QI - Series M Page 3

I always get the feeling that Carr isn't that well liked amongst people who book the guests on these type of shows because he only ever seems to be on this and 8 Out of 10 Cats.
Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my behalf because I really can't stand the guy.

One thing that was commented on in my house was that he didn't really let anyone get a word in edgeways this week, less so than he usually does, poor Danny Bhoy said about two things and the rest was taken up by the Lord Charles looking tosspot.

I like him as a host though. It seems to me that when he's a guest panellist, he thinks he's under more pressure to be funny, hence the obnoxious intrusiveness that he doesn't exhibit on 8 Out of 10 Cats.

Even moreso, when Carr is hosting, he uses his fake laugh (it's 100% fabricated, I'd bet my life on it) to make others' jokes seem funnier than they actually are. It's a brilliant, masterful technique.

Quote: Agnostik @ 14th December 2015, 5:53 PM GMT

He is occasionally funny on QI, but I don't really like his style of humour, that is, finding the dirtiest possible interpretation of whatever is being said and firing back with a (usually basic) tasteless one-liner.

Does anyone remember that old episode in which Fry became noticeably annoyed with Carr during a discussion of something relating to... mutilation of female private parts or somesuch, if memory serves? I remember thinking, "Well, Jimmy's not getting invited back". Seems I was wrong.

I'll admit to not being Jimmy Carr's greatest fan. He comes across as a horrible, snarky Oxford educated know-it-all. Considering that he employed 'Mr Loophole' to get him off of a speeding conviction and carried out that tax fraud thing, it doesn't make me particularly warm to him.

Quote: Sarc @ 14th December 2015, 7:09 PM GMT

...poor Danny Bhoy said about two things...

Yes, but that wasn't Carr's fault. And even these two things weren't earthshatteringly funny.
Carr was a bit overactive, that's true, but he doesn't bring the show to a 5 minute long halt everytime he opens his mouth like Phil Jupitus does with his unfunny, shouted monologues.
Carr can be a bit annoying and tasteless at times but for me he was the highlight of last Friday's/Saturday's episode.

Quote: Agnostik @ 14th December 2015, 8:40 PM GMT

I like him as a host though. It seems to me that when he's a guest panellist, he thinks he's under more pressure to be funny, hence the obnoxious intrusiveness that he doesn't exhibit on 8 Out of 10 Cats.

Even moreso, when Carr is hosting, he uses his fake laugh (it's 100% fabricated, I'd bet my life on it) to make others' jokes seem funnier than they actually are. It's a brilliant, masterful technique.

You make some extremely valid points Agnostik. As I don't watch '8 Out of 10 Cats' or 'The Big Fat Quiz of The Year' I rarely see him host panel games.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 14th December 2015, 9:04 PM GMT

Yes, but that wasn't Carr's fault. And even these two things weren't earthshatteringly funny.

Do you think that they were doing the usual 'be nice to the newbie' ploy?

Any comments about last night's QIXL Christmas Special? I enjoyed it, especially the section about the cat music. I wonder if anyone has anything to say about Jenny Eclair's appearance as I'm aware that she's not particularly popular here on the BCG. She was a bit shrill and annoying IMHO.

I thought Jenny was pretty funny to be honest. Overall, I thought it was a great episode. A great end to the show as well.

The final bit was a tad strange because we haven't actually seen most of those magic tricks. Presumably, they are featured in future episodes.

Quote: Woozie @ 20th December 2015, 12:45 PM GMT

I thought Jenny was pretty funny to be honest. Overall, I thought it was a great episode. A great end to the show as well.

She was OK, but seemed to be trying too hard. The reason I raised it is because there was quite a reactionary thread about Ms E on the BCG a while back. I think that she's generally fine on Radio programmes such as JAM, but she can be a bit, erm, graphic at times.

Quote: Agnostik @ 20th December 2015, 3:51 PM GMT

The final bit was a tad strange because we haven't actually seen most of those magic tricks. Presumably, they are featured in future episodes.

I've seen quite a few. I think that the clips were taken from the last two or three series, hence Mr F's change of appearance throughout.

Hmm, I might have forgotten about them then.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 20th December 2015, 6:11 PM GMT

I think that the clips were taken from the last two or three series, hence Mr F's change of appearance throughout.

No, just this series AFAIK.

Quote: Aaron @ 20th December 2015, 11:32 PM GMT

No, just this series AFAIK.

Really? Well, I never.

I suppose that they wanted something special to mark SF's final series? The Magic Circle huh? He's joining such prestigious alumni as Paul Daniels, The Great Soprendo and Ali Bongo.

I believe he hadn't made the decision to quit at the time of recording.

Quote: Aaron @ 21st December 2015, 3:23 PM GMT

I believe he hadn't made the decision to quit at the time of recording.

I think you're right. He may be planning a whole new career though - well him, a cloak, a top hat and a rabbit will be.

I wonder what the new host Ms Toksvig will bring to QI? What has the BCG QI supremo Mr Wolf got to say about it all?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 21st December 2015, 5:35 PM GMT

What has the BCG QI supremo Mr Wolf got to say about it all?

I would say that if anyone wants a detailed to reply concerning Sandi Toksvig taking over as host, or indeed about Series M in general, to read the reviews I've been writing for On The Box (see BCG's press section).

In brief though, I would say that Sandi is probably the best person to take over. She does have that "national treasure" aura that Stephen seems to have as well.

Concerning the magic clips, that did feature elements from shows that have yet to be aired. For example, it includes footage of Dermot O'Leary, who doesn't appear until 8th January. I know that Stephen has an interest in magic. He did an episode of his radio documentary series Fry's English Delight all about the language of magic.