The Olympics Page 93

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 11 2012, 12:20 AM BST

2. Basketball - with rubbish into the bin

I am actually excellent at this and regualarly bin satsuma peels from ten feet away. Cool

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2186926/Des-Lynam-London-2012-Olympics-female-commentators-grating.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Blimey, Des!

Another aged old twunt to add to the collection.

This Serbian Taekwondo (sp?) is doing my bloody tits in with her daft screechy noises.

Mountain biking uphill looks horrible. But the downhill bits look jolly fun.

Modern pentathalon seems a remarkably random selection of sports. Shooting. Show jumping. Swimming... There's no logic to it. Although it's probably harder work than the other sports.

Are there two other things or are they playing fast and loose with the word pentathlon?

No I don't think scrabble has made it into the Olympics just yet, even on horseback.

What's Jerry Seinfeld doing in the 5,000 metres final

Quote: chipolata @ August 11 2012, 7:03 PM BST

Modern pentathalon seems a remarkably random selection of sports. Shooting. Show jumping. Swimming... There's no logic to it. Although it's probably harder work than the other sports.

It was an event designed for army officers, especially ones wanting to avoid real conflict. Or to be kinder it was an old class confirming gentleman's route to glory.

Did you see Kelvin MacKenzie cheering in the stadium during that race?

Or did I imagine it?

Quote: zooo @ August 11 2012, 7:14 PM BST

Are there two other things or are they playing fast and loose with the word pentathlon?

I forgot what the other two events were and cleverly hid the fact with three dots.

Quote: Joyce @ August 11 2012, 12:11 PM BST

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2186926/Des-Lynam-London-2012-Olympics-female-commentators-grating.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Blimey, Des!

Bitter man

Perhaps Des didn't realise you get offered a huge wad of cash to move to ITV because its career suicide.

Why should he be bitter tho? He wasn't a commentator. I don't see him having an axe to grind, he's merely stating his opinion, and he has a lot of experience in listening to sports commentaries so it's quite a valid one. Why do women have to instantly suspect he's having a go at the female gender?

My mum always complains about female commentators; male and female voices have different typical characteristics and some are going to find one less pleasing on the ear than the other. Though having said that surely anything is better than listening to Brendan bloody Foster.