What ever happened to critique? Page 18

:D :D :D 'mond'

One of the most frustrating aspects of the critique thread, is that you may put a sketch or an idea up, and ten minutes later one or two people post a multitude of ideas, and yours sinks to the bottom of the page never to be seen.

Either that or my thread titles are just not exciting enough to woo the casual reader. (Don't worry I know my sketches aren't great...)

It's also a pain when the critique you wait for ends up as "not for me I'm afraid" with no further input as to how it could be imrpoved.

The most recent examples in the critique thread have just been embarrassing to read, and show a very ugly side to it all.

Examples of what?

Sorry I'd best reword that.

The examples of work that have been out on there are NOT embarrassing.

The squabbling on two of the most recent threads have been unpleasant reading.

No one minds the odd cheeky bump

I certainlyits good manners to put multiple skiuts on the same thread

Quote: Pete Turton @ 1st December 2013, 10:20 PM GMT

Sorry I'd best reword that.

I agree it was ugly reading, I didn't like it at all.

Quote: Pete Turton @ 1st December 2013, 10:20 PM GMT

Did these threads have a common author?
Did any of them not belong in the Critique thread at all?

Well yes I will concede that recent events were not typical!

Quote: Pete Turton @ 1st December 2013, 10:14 PM GMT

It's also a pain when the critique you wait for ends up as "not for me I'm afraid" with no further input as to how it could be imrpoved.

Quite so. If you can't critique, don't critique! There is as much point in telling someone you didn't like something on critique while offering no further information on why (even if you don't know how to improve it) than there is just saying 'yeah this is a good idea' on a sketch that clearly needs loads of improvement.

The point is to tear it apart in a polite and helpful way so the script can be the best it can be.

With regards to volume of work and bumping down the list, I'm not sure where the happy medium is. I remember a poster who posted literally hundreds of one liners, but spread across only 2-3 threads so other peoples work wasn't pushed down to far.

However....if you look at the newsjack rejected one liners thread, people put their one liners there, and get virtually no feedback, due to the sheer volume of jokes that get added by different people.

So where's the happy medium?

Quote: Pete Turton @ 1st December 2013, 10:36 PM GMT

Well yes I will concede that recent events were not typical!

Not only were they untypical, they weren't critique!

The critique board is what first drew me to BCG. I have the thread on my sitcom printed out and regularly go back to remind myself of things people said - the good, the bad and the ugly. I appreciated every single comment.

As Sooty says, no harm in a bump if you feel that you haven't squeezed the forum juices dry. In fact - I may go and bump Legal Privilege, just for the hell of it!

Go Jennie go!

Quote: Pete Turton @ 1st December 2013, 10:46 PM GMT

Go Jennie go!

:D

I think the forum juices are well and truly drained when it comes to Legal Privilege. That draft, anyway.

With regards to critique how many pages is it okay to post?

I went for 3 - 5 at a time.