Things that piss you off Page 1,533

I used to think it was some smart arse "trendy" new age phonetic teaching "aid", but now having researched it a bit it appears that you are correct and specifically we have, it appears, Irish Catholic nuns to blame for it.

BUT WHY, has it crept so much into England? (It appears to be quite common in Scotland, but am not sure about Wales)

Whatever, I don't like it, and why that letter? You wouldn't say Mem for M or Lel for L or Fef for F............

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th August 2014, 5:29 PM BST

I used to think it was some smart arse "trendy" new age phonetic teaching "aid", but now having researched it a bit it appears that you are correct and specifically we have, it appears, Irish Catholic nuns to blame for it.

BUT WHY, has it crept so much into England? (It appears to be quite common in Scotland, but am not sure about Wales)

Whatever, I don't like it, and why that letter? You wouldn't say Mem for M or Lel for L or Fef for F............

There is very little that hasn't crept into Eng-er-land.

Are you pronouncing the H in "WHY"?

Only at the beginning ;)

I used to have a Scottish English teacher who always pronounced the R in Iron.

Was he agreeing with Ron?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 19th August 2014, 7:29 PM BST

There is very little that hasn't crept into Eng-er-land.

Are you pronouncing the H in "WHY"?

Yes. Waitchy, which I believe is an evil black imp that frequents the fenlands of East Anglia and waylays pilgrims which it stuns with its barbed tail and then eats their brains while the victim is still alive.

"Oooh arrr bor, you dusn't go out there tonoight fear the Waitchy will git yer!"

Quote: Marc P @ 19th August 2014, 9:02 PM BST

Was he agreeing with Ron?

Och.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th August 2014, 8:38 PM BST

I used to have a Scottish English teacher who always pronounced the R in Iron.

??? I'm confused. How else would you pronounce it? Surely not 'ion'?

Ion like a lion in zion.

Why???? How would you then differentiate between an iron and an actual ion? And why miss out the 'r'?

"I've got a nice tie on." Copyright Newman and Baddiel in Pieces, circa early 1990s.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th August 2014, 9:26 PM BST

Yes. Waitchy, which I believe is an evil black imp that frequents the fenlands of East Anglia and waylays pilgrims which it stuns with its barbed tail and then eats their brains while the victim is still alive.

"Oooh arrr bor, you dusn't go out there tonoight fear the Waitchy will git yer!"

Hwhy aye.

But no need to worry if you got a loit boy.

Quote: keewik @ 19th August 2014, 11:01 PM BST

Why???? How would you then differentiate between an iron and an actual ion? And why miss out the 'r'?

Maybe it's my accent but if I pronounced the r in iron I'd sound insane.

And it doesn't exactly cause complications. How often do you use an ion to do housework?

This will make you very cross. I also pronounce bold and bald exactly the same. And are and our. And Wednesday as Wensday. :)

Quote: zooo @ 20th August 2014, 12:07 AM BST

And it doesn't exactly cause complications. How often do you use an ion to do housework?

This will make you very cross. I also pronounce bold and bald exactly the same. And are and our. And Wednesday as Wensday. :)

Clare Bolding then? :) Or someone who is hairless is bold? (Kenneth Williams - "Oooh, look at him - so bold")

Not with you on the are/our, which is "r" and "hour" just to confuse the issue with a silent h, and so we've come full circle, coming back to that pesky aitch.
Laughing out loud

Am with you though on the last one as I don't pronounce the d.

What about when Cliff used to sing "You get D in love" ? Very confusing.

Quote: zooo @ 20th August 2014, 12:07 AM BST

Or Scottish!
:O