Status report Page 5,625

Ben's throat is killing him slightly less today. More just pain rather than the tiredness and dizziness that accompanied it yesterday.

Ah, bless. Someone on Facebook signed an e-petition and included the words: 'Easy, job done'.

That's so sweet, like they've done something and the mere action of clicking a couple of buttons means a law will instantly change. I've got to admire that kind of naïve optimism in this cynical world.

Ben's painkillers are kicking in. EXCELLENT!

~Maybe the "job" was the physical act of signing the petition?

Do your Facebook friends know that you sit in judgement over them all, or is it something you reserve for us only?

That being said, FB has gone downhill in recent years. When I first joined in 2004, I had to use my university email address because only students of three universities in the UK could join.

Now they let any kind of riff raff on there. Angry Angry Angry

Quote: Ben @ 1st May 2014, 8:25 PM BST

Ben's painkillers are kicking in. EXCELLENT!

Oooh, what are they? I have some amazing giant pink painkillers. God knows what they are, but they transport you to your happy place.

Which was the third uni? I'm assuming the others are the two obvious ones...

Quote: Jennie @ 1st May 2014, 8:27 PM BST

Do your Facebook friends know that you sit in judgement over them all, or is it something you reserve for us only?

Some do, some don't. Not everyone can take my 'mirror of truth' when it's shoved in front of their faces.

Quote: zooo @ 1st May 2014, 8:30 PM BST

Which was the third uni? I'm assuming the others are the two obvious ones...

Durham. Which is the uni I went to - for some reason we occasionally get lumped in with Oxbridge, although there wasn't any particular reason for it. I suppose it was just the dumping ground for posh kids. And me.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 1st May 2014, 8:31 PM BST

Some do, some don't. Not everyone can take my 'mirror of truth' when it's shoved in front of their faces.

:D

So some of them think you are this sweet, quiet, left-wing wallflower?

Ahh. I think my brother went there for a year.
Can't believe Facebook's only been around for 10 years or so. Seems like bloody forever!

I know! It is amazing when you think how far we have come in such a short space of time.

I was talking to a baby barrister the other day who has an old Nokia phone instead of a smart phone. I was utterly flabbergasted. Internet access is essential when you are on the move at court all day - to help you find your way to Romford Magistrates' Court, to get papers sent to you, to check emails from solicitors/clerks, to check BCG whilst you are waiting for your case to be called on...

Then I remembered that I when I started in practice in 2009 I didn't have a smart phone. And I survived. I had to use actual maps and things and entertain myself by chatting up the security guards, but I survived.

It is amazing how quickly we accept things as just being part of the norm.

Ah, actual maps. *reminisces*

And playing snake on my phone...

Those were simple days.

Quote: Jennie @ 1st May 2014, 8:48 PM BST

Those were simple days.

I still don't have a SatNav so have to read road maps. My two kids as a result are pretty shit hot at map reading as they're in charge when dad's driving. Although there is quite a difference between reading a road map and an O/S map.

If Our Will Cam calls me a Brummie agin I'll gie 'im such a pailin'.

Quote: Jennie @ 1st May 2014, 8:38 PM BST

:D

So some of them think you are this sweet, quiet, left-wing wallflower?

I wouldn't go that far. Angelic

Quote: roscoff @ 1st May 2014, 8:56 PM BST

I still don't have a SatNav so have to read road maps. My two kids as a result are pretty shit hot at map reading as they're in charge when dad's driving. Although there is quite a difference between reading a road map and an O/S map.

What if you're driving a long way alone? I quite like having a handsome (in my mind) man telling me which junction to take.