Newsjack - Series 10 Page 11

Quote: groovydude89 @ 3rd March 2014, 3:25 PM GMT

This is probably a silly question, but are you supposed to include underscores in file names?

The reason I ask, is because the sketch template is called 'full_name_title_of_sketch.rtf'.

Now, does that mean you should name a file like this - 'John_Doe_UKIP_Sketch.rtf'?

Or does the old method still apply - 'John Doe - UKIP Sketch.rtf'?

The template includes them, so I included them, but it'd greatly surprise me if they insist on them. Probably fine as long as the sketch title follows your name so they're easy to order and understand the filenames.

Quote: swerytd @ 3rd March 2014, 12:53 PM GMT

I honestly can't see how line-numbering will help them at all. Even the best sketches still have rewrites which will affect the line numbering. I can only see it making more work, if I'm honest.

Dan

I thought that at first, but the numbers remain in sequence when you cut a line.
Which means they're going to swift, sure and savage with the cuts - no leaving them up in case someone thinks your version works better.

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 3rd March 2014, 3:45 PM GMT

The template includes them, so I included them, but it'd greatly surprise me if they insist on them. Probably fine as long as the sketch title follows your name so they're easy to order and understand the filenames.

I used the old method for my sketches (out of habit), but I think I'll play safe and use underscores from now on.

Please advise! I could not 'copy and paste' this frustrating formatted page for one-liners so I sent as an attachment. Does anyone think I'd need to do the lot again in the body of an e-mail..but then it wouldn't be formatted. Bring back rushing to the last sorting office collection.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 3rd March 2014, 2:01 PM GMT

I submitted two sketches today, and thanks to using a mac I spent over an hour of precious time this morning fiddling with the rtf template in textedit before realising I could open it in MS Word! FFS

Anyway, with the one liners are they supposed to be as short as they are in the examples?

Hey, you're right! I hadn't thought to try it that way. Thanks.

Re the one liners, my guess is that they don't necessarily need to be that short. For example, a TV/radio programme might need a longer setup, I s'pose (she says hypothetically, having yet to make a start).

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 3rd March 2014, 12:37 PM GMT

A minor story about local parking? Or is that politics?

It was about sinkholes. I don't know which category it falls into (no pun intended).

Everything is about politics...

Speaking in the utopia of pre-rejection I really like these new format of one-liners. Feels good to be trying something different after years of Vox-pops! I do of course reserve the right to change my mind come Thursday.

Oh and I will be going to the recording on Wednesday. Viv (and anyone else who's going) shall we arrange a meeting point to ensure we actually do catch up this time?

Just sent off my one-liners. 2 x breaking news, 3 x coming up and 3 x TV listings.

Good luck everyone!

Quote: Blinkered @ 3rd March 2014, 5:59 PM GMT

Please advise! I could not 'copy and paste' this frustrating formatted page for one-liners so I sent as an attachment. Does anyone think I'd need to do the lot again in the body of an e-mail..but then it wouldn't be formatted. Bring back rushing to the last sorting office collection.

Uh... yeah, you should always be attaching a document for oneliners - Ed Morish has a blog post here(http://edmorrish.tumblr.com/post/47537438357/everything-i-know-about-newsjack) about the 'inner workings' of newsjack (Pretty old regime at this point but absent other info we might as well assumethat's still pretty much their process).

Regarding filenames I think provided you have your name in there they won't care about underscores. Certinally not going to blackball you for forgetting them anyway. (I also did my RTF in word but it seems to have screwed up formatting for opening it in anything else. Sent in .doc as well as .rtf and left it up to them!)

Quote: StephenM @ 3rd March 2014, 10:28 PM GMT

Speaking in the utopia of pre-rejection I really like these new format of one-liners. Feels good to be trying something different after years of Vox-pops! I do of course reserve the right to change my mind come Thursday.

So far I do not. Very restrictive formats IMO, and having had grand success last series with 'opening monologue gags' I'm mourning their demise especially. :|

Quote: StephenM @ 3rd March 2014, 10:28 PM GMT

Oh and I will be going to the recording on Wednesday. Viv (and anyone else who's going) shall we arrange a meeting point to ensure we actually do catch up this time?

I'll probably be there before 6 (I work nearby) and normally make for the furthest corner. You will know me by my profile pic (the new one - not the old one that made me look like the spawn of Marty Feldman and a chimp).

I mean I'll be wearing a blue butterfly brooch. Argh, how soppy. But simple.

Sent off the oneliners. Got three of each.

I sent nine one liners off last night (and included underscores in the filename).

All done. Now we play the waiting game.

so an hour to go for one-liners, and late to the party as usual.

I suppose the new format makes it more focused, I was going to hold back and not submit this week, but am itching to send something!

but the new format means we can't write any opening monologue??