM BST

Peter Bowles is a class act. Just like Geoffrey Whitehead. They both act every one else off the screen whatever they are in, even in minor roles.

Peter Bowles is indeed quality in this.
Just like Penelope Keith's his part too is a delicate balancing act.
You can see how one could easily have got it very wrong.
Play this too niveau riche or uncaring and it's all over.

But to me the one who steals the show is John Rudling as Brabinger (yes, I admit I needed to Google the actor's name).
His Brabinger is a sort of doddery version of Jeeves. Elegant, with effortless tact, but just on the wrong side of decrepit.

The scene in the tonic water advert where he pours his mistress her drink and holds the bottle up to say 'the little aristocrat' cracks me up every time, without fail.

I can't really think of any actor in this series who falls flat. Everyone seems to be pitch perfect.
The benefit of an older, experienced cast, methinks.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 17th April 2015, 3:49 PM

Been revisiting this during my flu.

I believe that To The Manor Born is actually one of the Britain's best.
Especially because it overcame the social barrier to which some of the above posters refer.

I think I'm right in saying To The Manor Born was the most successful comedy regarding viewing figures of all the sitcoms in the eighties. That's quite an achievement. But especially, given that it was a socially rather exclusive piece, all the more credit most go to them for creating something to which many could warm.

Once more it's a comedy in which an audience finds likeable characters.
These days we call this comfortable comedy.
Staffing sitcoms with hateful individuals is a present day phenomenon.

To look at her, Penelope Keith's Audrey fforbes-Hamilton has all the potential to be something loathsome like David Brent.
She's pompous, spoilt, xenophobic, has a sense of entitlement, bosses people about and is quite mercenary.
Yet she's still likeable. You root for her.
That is not easy to accomplish.

The whole thing is very solidly put together, which is why you can watch it over and over.

Sure it was never completely side-splitting, but then it never aimed to be.
In that regard its humour must be seen more in the vein of Open All Hours, to which I think it is actually superior. A bold claim, I know.

I think most of all To The Manor Born is not one of the 'cool' sitcoms, which hampers its renown.
In the extras of the box set I've been watching is an interview with the writer who states that everyone always told him that their mothers watched it. No one ever seemed to be watching it themselves.
It was not something to which one admitted.
The viewing figures however would suggest that someone other than elderly mothers must have been watching.
So, a guilty pleasure of sorts, it seems.

P.S. Yes, the opening title music was very alike that of Yes Minister. It was composed by the same man.

When I first saw this - as a youngster of 11 - AFH character passed me by, however, thirty plus years later her character is indeed "pompous, spoilt, xenophobic, has a sense of entitlement, bosses people about and is quite mercenary" and I find her quite unpleasant! I feel particularly sorry for the down trodden Marjory.

It's dated badly and certainly no comedy classic. How can a woman still have a butler in such a tiny house ? Is she that lazy ?
It was just about acceptable 35 years ago, but now it's corny and embarrassing.
Ordering people about isn't funny anymore !

Quote: PW 69 @ 3rd January 2018, 2:06 PM

It's dated badly and certainly no comedy classic. How can a woman still have a butler in such a tiny house ? Is she that lazy ?
It was just about acceptable 35 years ago, but now it's corny and embarrassing.
Ordering people about isn't funny anymore !

Indeed

Quote: PW 69 @ 3rd January 2018, 2:06 PM

How can a woman still have a butler in such a tiny house ?

I once saw a sitcom episode in which somebody stuck his head out of a train window, got it knocked off and went walking down the track trying to find it.

If we're going to start complaining about improbabilities in sitcom, I think Audrey fforbes-Hamilton's butler might come quite some way down the list of main offenders.

To the Manor Born has many qualities not least of which is the sheer elegance of every scene featuring interaction between Penelope Keith and Peter Bowles.

It's certainly "of its time" but it's none the worse for that.