Still Open All Hours - 2013 Special Page 10

Quote: Ben @ 28th December 2013, 11:39 PM GMT

I don't see how Open All Hours has been rehashed to be politically correct...

I loved the great comeback of this show but in the original we didn't have many blacks back then. Maybe a few but not 3 or 4 of them in it like today's Open All Hours comeback. But it was still funny.

Quote: george roper @ 29th December 2013, 9:31 PM GMT

in the original we didn't have many blacks back then. Maybe a few but not 3 or 4 of them in it like today's Open All Hours comeback.

Oh right...

Quote: Ben @ 29th December 2013, 9:50 PM GMT

Oh right...

That's a well placed '...'

Being that I went in without any preconceived notions (and I haven't watched the original series yet) I liked it! As stated previously it was a nice gentle comedy with chuckles sprinkled throughout. I want my comedy viewing to amuse me and this program did, end of story.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 29th December 2013, 10:00 PM GMT

That's a well placed '...'

Not really. An ellipsis placed at the end of a sentence suggesting bemusement or irony should generally be given a space before it commences. Thus:
Oh, right ...

On topic, I look forward to seeing the resurrection. Been decades since I saw the original. My expectations would be minimal. May be fun if Granville becomes senile and gets victimized by hooligans and shoplifters. Could make for uncomfortable viewing.

There's a good comment on radiotimes.com suggesting the dynamic would be a lot more fun if Granville were now the deputy manager of a Lidl or Aldi, managing a bunch of halfwits and under pressure from an unpleasant boss. Guess he's too old to be anything but a customer in any supermarket chains though.

Quote: Kenneth @ 30th December 2013, 3:44 PM GMT

Not really. An ellipsis placed at the end of a sentence suggesting bemusement or irony should generally be given a space before it commences. Thus:
Oh, right ...

Thank the Lord you were here to put us right ...

Quote: Kenneth @ 30th December 2013, 3:44 PM GMT

There's a good comment on radiotimes.com suggesting the dynamic would be a lot more fun if Granville were now the deputy manager of a Lidl or Aldi, managing a bunch of halfwits and under pressure from an unpleasant boss. Guess he's too old to be anything but a customer in any supermarket chains though.

It would also be a completely different sitcom.

A new series could indeed work well, if only the writers don't rely on giving Granville personality traits so similar to Arkwright. Granville should be the same one, otherwise he becomes a different character, hence a different show is born and Open All Hours dies.

I think that seeing as Granville had trained under Arkwright it's not surprising that he picked up a few of his traits. Also, in this modern world where the supermarket is king, it's not a surprise that Granville is devious with promotions and pricing. If he'd developed a stutter then that would be a step too far, but I thought Granville's evolved personality was not an issue.

Ben:
Sure, Granville's trade habits could and should be those that made Arkwright Grocers a corner store institution, but his personality should not change. Instead, writers should work Arkwright's trade practices around Granville (and the other way around) as Albert's heritage upon him, but not change the character.

Quote: Ben @ 30th December 2013, 7:46 PM GMT

I think that seeing as Granville had trained under Arkwright it's not surprising that he picked up a few of his traits. Also, in this modern world where the supermarket is king, it's not a surprise that Granville is devious with promotions and pricing. If he'd developed a stutter then that would be a step too far, but I thought Granville's evolved personality was not an issue.

Ben has a future as professor of sitcom psychology. Unlike real-world psychology it is less about escaping your past family traits and more about completely adopting the look, speech patterns and, indeed, the actual clothes of one's forefathers.

;)

Quote: T.W. @ 30th December 2013, 8:47 PM GMT

Ben has a future as professor of sitcom psychology. Unlike real-world psychology it is less about escaping your past family traits and more about completely adopting the look, speech patterns and, indeed, the actual clothes of one's forefathers.

;)

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that, by and large, people become a version of those who brought them up, albeit usually with modifications of one sort or another on the original role model.

Phoenix Lazarus:

Yes, that may well be the case in children, but not when 40 as Granville.

Quote: Phoenix Lazarus @ 30th December 2013, 8:54 PM GMT

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that, by and large, people become a version of those who brought them up, albeit usually with modifications of one sort or another on the original role model.

It might well be more accurate, but on the other hand I wouldn't be able to take the mickey out of Ben...

And that's really my raison d'ĂȘtre.

Granville (Not David Jason) was in his mid twenties.