Newsjack - Series 10 Page 7

I've not heard much from 'Newsjack' in the past but what I had heard was good and from people writing in here it's sounded an interesting show. So it seemed a bit strange to me to tweak it a little as if they want to promote the host and his own material. I wonder whether he could have been given another show if this was the case.

Reading the submission guidelines I'm a bit confused, do they want "made up" news stories (especially for the one liners) rather than things based on actual news stories?

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 26th February 2014, 2:58 PM GMT

Reading the submission guidelines I'm a bit confused, do they want "made up" news stories (especially for the one liners) rather than things based on actual news stories?

My thoughts too. I'm guessing (and it is only a guess) that the sketches are based on actual news events, while the one liners don't have to be?

Hmmm - I'm currently writing an email to the producers querying the RTF templates - there may be quite an important issue with using RTFs regarding what software the user uses.

I tend to write on a MacBook, and use both OpenOffice and LibreOffice. On my mac the default program to open RTF files is TextEdit.

Each one of these 3 programs displays the template very differently...

TextEdit (the default program) seems closest to what I expect is the intended layout, but does not show headers (and so, I don't think it allows you to alter the header). Quite a big issue, I'd say.

Open Office seems to have the line spacing correct, and allows the header to be edited, but seems to have it's own ideas about the tab spacing. The actual cues start about 3.48cm in, and with the numbering and the CHARACTER NAME allows only just enough space per line for the example 'Dialogue, dialogue, dialogue etc (hit return)'.

LibreOffice seems to have correct tabs, but no additional line spacing between lines. So the entire example text takes up about 1/3 of a page, whereas it's most of a page in both Open Office and TextEdit.

I've not tested on various pieces of software under Windows, but I expect that the Mac software I've used will not be alone in this error - and even if it is, there ought to be no stipulation for writers to need a Windows PC.

Note that this may also explain why, in the BCG forums, one person (Matt) said that it looked like they could fit a lot more on a page, and so mentioned considering reformatting their Show What You Wrote sketches to the NewsJack template. It's probably because their view of the template was FUBAR'd.

Dave -- I think you're stressing too much.

Can't you just copy the format into Open Office? (genuinely don't know in my role as CEO of the Anti-Apple Brigade). I'd be surprised if Open Office didn't allow you to save as .rtf.

And, on that note, can't you change the default progam to open .rtfs to be Open Office?

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ 28th February 2014, 12:02 PM GMT

Well yes - I do - that's what my meds are for: stress/anxiety.

Can't you just copy the format into Open Office? (genuinely don't know in my role as CEO of the Anti-Apple Brigade). I'd be surprised if Open Office didn't allow you to save as .rtf.

And, on that note, can't you change the default progam to open .rtfs to be Open Office?

Dan

The point is that if people haven't noticed that the format appears to change then they'll just start typing in whatever they 1st open it in.

This could mean that some people are writing 4 pages of material in what they think is a page and a bit. Others may not even see the header, so potentially may think it's not needed.

Given that the new templates are supposedly to make the entries uniform, and I'd guess easier to edit together a recording script, it may have the opposite effect.

I know that I can deal with it as I'm aware of the issue.

BTW - As far as I can tell, I've never seen as much variation for Word docs - so changing the file format of the downloadable template may be a quick and easy fix - but if no-one tells NJ...

Anyone know if they're going to get all upset if we don't use the templates? I have a nice word template I've been using for years with no complaints...

Also what's peoples understanding of sketches re:new format? They're clearly wanting to put them into sections within the show, but I can't tell if they only want more generic sketch show stuff or will continue with any of the newsjack style bits 'Diary of X', Ed milliband bits etc.

Anyone else going to miss the jack app?

Quote: swerytd @ 28th February 2014, 12:02 PM GMT

BTW I've just realised that the switch to using a set template may even be coupled to some form of backend automation - in which case a wrongly formatted/incomplete file could effectively lead to errors/exceptions. Very possible considering the Beebs move towards online systems for ideas/submissions.

Either way - there's got to be some reason for changing to this template.

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 28th February 2014, 12:29 PM GMT

BTW I've just realised that the switch to using a set template may even be coupled to some form of backend automation

I think you've vastly overestimating the capabilities of the BBC...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ 28th February 2014, 12:37 PM GMT

I think you've vastly overestimating the capabilities of the BBC...

Dan

I know some of the development team involved with some of the new BBC backends... Auntie Beeb may move slower than some organisations, but it's getting there.

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 28th February 2014, 12:29 PM GMT

BTW I've just realised that the switch to using a set template may even be coupled to some form of backend automation - in which case a wrongly formatted/incomplete file could effectively lead to errors/exceptions. Very possible considering the Beebs move towards online systems for ideas/submissions.

Either way - there's got to be some reason for changing to this template.

I doubt it's about automation. I think it's purely a readability thing to help the readers assess a large quantity of scripts quickly - if the format is uniform then all they need to consider is the content.

what is RTF? is it the same as DOC? Can I change my word docs to rtf docs in WORD? Errr

If you want to get something on I don't think it's wise to call anyone associated with Newsjack a BBC Backend.

Quote: Bonzo @ 28th February 2014, 12:46 PM GMT

what is RTF? is it the same as DOC? Can I change my word docs to rtf docs in WORD? Errr

Yes, just File->Save As and select Rich Text Format. Might want to check the saved file though as some formatting may have jigged about.

Ahh. Thanks very much Frantically.