Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 97

Thanks Bill. I do take these things slowly as I don't chance dabbling in things I'm not sure of. I've backed up most of the things on your list and will make sure I print out relevant emails, though I could always access them elsewhere.

Tomorrow the deed will be done and if it doesn't work out, you will all hear my roars of rage wherever you may be in Britain and beyond.

Quote: keewik @ 15th March 2016, 4:22 PM GMT

Thanks Bill. I do take these things slowly as I don't chance dabbling in things I'm not sure of. I've backed up most of the things on your list and will make sure I print out relevant emails, though I could always access them elsewhere.

Tomorrow the deed will be done and if it doesn't work out, you will all hear my roars of rage wherever you may be in Britain and beyond.

How will we know if Keewik can not access the internet any more? or how long do we wait before sending a search party?

Strumpet

Quote: Strumpet @ 17th March 2016, 6:27 AM GMT

How will we know if Keewik can not access the internet any more? or how long do we wait before sending a search party?

Strumpet

You want to send a search pary into darkest Glascow ???

Not on your life.. you are safe in Aus and I'm not chancing it. Cool Teary

I seem to have downloaded it all successfully and now I'm struggling to find out where everything is hidden. Only time will solve it.

The irony is that it hasn't solved my original problem which was: my radio mouse went on the blink and I had to order a new mouse and keyboard (they only seem to come together) - a Microsoft Comfort 5000 radio contraption. Unfortunately some of the keys on the keyboard don't do what my previous one did (e.g.nothing happens when I press the one which previously took my into my documents) and the wheel on the mouse isn't magnifying things. Since they both have problems, I've assumed there's not a fault and a label on the box said they were suitable for Windows 10. This was why I decided to upgrade but, alack, it hasn't made any difference to the mouse/keyboard problems.

Quote: keewik @ 17th March 2016, 3:10 PM GMT

I seem to have downloaded it all successfully and now I'm struggling to find out where everything is hidden. Only time will solve it.

The irony is that it hasn't solved my original problem which was: my radio mouse went on the blink and I had to order a new mouse and keyboard (they only seem to come together) - a Microsoft Comfort 5000 radio contraption. Unfortunately some of the keys on the keyboard don't do what my previous one did (e.g.nothing happens when I press the one which previously took my into my documents) and the wheel on the mouse isn't magnifying things. Since they both have problems, I've assumed there's not a fault and a label on the box said they were suitable for Windows 10. This was why I decided to upgrade but, alack, it hasn't made any difference to the mouse/keyboard problems.

Keewik look in settings then devices, you may have to tweek your mouse to make it do what you want it to.

Strumpet

Quote: billwill @ 17th March 2016, 1:03 PM GMT

You want to send a search pary into darkest Glascow ???

Not on your life.. you are safe in Aus and I'm not chancing it. Cool Teary

Look search party or rescue party doesn't matter as long as it is some sort of party, good food, good drink and good company then I'm in.

Strumpet

Quote: Strumpet @ 18th March 2016, 12:36 AM GMT

Keewik look in settings then devices, you may have to tweek your mouse to make it do what you want it to.

Strumpet

I'll try that.

My laptop with Windows 10 doesn't wake from its sleep state and I have to do a hard reset. I'm guessing it's at the point when the hard drive turns off. I've gone through the settings and allowed everything to wake up the laptop from sleep and that appeared to work, until I reset the laptop and now it's back to hanging in sleep again.

Any thoughts?

Just bought a new printer - Epson £39 with built in scanner. Bargain. :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st March 2016, 12:01 PM GMT

Just bought a new printer - Epson £39 with built in scanner. Bargain. :)

What are the ink prices like?
My Epson is a bloody money-pit on that front.
Good printers, though.

Quote: Lee @ 21st March 2016, 9:42 AM GMT

My laptop with Windows 10 doesn't wake from its sleep state and I have to do a hard reset. I'm guessing it's at the point when the hard drive turns off. I've gone through the settings and allowed everything to wake up the laptop from sleep and that appeared to work, until I reset the laptop and now it's back to hanging in sleep again.

Any thoughts?

Win 10 no longer has the Hibernate mode on the menu, but I suspect it is still there & simply goes into hibernate after some interval in sleep mode.

To wake from Hibernate you need to use the Power On button. Is that what you mean by Hard Reset?

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st March 2016, 12:06 PM GMT

Good printers, though.

All inkjet printers nowadays seem to sell at less than manufacturing cost and the manufacturer makes his money on the sale of ink cartridges.

Think of it as a monetary deposit followed by rental (proportional to the amount you use it) and it doesn't hurt so much.

Quote: billwill @ 21st March 2016, 1:24 PM GMT

Win 10 no longer has the Hibernate mode on the menu, but I suspect it is still there & simply goes into hibernate after some interval in sleep mode.

To wake from Hibernate you need to use the Power On button. Is that what you mean by Hard Reset?

I mean I have to hold the power on button down until it completely reboots my laptop.

Dunno then, sorry. Try just a 1 second press and wait.

Poor awakening/sleeping is usually a driver problem.

Can't win them all! :)

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st March 2016, 12:06 PM GMT

Good printers, though.

Around £26 for Epson or £17 for compatible (set of 4), but that is nothing compared to the inks I used to get for my old Epson, which were 58p each!

And yes, I wouldn't have any other make - my old Epson was over 10 years old. My previous was a Canon, which was only 18 months old when it died.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st March 2016, 4:13 PM GMT

Around £26 for Epson or £17 for compatible (set of 4), but that is nothing compared to the inks I used to get for my old Epson, which were 58p each!

And yes, I wouldn't have any other make - my old Epson was over 10 years old. My previous was a Canon, which was only 18 months old when it died.

But that Epson in those days probably cost 10 times as much as a modern subsidised printer.