- Alec Guinness, Cecil Parker, Herbert Lom, Peter Sellers, Danny Green, Jack Warner, Katie Johnson, Philip Stainton and more
- William Rose
- Alexander Mackendrick and Tom Pevsner
- Michael Balcon and Seth Holt
Mrs. Wilberforce is an eccentric old lady who lives in a house suffering from subsidence near King's Cross Station. She is offering rooms to let, an offer which is taken up by the sinister Professor Marcus.
Marcus claims that he wants to use the rooms so that he can practice with his string quintet, consisting of Major Courtney, Harry Robinson, 'One-Round' Lawson and Louis Harvey. In fact, they are armed robbers who manipulate the unwittingly naïve and intrinsically honest Mrs. Wilberforce into helping them steal £60,000 from a bank delivery van.
Having pulled off the scheme with aplomb, the gang are about to make their exit when one tiny blunder leads Mrs. Wilberforce to discover what is going on. Failing to convince her not to go to the police, they resolve that the only way to get around the problem is to kill her - but does anyone have the guts?
- UK certificate
- 97 minutes
- UK cinematic release
- Thursday 8th December 1955
- Camera set-up
- Single camera
- Music composed by Tristram Cary, performed by the Sinfonia of London, conducted by Dock Mathieson.
- Next repeats
- Saturday 11th December at 11am on Film4
- Thursday 16th December at 2:30pm on Film4
- Most recent repeats
- Thursday 10th June 2021 at 4:50pm on Film4
- Saturday 5th June 2021 at 11:00am on Film4
- Sunday 24th January 2021 at 12:55pm on Film4