What ever happened to critique? Page 19

Quote: sglen @ 1st December 2013, 10:40 PM GMT

Quite so. If you can't critique, don't critique! There is as much point in telling someone you didn't like something on critique while offering no further information on why (even if you don't know how to improve it) than there is just saying 'yeah this is a good idea' on a sketch that clearly needs loads of improvement.

The point is to tear it apart in a polite and helpful way so the script can be the best it can be.

But there are plenty of times when a skit is posted that appeals just because it appeals, I don't agree we have to tear it apart each time, yes by all means say where it could be improved or spin another take on it, but at the same time I don't think just saying 'I like that' is useless, it may not be 'critique' but may still be of use to the poster on some level.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 1st December 2013, 10:58 PM GMT

But there are plenty of times when a skit is posted that appeals just because it appeals, I don't agree we have to tear it apart each time, yes by all means say where it could be improved or spin another take on it, but at the same time I don't think just saying 'I like that' is useless, it may not be 'critique' but may still be of use to the poster on some level.

I may have come off as harsher than I intended when it comes to critiquing work. I think you should always say which bits you liked and where the best parts are so the writer has something to focus on, and also if you don't remind them you like parts of it (or pretty much all of it) then you might break their heart with all the negative points!

Saying "I like that" isn't as bad as just saying "I don't like that" because I think it is nice to know when people like your work. But where possible I think it's just more useful for the writer if you say which parts were the least great of their work, or if there was anything that could make it even better. If it's perfect, then it's perfect, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a perfect script. :)

Having said that, it doesn't annoy me if people just say "I like that" if I post something. I will be flattered, of course.

thanks Jennie you're my favourite

Quote: sglen @ 1st December 2013, 11:05 PM GMT

I may have come off as harsher than I intended when it comes to critiquing work. I think you should always say which bits you liked and where the best parts are so the writer has something to focus on, and also if you don't remind them you like parts of it (or pretty much all of it) then you might break their heart with all the negative points!

Saying "I like that" isn't as bad as just saying "I don't like that" because I think it is nice to know when people like your work. But where possible I think it's just more useful for the writer if you say which parts were the least great of their work, or if there was anything that could make it even better. If it's perfect, then it's perfect, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a perfect script. :)

Having said that, it doesn't annoy me if people just say "I like that" if I post something. I will be flattered, of course.

I like that.

Quote: Badge @ 1st December 2013, 11:12 PM GMT

I like that.

I'm flattered.

Quote: Marc P @ 27th July 2012, 7:57 AM BST

Maybe break critique into several forums one for sitcom one for sketches etc etc.

This.

And a karaoke bar.

Quote: Marc P @ 27th July 2012, 7:57 AM BST

Maybe break critique into several forums one for sitcom one for sketches etc etc.

Perhaps we could also have one for people who do not have a clue, are not bothered to make any effort and take offence when offered advice. It would do a roaring trade.

shall I open a pub for lions

Quote: Tursiops @ 7th December 2013, 12:24 AM GMT

It would do a roaring trade.

I hate most lions

Sometimes sootyj you have to draw a lion!

If I draw lions theyre usually female

So its rare for me to draw a lion in the mane.

lions have been crossed!

Youre lion have you no pride

London Pride! :)

I don't think there's really anything wrong with "I like that". It proves that the piece of work has appealed to at least one person. It would be nice to hear which aspects in particular they liked, but you aren't always going to get that from an audience. "I don't like that" is equally valid, but again you do really want some type of reasoning behind the decision. It's very rare that a piece of work in critique gets nothing but "I like/I don't like" as there's plenty of useful advice from others.

I also don't think critique is too harsh on anyone. The only time that things have got nasty in there is when people are looking for revenge due to battered egos.

Quote: Ben @ 7th December 2013, 9:57 AM GMT

I don't think there's really anything wrong with "I like that". It proves that the piece of work has appealed to at least one person. It would be nice to hear which aspects in particular they liked, but you aren't always going to get that from an audience. "I don't like that" is equally valid, but again you do really want some type of reasoning behind the decision. It's very rare that a piece of work in critique gets nothing but "I like/I don't like" as there's plenty of useful advice from others.

Agreed. A lot of the time in comedy something works or it just doesn't. To explain why something is or isn't funny is incredibly difficult. Sometimes a simple "yes" or "no" would surfice.

Quote: Ben @ 7th December 2013, 9:57 AM GMT

I also don't think critique is too harsh on anyone. The only time that things have got nasty in there is when people are looking for revenge due to battered egos.

Speaking of which, my favourite thread on critique ever: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/22367/ (I might be the only person who finds it fascinating).

I'm confused about the occasional Teddy-love on critique. He really wasn't talented (I know he's gone now).