The Olympics Page 90

:P Please don't shout.

sigh...

Rolling eyes

Quote: Badge @ August 9 2012, 9:50 PM BST

Not at all gross. Do you think his leg was hanging off or something? He didn't complete his run because he couldn't, he completed it because he could. When was his broken leg diagnosed, for example? How severe is the break? To say it is gross without a full medical diagnosis is surely a bit naive. I think he's done very well though.

You seem really annoyed by my use of the word gross. I find this a bit puzzling! But okay.

To me it is gross, because I am imagining the bones splintering more and more each time his foot hits the ground. Denise Lewis was also grimacing and covering her face while they were talking about it on the telly.

How this can seem so un-gross to someone that it actually annoys them that I have the temerity to say I thought it was gross, I do not know. But there we are. :)

Quote: Badge @ August 9 2012, 10:07 PM BST

Well, people do sport every week with broken bones of sorts. I'm praising the geezer, I just suspect that it wouldn't have got half as much grossness if he'd tweaked a hamstring. And he wouldn't have been able to run his time with a tweaked hamstring.

I do find any mention of torn/broken/snapped hamstrings and tendons gross too.

I hope this doesn't cause some kind of upset for you.

I'm not remotely upset. I think we are all agreeing the guy did well!

Indeed. Hope he's having a nice sit down!

Someone I know broke their leg and proceeded to walk around, thinking it was just sprained, for a couple of days afterwards. God knows how much worse they made it. The whole idea makes me shudder. Urgh.

Quote: Kenneth @ August 9 2012, 6:47 PM BST

As for the Olympic medal tally, the Chinese are pretty aware of who America is, but many have trouble recognizing the country represented by the Union Jack. "Is that London?" "Actually, that's England." "Oh, England is not as bad as America."

Correction - "Actually that's GREAT BRITAIN." are they so ignorant they think only England exists on this island?

Quote: zooo @ August 9 2012, 11:28 PM BST

Yep, let's hope his arse-bones are immune! He's done his bit now though, and the four in the final will be thanking him.

Quote: keewik @ August 9 2012, 11:40 PM BST

Correction - "Actually that's GREAT BRITAIN." are they so ignorant they think only England exists on this island?

Or that "Team GB" includes people not on this island? ;)

Someone I know broke their leg and proceeded to walk around, thinking it was just sprained, for a couple of days afterwards.

Pah! Baby stuff. I walked around on my broken ankle for six weeks thinking it was a sprain, it's only when the swelling didn't go down that I sought medical attention.

And yes, the doctors looked at me like I was a total idiot and said I would most likely develop arthritis in that ankle. Christ I hate doctors and hospitals.

Quote: keewik @ August 9 2012, 11:40 PM BST

Explaining that Scotland, Wales and the other one join forces with England to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is not always comprehended. Besides, you guys are known as Yingyou from Yingguo and I don't know how to say Great Britain.

Quote: Kenneth @ August 10 2012, 1:53 AM BST

Explaining that Scotland, Wales and the other one join forces with England to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is not always comprehended. Besides, you guys are known as Yingyou from Yingguo and I don't know how to say Great Britain.

Kenneth
Im getting the feeling that perhaps Geography isnt a hot subject in Chinese schools?

Quote: Brian Bickerstaffe @ August 10 2012, 7:33 AM BST

Kenneth
Im getting the feeling that perhaps Geography isnt a hot subject in Chinese schools?

Spot on. They do make some fabulous world map jigsaw puzzles that aren't used in schools. China did explore the world in the 1400s but then became somewhat insular. Bringing foreign atlases into China generally raises suspicion among customs officials. Google Maps via a mobile phone in China is a hassle. China is of course the center of the universe and is rising toward global dominance, so other countries are really only markets, places to obtain natural resources and grow food. And to flee to, should you ever decide that political freedom is more important than the freedom to get rich.

Someone I know broke their leg and proceeded to walk around, thinking it was just sprained, for a couple of days afterwards. God knows how much worse they made it. The whole idea makes me shudder. Urgh.

In my student days I cracked a bone in my foot during a Judo contest, but I went on to do the next bout, because, though it hurt, I didn't realise it was actually cracked. I lost.

I then had to have my foot & leg in plaster for the next 6 weeks.

Those people that walk around with broken necks without knowing it make me wince. One wrong move and they're paralysed for life.

Bill you're a scuba diving, marksman who now can do judo with a broken foot.

Are you 001?