Greatest sitcom of all time? Page 2

Quote: Woozie @ 24th November 2015, 3:12 AM GMT

If we're making nominations then I'd throw; Only Fools And Horses, One Foot In The Grave, Porridge and Dad's Army into the mix along with Blackadder and Fawlty Towers, that I mentioned in an earlier post.

Yes - Dad's Army and Fawlty Towers.

Top 5 - Possibly Top 3.

OFAH, Dad's Army, HHH, FT, Yes M/MP

Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, I think, deserves a mention.

I need to toss.

Peep Show is my favourite, as far as how much I enjoy and laugh at it. But then the same thing can be said about Only Fools and Horses. Two very different shows but the same amount of fondness.

I'm Alan Partridge is also a favourite but I can't watch that over and over as much as the other shows.

Quote: Lee @ 25th November 2015, 8:07 PM GMT

...is my favourite, as far as how much I enjoy and laugh at it....the same thing can be said about Only Fools and Horses.

Lovely jubbly! You know it makes sense. :) I didn't know you like OFAH that much.

I sure do, I grew up watching it. It's just not something that generates much discussion because it's an old show and what could be said about it has already been said many times.

Quote: Janus456 @ 23rd November 2015, 2:04 PM GMT

For me, Fawlty Towers is the greatest Sitcom of all time.

In other words the 60 or so years sitcoms existed? What's with all the bombast, Janus? It's just a thread.

Sorry to repeat myself but when I'm Prime Minister (if Berlusconi can do it, I'm sure I can), I will introduce two new rules:
1. Self-defence is obligatory in all girls' schools. It's a dangerous world, who gives a f**k about Pythagorus?
2. Anyone who still quotes 'Blackadder' has to fellate Rowan Atkinson. If they quote it and pass it off as their own they have to swallow too. That should shut them up.

Only Fools and Horses for me.

A whole bunch of other sitcoms that I equally love are the likes of Fawlty Towers, Till Death, Porridge, The Office, MBB, Peep Show etc.

Father Ted.

Dare I say something a tad controversial about the sublime Fawlty Towers? I largely agree that it is, in its structure, almost perfect, and the script is beyond measure. Now here's the but. I think some of the peripheral acting is a bit weak. I don't mean the regulars like the Major and Miss Tibbs and her sister (name forgotten). I mean the weekly guests. Not all of them. Bernard Cribbins is expectedly brilliant. MRS RICHARDS, again priceless. But what about the Irish labourers? Or the wedding party? I guess the problem is that the set up demanded new faces every week, it being a hotel. This necessitated pitching some pretty average comic actors (not saying they weren't good in other genres) alongside the genius of John Cleese. A tough gig.

As for my favourite, Fawlty Towers is up there, but I would probably plump for Rising Damp. A bit dated now I realise in some of its humour. But the anxieties and disappointments of middle-aged Rigsby and his forlorn pursuit of the twig-like Miss Jones still do it for me. That and Red Dwarf obviously. And Blackadder, it goes without. As for radio, probably Hancock. Goons too.

Rising Damp, of course. A fantastic nominee!

Glad you stuck my two favourites from steam radio at the end there Jamesey - listen to them over and over again and never tire of them.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th November 2015, 8:35 PM GMT

Glad you stuck my two favourites from steam radio at the end there Jamesey - listen to them over and over again and never tire of them.

I love the Hancock TV show. Still not sure about getting the audio discs though. Will they work with my foreign ears?