As writers are we overly critical of comedy?

It was something that occured to me especially when thinking about the thread regarding That Mitchell and Webb look, but also a lot of the other discussions of popular comedies.

I watched the above mentioned programme twice, once being overly cynical and once really trying to enjoy it (trying to emulate the way I watch an act who is on at my local Stand-up New Act Night) and the second time I managed to find most if not all of the sketches really funny and genuinely laughed out loud.

The long winded point I am making is do we watch TV comedy in a overly cynical way as a sort of defence mechanism so our own comedy efforts seem funnier in comparison. (And also in my case watch TV stuff in a cynical way so I can maintain my belief that Radio is better).

Hmm I prefer to think of myself as a rather bitter person. Watching successful TV writers, like a frustrated dogger in a carpark full of steamed up windows.

Your probably right, though over analysis is an easy trap to fall into. I've often found as a stand up, that the creative sue of language is a poor second to good quality swearing. A well kicked arse is always funny.

It's just all some of us have, crouched over our laptops, eating cold beans from a tin, and sipping our Imperial Tsar vodka with Aldi Coke.

Quote: sootyj @ February 29, 2008, 5:32 PM

Hmm I prefer to think of myself as a rather bitter person. Watching successful TV writers, like a frustrated dogger in a carpark full of steamed up windows.

Your probably right, though over analysis is an easy trap to fall into. I've often found as a stand up, that the creative sue of language is a poor second to good quality swearing. A well kicked arse is always funny.

It's just all some of us have, crouched over our laptops, eating cold beans from a tin, and sipping our Imperial Tsar vodka with Aldi Coke.

Tsar vodka? Whatever, moneybags - it's a cracked mug of Morrinov's round my gaffe.

I was writing about an idealised night, when I was glowing in the good fortune of a £5 payout for 3,000 skits, form which one word was used. That word was bum. Usually it's a Tuckfast for me, that Turps and Buckfast.

Yes. Thats that sorted then . . .

I think I used to be way overly-critical, but kind of mellowed a lot when I realised that there's no such thing as the 'perfect' comedy. Some you get straight away, some takes a long time to get into, some you'll never get into but others will and you can sort of see why. (*)

On the whole, I let a lot of things pass and stuff has to be really, properly shit for me to comment.

Dan

(*) Except for Bo' Selecta which is the most properly shite thing in the whole history of comedy ever, and needs to be commented on at every opportunity if only to remind unfunny, non-writers that they can still get something commissioned on television.

NO! I am not a pro so I don't feel I have the right to be too critical. If I like something I say I do. If I don't, I say I don't.

I find people on this forum are actually very kind in their critics of comedy writings. Check out any other 'fan forums' for other genres and you will find nothing but hate. I think this cartoon describes it well:

I do think we are a little over critical of American comedy on this forum though, even if a lot of the main stream stuff is crap (like their family comedies yuk!).

Of course we are...
When we see something woefully unfunny we know we could have written something better.
When we see something pretty funny we know we could have written something that good.
When we see something very funny we're jealous and and have to find something wrong with it.

At least that's how a bitter sod like me sees it. And I'm sure if I or any of us 'made it', we'd expect to have our work slagged-off on forums such as this by other writers, and not feel hard done by.

(In defence of comedy writers being overly-critical I would say that we probably watch more comedy than a member of the general public and our expectations are skewed. Also, a lot of the time, even if you watch a joke that's very good, you've anticipated how it pans out because you're analysing the writing and not just the performance. Sometimes it's difficult to switch off the writer's bit of your brain and just watch something to have a laugh and enjoy yourself.)

n.b. the highest praise I can give a joke, was it made me envious of the writers talent. This writing lark has converted my once sonerous laugh, to a pathetic chin rub. Damn you comedy!

Quote: Ondupe @ February 29, 2008, 5:27 PM

The long winded point I am making is do we watch TV comedy in a overly cynical way as a sort of defence mechanism so our own comedy efforts seem funnier in comparison.

As a fan and viewer, surrounded by hundreds of you writey types, I can categorically state in 100% confidence that yes, you do. It's not the reason, but whether it's a reason or not, I wouldn't like to speculate.

Quote: David Bussell @ February 29, 2008, 5:36 PM

Tsar vodka? Whatever, moneybags - it's a cracked mug of Morrinov's round my gaffe.

vodka WOW! it's ASDA instant coffee at 39p a jar (and without milk or sugar) at mine.. when the gas is on..

I like comedies because they're funny and make me smile.

- Paul Watson

Instant coffee, it's mud in an old jam jar, warmed in the sun cos we have no gas.

Besides isn't cynicism an integral part of even the mildest comedy?

I think I am more critical of mediocre comedy than I was before I started writing. That's because it's such a waste of opportunity.