Most despicable sitcom character?

I have just been watching Him & Her (which is great - especially Series 2 onwards) but I just hate the character of Laura. Her character is funny, and really enhances the show but as a person she is disgusting! And seems to be getting worse with each passing series.

Just wondered if anyone could challenge her for the most despicable sitcom character crown? Finchy from the Office could be up there!

Any character from the League Of Gentlemen, Psychoville or Inside Number 9 would be in the running for sure.

Boycie, at least in the OFAH episode A Losing Streak. He behaves like a ruthless mafia boss in that episode. Bastard!

Porridge's Grouty.

How about Jill Tyrell in Nighty Night

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd February 2016, 10:13 PM GMT

Good one

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd February 2016, 10:13 PM GMT

I think that might be a winner. Maybe Timothy's mother in Sorry! Or Basil Fawlty.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 22nd February 2016, 9:46 PM GMT

Boycie, at least in the OFAH episode A Losing Streak. He behaves like a ruthless mafia boss in that episode. Bastard!

Porridge's Grouty.

If we're talking OFAH, it's got to be Slater. Or maybe the Driscol Brothers. Del & Rodney's (alright, not Rodney's) Dad. The posh woman who tries to rip off Del by selling his Nan's (stolen) painting. Or dare I say, sometimes Del himself.

Great topic!

Pete from Pete vs Life.

Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Cartman in South Park.

I'd like to think that none of these characters are villains, they're just ones that will do anything to get what they want!

Quote: Scartledge @ 23rd February 2016, 12:04 AM GMT

Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I thought the people around him were way more despicable! He wasn't exactly an angel though.

Do we mean 'despicable' as in we hate them and don't appreciate their character, or are we looking at it from a different angle. I.E Porridge. Fletcher may find Mackay despicable but we find him funny..

Frank in Mash seemed to have no redeeming features.
In Porridge I would nominate Horrible Ives.

JIll Tyrell is indeed a good nomination.

I would also suggest the wonderful character of Jimmy (Harry) from The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (Fairly Secret Army). A hater of everything!

Sir Arnold in Yes, Minister.

Harry Grout

Don from How Not to Live Your Life deserves a mention. Especially in the first series, before it dawned on the writers that nobody in their right mind would root for or care about him the way they apparently wanted the viewer to.

Siblings had the same problem... and the same changes to characters' personalities were made for the second series.

Rigsby has every failing known to humanity, and is the best sitcom character ever, in my opinion.