Double RIP Page 2

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th June 2015, 9:31 AM BST

Not a sport though Steve, although many believe it is.

Now you're sarcastically talking about something completely different; as I said to Steve, people who watch this crap think it is a sport and it would never occur to them that the "result" is a foregone conclusion.

I expect there are some who watch it do so for the "entertainment", but methinks the majority believe it is for real.

Nobody thinks it's a sport or have believed it's real for at least 30 years. That's the whole point. There's no hoodwinking going on, no pretence of it being a sport. It's a sports based soap opera. If they occasionally turned to camera and said 'I didn't really hit him' it would very much lessen the effect.

You don't watch EastEnders and constantly question the reality of it.

I used to watch WWE years ago, got a bit bored with it. At it's best it's a thrilling, exciting, physically impressive show to watch. At it's worst it's insulting, offensive rubbish.

I do have respect for the guys (and girls) who do it. Unless you are one of the top guys, it's low paid, high risk, long hours. 90% of them clearly do it for the love of it. They may be working together rather than against each other, but it's no less dangerous than boxing, rugby or motorsport.

English wrestling in the 60's and 70's was very entertaining. At least for the comedy and the old ladies that used to bash the wrestlers with their handbags.
Each had a unique gimmick that was always funny.

Gorgeous George was always losing and about to be beaten when the other wrestler made the mistake of ruffling his beautifully coiffured hair.
This made George mad and he would get out of the hold into pirouette and then win the match in one move.

Big Daddy and his 'easy easy' chants

And 'Cry baby' Jim Brakes who always had a stamping and crying fit when he was losing

Funny stuff.

Pro-Wrestling is a long play game, by which I mean if you're talented at it (as in you make fake fighting look real and become popular amongst fans) you're more likely to win more or be placed in the more high profile matches. So whilst it's technically predetermined fight by fight, generally your abilities and talent get rewarded and you will literally win or win as your career advances.

Some guys go straight to the top because they have "the look", which is just how is goes in this world with anything, whilst others slug their guts out and earn that top spot through years of performing in less desirable venues building their way up to television.

Which is all a long way from where we started with the deaths of Christopher Lee and Ron Moody........... >_<

I wonder if they liked wrestling? Huh?

They did.

I can't believe that people on here genuinely believe that wrestling fans believe the sport is real. Years back the wrestlers tried to keep up the pretence but those days are long gone.

For those that insult wrestlers don't forget they are essentially stuntmen & actors at the same time & often they don't have the luxury of constant takes to get it right. You might not be a fan but don't assume that wrestlers aren't talented.

Dusty Rhodes was a legit superstar in the industry and deserves as much respect as Christopher Lee, Ron Moody or anyone else.

Quote: Ian Morgan @ 12th June 2015, 3:54 PM BST

Dusty Rhodes was a legit superstar in the industry and deserves as much respect as Christopher Lee, Ron Moody or anyone else.

No way José

Yeah, he was also a human being, Herc.

Quote: Lee @ 12th June 2015, 5:22 PM BST

Yeah, he was also a human being, Herc.

That's off the wall, >_< no one is saying that - probably a nice bloke guy.

If Lee's playing the moral card, you know things have gone seriously wrong. :O

I can only speak for this side of the Atlantic, but I'd never heard of Ron Moody and I'm sure that his name is is nowhere near as recognizable to Americans as Dusty Rhodes'.

Quote: DaButt @ 12th June 2015, 6:41 PM BST

I can only speak for this side of the Atlantic, but I'd never heard of Ron Moody and I'm sure that his name is is nowhere near as recognizable to Americans as Dusty Rhodes'.

Maybe, maybe but have you never seen the film version of Lionel Bart's musical "Oliver!" ?

And methinks more people in The States would have heard of Christopher Lee than your wrestler.

Quote: zooo @ 12th June 2015, 5:49 PM BST

If Lee's playing the moral card, you know things have gone seriously wrong. :O

:O

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th June 2015, 7:59 PM BST

Maybe, maybe but have you never seen the film version of Lionel Bart's musical "Oliver!" ?

And methinks more people in The States would have heard of Christopher Lee than your wrestler.

To be honest, I've never seen the movie. Most Americans would probably think you were referring to half of Steely Dan if you asked them about Fagin. I don't think Dickens is nearly as popular here as he is in the UK.

I think most people would recognize Lee's characters in Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, but I'm not sure that the name recognition is there for everyone. I'll guarantee you that Dusty Rhodes was more popular than any of them in Florida during the seventies and eighties.

Quote: Lee @ 12th June 2015, 8:53 PM BST

:O

Laughing out loud

Quote: DaButt @ 12th June 2015, 8:55 PM BST

To be honest, I've never seen the movie. Most Americans would probably think you were referring to half of Steely Dan if you asked them about Fagin. I don't think Dickens is nearly as popular here as he is in the UK.

I think most people would recognize Lee's characters in Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, but I'm not sure that the name recognition is there for everyone. I'll guarantee you that Dusty Rhodes was more popular than any of them in Florida during the seventies and eighties.

Fair enough. :)