The general pop/rock - music thread Page 59

Quote: beaky @ 22nd March 2014, 8:28 PM GMT

On a whim, I just bought The White Stripes Live at Glastonbury 2005, which I'm listening to now, and am regretting it. The sound's not very good, and Meg White's (mercifully rare) singing's dire. Having said that, Jack White's blues guitar on Son House's Death Letter is brilliant.

He reminds me of Johnny Winter.

With a bit more colour.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 22nd March 2014, 3:02 PM GMT

The day was so grey and dull I had to lighten up my mood with a CD purchase:

Have to get that if its re-released.

just got first 5 Blood Sweat and Tears albums in a box set for £17

So I'm listening to first 2 Blood Sweat and Tears albums. As a big fan of David Clayton Thomas Half forgot he wasn't on the first one. Still great jazz album. Al Kooper was a genius. Unfortunately the text on these CD covers is so tiny - even succumbing to wearing reading glasses.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th March 2014, 9:11 PM GMT

David Clayton Thomas

What a voice!
Coincidentally, I was listening to the First Chicago album today. Also a jazz-rock/pop gem.

I see the Chicago Transit Authority are having problems.

Bought this yesterday, relatively cheap. Fripp's pre-King Crimson days.

I bought these dirt cheap today:

ImageImage

ImageImage

It's the 20th anniversary edition of Generation Terrorists.

Generation Terrorists is incredible

My second favourite album of all time

I prefer Everything Must Go.

I think EMG hit a sweet spot as the Manics went from an 'angry' underground band to a 'boring' coffee table band.

It still contained Richey Edward's lyrics, but with a more mainstream (but not yet boring) sound.

Design For Life is perhaps my favourite song of all time, and certainly top-10.

Unfortunately, even though it had a few nice tracks, This is My Truth... was a safe, coffee table album with Nicky Wire lyrics.

Blood, Sweat and Tears?
Pre-Crimson? Blood-flecked pre-cum?

Great to be reminded of these.

The YouTube comments on Giles, Giles and Fripp quickly degenerate into foam-flecked philistine ravings. Although I liked 'Fripp looks Amish.'

There's a new electric Miles Fillmore bootleg this week, 4 discs, thirty page booklet, £17. Some of it is already on the net

opening for the Grateful Dead
It's About That Time April 1970 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8PJP-iPBR8

Quote: SimonWing @ 29th March 2014, 8:43 PM GMT

Everything Must Go.

Not a dull moment on it. Haven't listened to it for a long time...but I remember loving Kevin Carter, The Girl Who Wanted To Be God....and yes, that Blackpool Pier one.

Quote: lofthouse @ 29th March 2014, 8:21 PM GMT

The production is a bit strange, 80s-ish...but the songwriting is astonishing. The debut album of such young lads, but ideas enough for three CDs. A bit like Talking Heads' first.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 29th March 2014, 9:01 PM GMT

Not a dull moment on it. Haven't listened to it for a long time...but I remember loving Kevin Carter, The Girl Who Wanted To Be God....and yes, that Blackpool Pier one.

Yea, it's one of several albums from that period that I can listen from beginning-to-end without considering skipping a single track.

Attack of the Grey Lantern is another one.

Quote: The Thirteenth Caesar @ 29th March 2014, 8:47 PM GMT

opening for the Grateful Dead
It's About That Time April 1970 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8PJP-iPBR8

What a concert...first Davis, then the Dead in 1970: like a four hours long LSD trip!!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 29th March 2014, 9:05 PM GMT

The production is a bit strange, 80s-ish...but the songwriting is astonishing. The debut album of such young lads, but ideas enough for three CDs. A bit like Talking Heads' first.

For really young bands, the best albums I've heard (from my era at least, as a 31-year-old) are Showbiz by Muse and 1977 by Ash. Both were written at around 17-years-old.

Symposium were another 90's band who were very good, very young.

Quote: lofthouse @ 29th March 2014, 8:21 PM GMT

My second favourite album of all time

I'll bite. :)

What's number one, then?

Quote: SimonWing @ 29th March 2014, 9:08 PM GMT

For really young bands, the best albums I've heard (from my era at least, as a 31-year-old) are Showbiz by Muse and 1977 by Ash. Both were written at around 17-years-old.

Symposium were another 90's band who were very good, very young.

I'm not a big Muse fan (although I have some of their albums) so I can't contribute here, but I surely agree with you on Ash, I prefer their earlist stuff to their later material.

But back to MSP...how do you like Journal For Plague Lovers? Lyrics by Edwards and a much harder sound than on the preceding (and succeding) albums, much like Holy Bible, but a bit more melodic. For me Journal was the best album since Everything Must Go.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 29th March 2014, 9:26 PM GMT

I'll bite. :)

What's number one, then?

Let me think...Lofthouse...I think it must be My World by Justin Bieber. that's his Cup of tea. ;)