Double RIP

Two great actors, both a very good age:

Christopher Lee 93

Ron Moody 91

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th June 2015, 6:50 PM BST

Two great actors, both a very good age:

Christopher Lee 93

Ron Moody 91

Weird. I mentioned Christopher Lee just the other day as he had the same birthday as Steve Sunshine. Luckily, Steve is still with us all and may well make it to his 94th birthday in 2016.

And jazz great Ornette Coleman and American wrestling star from the seventies, Dusty Rhodes.

Quote: DaButt @ 11th June 2015, 8:46 PM BST

And jazz great Ornette Coleman and American wrestling star from the seventies, Dusty Rhodes.

I tend to go for Sun Ra and people of his ilk but Ornette Coleman was really, really far out man.

RIP to a very significant figure in innovative music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwGJ5VxFjI8 :)

Quote: DaButt @ 11th June 2015, 8:46 PM BST

American wrestling star from the seventies, Dusty Rhodes.

Oh yeah, someone world famous. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th June 2015, 8:55 PM BST

I saw some British wrestling fans posting about his death, so nyaaah.

I meet Ron Moody when he was doing Oliver! in Canterbury. Wonderful performer. Was in Beyond Our Ken but thought he wasn't very good so departed early.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 11th June 2015, 8:49 PM BST

I tend to go for Sun Ra and people of his ilk but Ornette Coleman was really, really far out man.

RIP to a very significant figure in innovative music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwGJ5VxFjI8 :)

I haven't got many jazz albums in my CD collection but he's one of the few jazz artists* I've got albums from...The Shape Of Jazz To Come and Change Of Century.

RIP

* The others being: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck, Eric Dolphy...and *cough cough* Weather Report.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 11th June 2015, 9:52 PM BST

I haven't got many jazz albums in my CD collection but he's one of the few jazz artists* I've got albums from...The Shape Of Jazz To Come and Change Of Century.

RIP

* The others being: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck, Eric Dolphy...and *cough cough* Weather Report.

I don't think you should cough on Weather Report. Zawinul was ace. You and I are in the same sort of ball park on jazz although it's a work in progress for me. My more difficult studies that I go back to now and then to acquire more knowledge. Inevitably there is something new or old that really interests me. I know you are not very worldy (as opposed to worldly) but I still love this essentially psychedelic take on JZ's "Black Market". I've stuck the original one on here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knEJzNFUSUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHh5xNdmuek

Oh and also this very different one which I plug at every available opportunity as it is so great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gujw_U0uR5k

.....predictably I like a lot of jazz that jazz fans don't reckon is proper jazz.

This is among my favourites from this decade. I think it's really wonderful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eKWeYaWKz0

Sure this is the appropriate place for such arcane stuff?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th June 2015, 8:55 PM BST

Dusty Rhodes is world famous......if you watch wrestling. If you were going to list the biggest names ever in wrestling, he might just about make the top ten.

As well as being NWA World champion multiple times and having hour long classic matches with Ric Flair, when he was a writer/booker he created a technique now referred to as the 'Dusty finish'. This is when a match is ended in controversy, the face (good guy) is announced as the winner, then the decision is reversed by the referee due to a technicality or some dastardly cheating by the heel (bad guy). It's used to continue a feud and set up a potential rematch at the next event. It's used all the time now.

The only thing wrong with Dusty is that he looked a lot like my late Aunt Ivy

Odd looking man. At least his wrestler sons look normal
Quote: DougWonnacott @ 12th June 2015, 1:18 AM BST

Dusty Rhodes is world famous......if you watch wrestling. If you were going to list the biggest names ever in wrestling, he might just about make the top ten.

As well as being NWA World champion multiple times and having hour long classic matches with Ric Flair, when he was a writer/booker he created a technique now referred to as the 'Dusty finish'. This is when a match is ended in controversy, the face (good guy) is announced as the winner, then the decision is reversed by the referee due to a technicality or some dastardly cheating by the heel (bad guy). It's used to continue a feud and set up a potential rematch at the next event. It's used all the time now.

And who writes the scripts for all this? I'm sorry (am I?) but people who believe in this guff need to take a serious look at why they are wasting their time on this earth watching all this theatrical bollocks.

My father always used to say 'wrestling is the only sport you can't place a bet on'.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th June 2015, 4:49 AM BST

And who writes the scripts for all this? I'm sorry (am I?) but people who believe in this guff need to take a serious look at why they are wasting their time on this earth watching all this theatrical bollocks.

They probably watch it for all the theatrics?

I'd recommend you give scripted television, film, stage or books a try, because writers can take stories and ideas in an entertaining and interesting direction.

I'm really surprised you've never come across a piece of scripted entertainment you like! :O

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th June 2015, 7:29 AM BST

My father always used to say 'wrestling is the only sport you can't place a bet on'.

Not a sport though Steve, although many believe it is.

Quote: Lee @ 12th June 2015, 7:30 AM BST

They probably watch it for all the theatrics?

I'd recommend you give scripted television, film, stage or books a try, because writers can take stories and ideas in an entertaining and interesting direction.

I'm really surprised you've never come across a piece of scripted entertainment you like! :O

Now you're sarcastically talking about something completely different; as I said to Steve, people who watch this crap think it is a sport and it would never occur to them that the "result" is a foregone conclusion.

I expect there are some who watch it do so for the "entertainment", but methinks the majority believe it is for real.