House Of Fools - Series 1 Page 13

Quote: Will Cam @ 14th January 2014, 11:07 PM GMT

Bob and Vic's acting lets them down a bit I think.

I agree with the ones here who compared this show or Vic & Bob in general with the Mayall/Edmondson universe. That's not a bad thing per se. But I think Bob Mortimer's "performance" doesn't fit in this kind of style. He appears to be a normal guy without great talent for acting (serious or silly) or manic energy. And manic energy is needed when you create this kind of wacky, LSD drenched universe imo. He just too normal, too controlled where Mayall & Edmondson seemed to be two wonderfully crazed potential axe murderers.
Vic Reeves on the other hand is fine. He has a natural "oddness" to him (and yes, he reminds me of Eric Morecambe) without having to act over the top all the time. But Bob is just too normal, too nice.

Still, I liked yesterday's episode. Beef is also a great character. Can't wait 'til next tuesday.

Quote: Enator @ 17th January 2014, 4:01 PM GMT

Morgana Robinson with her...massive bangers

Haven't noticed that, must look more closely next time. ;)

Episode four was even more off the wall than usual, in a good way. The amount of corpsing and bad acting in this show is quite endearing I find. Matt Berry's Beef is a tour de force.

Why does Vic always fend off the next door neighbour's advances? She's perfectly doable, a bit raggedy around the edges but beggars can't be choosers.

I quite liked this episode, particularly the flashbacks.

The rat mole thing was the star of the show,

Loved this episode. I want a rat mole thing.

Morgana is of course gorgeous. But it's a lot funnier if they don't fancy her but she's constantly after them.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ 5th February 2014, 12:20 PM GMT

doable

Such a horrible term.

Quote: zooo @ 5th February 2014, 12:48 PM GMT

Such a horrible term.

Still a compliment...somehow.

It's pronounced dough-able. It just means she has nice buns.

It's meant as a compliment, I'm sure! But is kind of dehumanising.
Not to bring the thread down...

Quote: Lee @ 5th February 2014, 1:00 PM GMT

It's pronounced dough-able. It just means she has nice buns.

:D

I love everyone's dancing at the end of each episode. Especially like that the son stays in character.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 5th February 2014, 10:36 AM GMT

...I think Bob Mortimer's "performance" doesn't fit in this kind of style. He appears to be a normal guy without great talent for acting (serious or silly) or manic energy. And manic energy is needed when you create this kind of wacky, LSD drenched universe imo. He just too normal, too controlled...

I see what you're saying but I think what makes Bob funny (and this goes right back to the early days) is the smaller stuff. His looks of desperation, the way he expresses himself, the protesting when people are asking daft things of him.

You could also argue that a 'zany' sitcom like this one needs a calm central figure - isn't that sort of traditional?

Anyway I always thought he was everybody's favourite! I've always found him much more naturally funny than Vic - and that's been the view of pretty much everyone else I've talked to, too.

I think Bob is an excellent straight man which is a surprisingly hard thing to be.

I always found Vic slightly (very much only slightly) funnier. But Bob slightly more likeable.

Bob is definitely the funniest straight man that has ever existed.

Quote: the science eel @ 5th February 2014, 1:59 PM GMT

You could also argue that a 'zany' sitcom like this one needs a calm central figure - isn't that sort of traditional?

Yes, but in yesterday's episode (the only one I've seen so far!) he was the driving force behind the "let's catch the rat and bring back my wig"-movement. These scenes would have benefitted from the manic performance of a young Rik Mayall ("I'm not a virgin...I'm not a virgin...I'm not a viiiiirgin!!!", Young Ones) so I think. He didn't convince me in these particular scenes. I agree otherwise, a straight man is a necessary element and Bob is the right man for the job.

But as I said: I really did enjoy it on the whole. Some of the flashbacks were a bit too toilet-y though.

The strength juice bits were hilarious. When Beef drank some and yelled "Afriiiiiicaaa!" I was howling.

Quote: zooo @ 5th February 2014, 12:48 PM GMT

Loved this episode.

Would be very interested to hear why. Frankly I thought it was embarrassing.
:(

Because it made me laugh. *shrug*