Status report Page 5,594

does anyone know where I can find dubbed or subtitled copies of the 30 investigations of Major Zemmat, the 1970s Czeklovakian, communist, detective thriller.

Quote: zooo @ 7th April 2014, 9:01 PM BST

Ya mad bugger. ;)
Does she just talk to you or does she read your palm or something?

:P :D
She just tells you about yourself and people you've lost and your family etc, and just gives you advice on stuff you are worried about and lots of different things really. Sometimes when you are worried about someone you want to know if they will be ok as well.

Quote: Jennie @ 7th April 2014, 9:06 PM BST

Make sure you do not provide her with any verbal/physical cues that you can identify with what she is saying.

Fake psychics (and, cards on the table, I think they are all fake) will use this kind of "cold reading" to make you think they have a hit.

So sit there stoney faced and say not a word. If she really is psychic, she won't need you to confirm that you have an aunty Gladys who passed away last year.

Honestly that's what I do Jennie. I don't say anything I just listen.

Quote: Jennie @ 7th April 2014, 10:27 PM BST

Genuine messages? Specific things? Not just "tell them I love them and will always watch over them"? If there is undeniable proof of that happening, why aren't more people doing it?

I think the ones that just say things like that are fakes and that's usually how you know. But you just don't go back to those ones.

But the good ones tell you things that they could just no way know in a million years.
My boyfriend was like everyone on here and said all the same things you are all saying, but I got him to come with me once. He didn't want to but I got him to come by teasing him about just being scared about what he might hear :P

And she said to him that his grandad was there, and his grandad was smiling and singing... and then she started singing I'm forever blowing bubbles.
I know that sounds funny but when we got home I asked him what he thought. He still doesn't believe in them but he said he must admit the blood ran out of his body when she did that, because his grandad used to support west ham and that's the song they all sing, and he told me when he was little his grandad always used to swing him on his knee and sing that at him with a big smile. It really freaked him out.

Have you ever been to one Jennie? Why don't you try it? You might be really shocked and struggle to explain how they could know some things.

Quote: Jennie @ 7th April 2014, 10:43 PM BST

No, definitely not!

To change the subject, I did the Myers-Briggs personality test today. I have done it before and was always a bit sceptical, but I am now fully converted. My personality type (summarised as argumentative)) is actually pretty accurate.

If anyone is bored, it is definitely worth giving a go.

It fascinates me to see how some pre-sciences or pseudo-sciences get rated diFferently.

Myerrs Briggs is basically an extension of Jungian archetype theory, which is as ridiculous as homeopathy or astrology and pyschic readings. Not only that but no tick box analysis can tell you anything, never mind the underlying structure of your personality. If it was that easy NHS psychiatrists wouldn't have 6 months waiting lists.

Seriously there's no solid research underneath it.

Psedo-psychological and pseudo-parapsychological have one thing in commmon. They both run from any kind of hard, empirical research.

I suppose I believe in nothing and even then I'm not sure about that.

Quote: Hannah G @ 8th April 2014, 6:26 PM BST

And she said to him that his grandad was there, and his grandad was smiling and singing... and then she started singing I'm forever blowing bubbles.
I know that sounds funny but when we got home I asked him what he thought. He still doesn't believe in them but he said he must admit the blood ran out of his body when she did that, because his grandad used to support west ham

If you and your boyfriend are dead posh and you went to a psychic in Kensington, then I would be more inclined to be amazed.

Again, no offence intended, but the psychic could have done the same 'your Granddad is singing I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles' on Jeremy Kyle and half the audience would identify with it.

I think successful psychics are very good at picking up clues on how people talk, dress, carry themselves to make an assessment - plus they can always look clients up on Facebook beforehand. As much as we all like to think we're smoking hot iconoclastic individuals, people are pretty similar. It's why I make so many sweeping generalisations on the BCG.

If I were Mystic Renegade and someone came in with neck tattoos or scars on their wrists, it'd be pretty easy to be 95% correct about their past...and most likely their future.

Hmm I see an argument in your future, possibly several.

And a mysterious stranger, smoking....in a pub, he's got a hand gun

You are strangely attracted to him.

That'll be 50 squids.

Quote: Hannah G @ 8th April 2014, 6:26 PM BST

Have you ever been to one Jennie? Why don't you try it? You might be really shocked and struggle to explain how they could know some things.

I have, as I try to keep half a mind open to the things I am sceptic about.

I went to one who told me my granddad wanted me to know that he loved me and he was always there for me.

Which was something of a post death personality change, because by all accounts in life he was a violent alcoholic bully who I never met (as my mother decided to keep her daughters well away from him).

Derren Brown has done a couple of interesting shows on it. Lots of people think he is psychic, when he very much isn't. However to all intents and purposes, it looks like he is.

Penn & Teller's Bullshit! Series is also interesting on this kind of thing.

If it works for you, great. But I am still very much yet to be convinced.

Well done Jenthat's my laugh out loud of the day, sorry for being amused by bad tempered, pissed, dead relative.

Quote: sootyj @ 8th April 2014, 8:17 PM BST

Hmm I see an argument in your future, possibly several.

And a mysterious stranger, smoking....in a pub, he's got a hand gun

You are strangely attracted to him.

That'll be 50 squids.

:D

Ha, if you were really psychic, you would have insisted on money upfront. ;)

Quote: sootyj @ 8th April 2014, 7:06 PM BST

It fascinates me to see how some pre-sciences or pseudo-sciences get rated diFferently.

They aren't really the same though are they? Myers-Briggs is psychology - undoubtedly pop psychology - but still just that. It does not claim to have divine elements or parts to it that are not explainable. It's a self-contained theory.

I was exaggerating before - I do not subscribe to it completely. I do think it has some interesting ideas in it about why we get along with some people and not others.

Anyway, you should be flattered Soots. According to my personality profile, people like me:

"are likely to choose to surround themselves with people who are intelligent, capable, and idea-oriented. They love nothing better than engaging in a good debate with someone who can hold their end of the conversation. This will stimulate and energize the ENTP, who is highly competitive and loves to discuss theories."

So there you are - the BCG is full of intelligent, capable and idea-oriented people.

Your dead great, great, grandfather Muhamed bin Renegade Carpark is disapointed in your parsimony.

What I find hard to stomach is these 'celebrity' psychics who do tours and fill massive halls...that is entertainment, pure and simple, it preys on the vulnerable and is deeply impersonal.
If someone thinks they have 'the gift' then by all means share it but a)don't charge and b) do it in private.

Quote: sootyj @ 8th April 2014, 7:06 PM BST

Myerrs Briggs is basically an extension of Jungian archetype theory, which is as ridiculous as homeopathy or astrology and pyschic readings.

I just want to know if it's more or less accurate then the Which Winona Ryder Character Are You quiz on Facebook?

Because that shit was dead on - I really am Veronica from Heathers.

Quote: sootyj @ 8th April 2014, 8:19 PM BST

Well done Jenthat's my laugh out loud of the day, sorry for being amused by bad tempered, pissed, dead relative.

That's probably the most good he did his whole life!
:)

Actually to say I never met him is not true. When I was six days old, my gran took me in my pram to meet him on the park. Something about him maybe wanting to see his first granddaughter.

He has never been seen or heard from since. Clearly it was something I said.

Quote: Jennie @ 8th April 2014, 8:22 PM BST

So there you are - the BCG is full of intelligent, capable and idea-oriented people.

Errr

Quote: Jennie @ 8th April 2014, 8:22 PM BST

They aren't really the same though are they? Myers-Briggs is psychology - undoubtedly pop psychology - but still just that. It does not claim to have divine elements or parts to it that are not explainable. It's a self-contained theory.

I was exaggerating before - I do not subscribe to it completely. I do think it has some interesting ideas in it about why we get along with some people and not others.

Jung was a sex mad, nutter, who never did a days research and made the whole lot up as he went along.
I did leadership in applying Myers Brigg and it's the same level of nonsense as homeopathy.

It's the same principle as homeopathy, talk to someone who listens sympathetically for an hour. Tells you, it's not your help and makes you feel better.

Quote: Jennie @ 8th April 2014, 8:24 PM BST

That's probably the most good he did his whole life!
:)

Actually to say I never met him is not true. When I was six days old, my gran took me in my pram to meet him on the park. Something about him maybe wanting to see his first granddaughter.

He has never been seen or heard from since. Clearly it was something I said.

hmmmmmm

http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/04/pakistani-nine-month-old-baby-accused-of-murder-on-the-lam/360312/