Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 95

Leave it there, setup a new website with one of these drag and drop website creators. Only add relevant content. Keep it simple. Link it to a Twitter news feed, that way you don't have to edit the website, the Twitter will update it for you.

Figure out what you want to achieve. Because I don't think people will come looking for you without good reason (eg. I wonder if that lady who made the funny YouTube videos has her own website).

You really have to "pump out" content these days to remain relevant. Otherwise people more proactive will just dominate you.

The service provider that hosts your website should be able to provide you with log files from the webserver for your site.

This will list every single access to the site, every file, every picture.

By juggling log files in Excel, sorting and counting you can extract lots of information about who is visiting your site and how often.

Some hosting services provide ready-analysed log information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The keywords to search for tips on how to improve the rate of access are
[search engine optimisation]

put that into Google and you will find mucho information on the matter.

Quote: Lee @ 30th August 2015, 12:38 PM BST

Leave it there, setup a new website with one of these drag and drop website creators. Only add relevant content. Keep it simple. Link it to a Twitter news feed, that way you don't have to edit the website, the Twitter will update it for you.

Figure out what you want to achieve. Because I don't think people will come looking for you without good reason (eg. I wonder if that lady who made the funny YouTube videos has her own website).

You really have to "pump out" content these days to remain relevant. Otherwise people more proactive will just dominate you.

Thank you Lee. That makes good sense. Do you mean things like WordPress and Wix?

Quote: billwill @ 30th August 2015, 1:19 PM BST

The service provider that hosts your website should be able to provide you with log files from the webserver for your site.

This will list every single access to the site, every file, every picture.

By juggling log files in Excel, sorting and counting you can extract lots of information about who is visiting your site and how often.

Some hosting services provide ready-analysed log information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The keywords to search for tips on how to improve the rate of access are
(search engine optimisation)

put that into Google and you will find mucho information on the matter.

Thank you very much Bill. Eh? :$ I do understand the 'search engine optimisation' bit. :)

Quote: Loopey @ 30th August 2015, 3:20 PM BST

Thank you Lee. That makes good sense. Do you mean things like WordPress and Wix?

Yes!

Hey Loopey - what is your website address? Marketing is my thing and I'd be happy to tell you what it needs

Quote: Loopey @ 30th August 2015, 3:20 PM BST

Thank you very much Bill. Eh? :$ I do understand the 'search engine optimisation' bit. :)

Quote: Davey Jay @ 30th August 2015, 7:20 PM BST

Hey Loopey - what is your website address? Marketing is my thing and I'd be happy to tell you what it needs

Pm'd you.

Why do American sites come up when I search for stuff on Google? That didn't used to happen.

are you using the .co.uk suffix?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 25th September 2015, 1:58 PM BST

Um... I don't know what you mean. :$

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 25th September 2015, 1:58 PM BST

I think he means start from www.google.co.uk instead of www.google.com

Quote: billwill @ 26th September 2015, 1:07 AM BST

I think he means start from www.google.co.uk instead of www.google.com

I was going to say that myself, but found that even if I try the .com it still comes up .co.uk

You can view say the American Amazon site with the .com suffix (as you can with any in the world with that country's suffix), but I don't think it is possible to use Google.com in this country, so it is a bit of a mystery to me how you are doing this Loopey. ?

Easy if you are paranoid and use a VPN service in which the other end is in the USA.

Ah. Unimpressed

When I use Google.co.uk I still get American website results, unless I specifically select 'search tools --> any country --> country: the UK' and only show UK websites.

Phone got wet, still worked fine, but charged intermittently. I tried cleaning the USB port, and now it won't charge at all...