Doctor Who... Page 440

Does he ever explain why TimeLords look so much like Humans?
I doubt it! Dawkins always avoids the big questions.

He said "Humans look like Timelords". ;)

You say Tomato..
Let's call that whole thread off.

Quote: Kenneth @ April 22 2010, 10:59 AM BST

His first book, The Selfish Gene, is a good textbook explaining natural selection, self-replicating genes and memes. More of the same in River Out of Eden (with drawings by Lalla) and The Blind Watchmaker.

Tried reading The Blind Watchmaker but after a couple of chapters of being relentlessly explained at I threw in the towel.

But how can Dawkins believe there is no God when he gets to sleep with Lalla Ward?

:D

Quote: billwill @ April 22 2010, 9:29 PM BST

To me, "The God Delusion" seems to be trying to make a religion out of Athesism.

That statement doesn't work on any level.

There are already atheist religions.

Quote: Nogget @ April 23 2010, 1:03 PM BST

atheist religions.

Surely an oxymoron.

[quote name="Timbo" post="610925" date="April 22 2010, 11:40 PM BST"

But how can Dawkins believe there is no God when he gets to sleep with Lalla Ward?[/quote]
Hang on isn't Lalla Ward Dolly Daggers real name????

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 23 2010, 1:03 PM BST

Surely an oxymoron.

Well, apart from anything else; why should we expect anything at all about religion to make sense?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 23 2010, 1:03 PM BST

Surely an oxymoron.

Absolutely. Atheism can never be a religion by definition. People who suggest atheism is a religious state are probably trying to understand it in a way that translates more naturally to their own religious beliefs. It's no big deal, folks - some people do not believe in a god.

Quote: Badge @ April 23 2010, 11:54 PM BST

Absolutely. Atheism can never be a religion by definition. People who suggest atheism is a religious state are probably trying to understand it in a way that translates more naturally to their own religious beliefs. It's no big deal, folks - some people do not believe in a god.

*Wonders whether he should worship Badge.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ April 24 2010, 12:11 AM BST

*Wonders whether he should worship Badge.

:D Stop making me giggle Steve!

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 23 2010, 12:56 PM BST

That statement doesn't work on any level.

Have you read the book?

Quote: Badge @ April 23 2010, 11:54 PM BST

Yes, but in that book "The God Delusion", Richard Dawkins 'comes over' just the same way many 'prophets' try to make you believe in a god, but in his case by the same techniques he is trying to make you believe there is no god.

That's what I meant by 'making a religion of it'. He seems to fervently BELIEVE there is no God and is doing his best to convert others to that view.

I found most of his arguments just as 'circular' as the arguments of religious evangelists.

====

I'm neither religious nor atheist; I'm prepared to believe there might be an all-powerful being or creator, but I ain't seen enough proof yet one way or the other.

Quote: billwill @ April 24 2010, 12:36 AM BST

Have you read the book?

Yes, but in that book "The God Delusion", Richard Dawkins 'comes over' just the same way many 'prophets' try to make you believe in a god, but in his case by the same techniques he is trying to make you believe there is no god.

That's what I meant by 'making a religion of it'. He seems to fervently BELIEVE there is no God and is doing his best to convert others to that view.

I found most of his arguments just as 'circular' as the arguments of religious evangelists.

====

I'm neither religious nor atheist; I'm prepared to believe there might be an all-powerful being or creator, but I ain't seen enough proof yet one way or the other.

It's a simple logical construct though, Bill. If the default is to believe nothing is true until proved otherwise (which is a very scientific approach, and has worked wonders for mankind) then it isn't for non-beleivers to prove anything because - for want of a better phrase, borrowed from elsewhere - until then there is darkness. There is no belief to have, in the absence of belief.