Race. Society. Prejudice. PC. Page 13

An interesting concept related to PC language is the "Euphemism treadmill": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphemism_treadmill#The_.22Euphemism_Treadmill.22

Basically connotations change over time and expressions get increasingly "sanitised". One example they give is "toilet": not wishing to think of what the word REALLY refers to, and all the association with bodily functions, images of the person squatting down and doing a shit, etc., it has been replaced with "bathroom", a more distanced euphemism. But this word too will become closely linked in our minds to bodily function etc. so another alternative will be found for "polite" conversation. "Toilet" itself is a euphemism. I thought it was interesting anyway. It's the same with PC language.
If one wants a shorthand for my "dialogue of the deaf" argument, I was saying that "deaf" has two meanings. One refers to an unwillingness to listen and the other, to a disabled person. "Dialogue of the deaf" uses the first meaning. People who take offence because they think it refers to deaf people are misunderstanding.

If they still have a problem, as I say, it's with the word "deaf" itself, for having two meanings in the first place. Now, interestingly enough, the "PC brigade" have decreed that the word "deaf" is inappropriate anyway, and that the term "hearing impaired" should be used.

It's like taking offence when I say "I'll put the TV on mute" because it suggests I am about to crush a person incapable of speech with the TV! Completely different meaning.

That's not to say that if people get offended by the term it shouldn't be changed - but again this is wholly "PC" territory, which TBH I have little sympathy with. IMO in this sort of situation people should just develop a thicker skin. It's CERTAINLY not bigotry being levelled at them.

When the reader misinterprets something as being offensive surely it's up to the reader to "get over it"? Certainly if they're in a significant minority. Surely this is what anti-PC sentiment boils down to.

If you google "dialogue of the deaf" the first hit is in a Guardian article, so IMO its lefty credentials are assured! Laughing out loud

Quote: David Bussell @ March 2, 2008, 10:01 AM

Oh, so now we're hating on deaf people are we?!

No. As explained. One definition of "Deaf" from the dictionary: "Refusing to listen, heed, or be persuaded; unreasonable or unyielding: deaf to all advice."

It does not refer to deaf people!!

The irony is that we're having a dialogue-of-the-deaf about the term "dialogue of the deaf"!!
A "meta-dialogue-of-the-deaf", if you will.

Quote: Curt @ March 2, 2008, 3:06 PM

I do wish there was a short form though it's quite the mouth full to say.

How about "an epo"?

an emo epo?

Quote: James Williams @ March 2, 2008, 3:25 PM

One example they give is "toilet": not wishing to think of what the word REALLY refers to, and all the association with bodily functions, images of the person squatting down and doing a shit, etc., it has been replaced with "bathroom", a more distanced euphemism.

You can tell it's a Yank article, can't you? I've never heard a toilet referred to as a bathroom anywhere but in the US (possibly Canada, Curt?). It's not a bathroom. It doesn't have a bath.

Quote: Aaron @ March 2, 2008, 3:37 PM

You can tell it's a Yank article, can't you? I've never heard a toilet referred to as a bathroom anywhere but in the US (possibly Canada, Curt?). It's not a bathroom. It doesn't have a bath.

We use that term in our family... we're not Yanks!

I often have a yank in the bathroom, mind.

Quote: zooo @ March 2, 2008, 3:31 PM

an emo epo?

Cutting their wrists so much that the drugs in the bloodstream don't make it to the brain, and they fit to death. ;)

James you have said several times that people don't listen. Feelings are personal and no one can change anyone elses. One can get someone to change their opinion however, but you actually didn't listen to my point of view without crying racist. Maybe with more listening you could have perhaps brought me around to your way of thinking but you didn't listen to me and what I was trying to get across

Quote: James Williams @ March 2, 2008, 3:39 PM

We use that term in our family... we're not Yanks!

Well, that's different entirely(ish). In your house, presumably you do have a bath, and so it is a bathroom. It's when the toilets in a restaurant, for example, are referred to as a bathroom that it becomes bloody strange.

Quote: James Williams @ March 2, 2008, 3:39 PM

I often have a yank in the bathroom, mind.

>_<

Quote: bushbaby @ March 2, 2008, 3:40 PM

James you have said several times that people don't listen. Feelings are personal and no one can change anyone elses. One can get someone to change their opinion however, but you actually didn't listen to my point of view without crying racist. Maybe with more listening you could have perhaps brought me around to your way of thinking but you didn't listen to me and what I was trying to get across

I have admitted that I'm as guilty as the next person. The thing with these points of view is that they're often pretty deeply entrenched. It's like religion. People trip over themselves to convince others but know they will never be convinced themselves.

I think the term "cry racist" paints me as a petty McCarthyist. Really, I think your views have been some of the most extreme on the forum.

well what do call the bathroom if you only have a shower in there Wave

Small.

(Hi!)

Quote: angie @ March 2, 2008, 3:47 PM

Laughing out loud A badly built bathroom? Welcome to the BSG btw Wave

Quote: Aaron @ March 2, 2008, 3:41 PM

Well, that's different entirely(ish). In your house, presumably you do have a bath, and so it is a bathroom. It's when the toilets in a restaurant, for example, are referred to as a bathroom that it becomes bloody strange.

>_<

I call mine G W bush, as in I'm pissing in GWB, or giving him a pound of jobbies, serve the monkey faced bastard right. Apologies for offence caaused to Monkeys.

Quote: angie @ March 2, 2008, 3:47 PM

The shitter!

Hmm, I suppose that would be particularly worrying if there was only a shower in there...

Quote: Aaron @ March 2, 2008, 3:37 PM

Aaron, people of all nationalities in London (especially English) say 'I'm going to the bathroom' or 'can I use your bathroom' when they mean toilet. They do this all the time. You'll find it's very common if you get out more! ;)