Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 99

There is also the slim chance it's a playful poltergeist.

:O :(

:D One that loves beer and Monty Python. Probably a handy entity to have around.

Have a read through the system event logs which will describe what initiated the action and it could turn out to be a simple explanation. Also a good idea to spend an evening backing up important files then running a scan disk and virus check. If that gets you nowhere and it keeps doing it then a faulty PSU or RAM could be the cause. I've had problems with both and had to replace them so if you've not replaced these for a long time it could be a factor. If the computer has at least two sticks of RAM you can test with one inserted at a time.

A universal fixing tool should do it.

In my world there's little that can't be mended or destroyed with a massive hammer. If a good whack sorts it - great. If it obliterates it - it was a witch anyway, so get a new one. ;)

Do I have to do this?

Subject: Reminder: Action required for users of the Windows Live Mail 2012 application

Dear User,

Earlier this year we introduced a new Outlook.com that will help you collaborate with others, focus on what matters, and get more done. The new Outlook.com delivers an exciting set of new experiences across web, phone, and desktop, and we're eager for you to start using it.

It appears that you are currently using the Windows Live Mail 2012 application to connect to your Outlook.com account. The Windows Live Mail 2012 application does not support the synchronization technologies used by the new Outlook.com. When account upgrades begin at the end of June, you will no longer be able to receive email sent to your Outlook.com account in the Windows Live Mail 2012 application. Rest assured, you can always access your email by logging into Outlook.com from any web browser, and you will continue to have access to all your data that is currently in the Windows Live Mail 2012 application.

If you currently use the Windows Live Mail 2012 application, we recommend that you switch to the Mail app in Windows today. The Mail app is built in to Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10, and has a more modern design. To begin using it, simply launch the app and add your Outlook.com account.

If you are using Windows 7, you can upgrade to a newer version of Windows to enjoy the Mail app and the other benefits. If you do not wish to upgrade, you can access your account via a web browser, or, you can take advantage of a free one-year subscription of Office 365 Personal , and use Outlook 2016 to connect to your account.* This Office 365 subscription also includes other productivity applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel. It works on Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10.

Please take action before June 30th, 2016, which is when we'll begin upgrading accounts that currently use the Windows Live Mail 2012 application. If you have more questions, please find answers to common FAQs in this help article, or you can contact Microsoft support.

We recognize that changes like this can be difficult, and apologize for any inconvenience this causes you. We hope that you'll enjoy the benefits of moving to the new Outlook.com.

Sincerely,
Outlook.com team

*Must redeem by October 15, 2016. Valid for first time Office 365 subscriber. Credit card required; cancel anytime at www.office.com/myaccount. See full terms here.

Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our Privacy Statement.

Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052

Quote: Loopey @ 14th June 2016, 1:44 PM BST

Do I have to do this?

It looks genuine because I Googled the subject line of the email and found this on the Microsoft website.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oaccount-oother/reminder-action-required-for-users-of-the-windows/9eb32244-1671-4d8e-95c7-09bef5f4c5c4

Some of the responses from users on that link confirm it's genuine but not very well received but then Microsoft are always getting it in the neck when they announce changes :D

It's always a good idea to read the email headers which tells you the 'real' sending email address. It's very easy to spoof an email and make it look like it's sent from a different address but it's impossible to fake the headers which makes it a very usefull tool. In this case the true sending address is probably microsoft.com because this appears to be a genuine mail shot but there will be times you get an email purporting to be from someone you know (and usually asking for something) but the headers tell you the email address that sent the mail is something else that clearly tells you the mail is not from the person they saying it's from.

It is genuine, but in my opinion their suggested replacement (the Win 10 Mail App) is crap and it yet another tool for Microsoft to harvest your lists of contacts.

I recommend using the free software Thunderbird instead.

Thank you both.

Do any of you sexy people know how to diagnose a faulty laptop hard drive? It keeps hanging, especially when using windows explorer.

No, does that mean I'm sexy, or not sexy?

There are plenty free programs out there that will stress test your HD
And look for bad sectors.
Try those first.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 24th May 2017, 10:07 PM

There are plenty free programs out there that will stress test your HD
And look for bad sectors.
Try those first.

I looked at those but I'm not sure which ones to trust.

Quote: Lee @ 24th May 2017, 8:50 PM

Do any of you sexy people know how to diagnose a faulty laptop hard drive? It keeps hanging, especially when using windows explorer.

Hanging from what? A tree? A gibbet?

Curtain rail.