- Chris Rock, Billy Connolly, Jerry Seinfeld, Paul Provenza, Sarah Silverman, Kevin Hart, Rick Overton, Jamie Foxx and more
- Paul Toogood and Lloyd Stanton
- Paul Toogood, Lloyd Stanton, Suli McCullough, Kevin Haviland, Adam Longworth, John Thomson, Iain Henderson, Lynn Hughes and more
Dying Laughing is a candid look at the complicated and fascinating lives of some of the world's greatest stand-up comedians. "A beautiful, moving, funny and unique feature length documentary on the agony and the ecstasy of making people laugh."
A stand-up comedian must be the writer, the director and the star performer - and in stand-up there is no rehearsal, no practice, no safety net as it only works in front of a live audience, with feedback being instantaneous and often brutal. For many baring their soul on stage and having an audience boo would be a life-changing trauma, for stand-ups it's a regular challenge.
Original interviews are interlaced with stunning footage of the road, the comedy clubs and the world from a stand-up's point of view to reveal the lives of these remarkable artists.
British filmmakers Paul Toogood and Lloyd Stanton have created Dying Laughing. The 89 minute film features interviews with many US stand-ups, but British comedians including Billy Connolly, Steve Coogan, Eddie Izzard, Jason Manford, Frank Skinner, Jo Brand, Lee Mack, Omid Djalili, Stewart Lee, Frankie Boyle, Sean Lock and Stephen K Amos are amongst those interviewed.
- UK certificate
- 89 minutes
- UK release
- Friday 16th June 2017
- UK premiere
- Thursday 15th June 2017, Prince Charles Cinema, London
- Camera set-up
- Single camera
- Most recent repeats
- Thursday 9th May 2019 at 1:00am on Sky Arts
- Wednesday 12th September 2018 at 10:00pm on Sky Arts
- Friday 20th April 2018 at 2:15am on Sky Arts