The Missing Hancocks Page 3

Just got round to listening to the first episode and can't really add much to what has been said before. Overall very enjoyable.

Oooh must catch up!

Wave Yey! Welcome back Dellas.

It was good to hear the 'The Missing Hancocks - Director's Commentary', particularly how G&S thought 'The Matador' script was one edited for the US audiences, so it was shorter (24 mins)than the original UK one, as it contained spaces for their promotions/ adverts. It was Neil Pearson efforts we should thank for these '60th anniversary' additions to the catalogue of Hancock's, chosen by G&S, as he helped in doing the persuading at the Beeb, after he bought the scripts at auction. Shame this first one wasn't the full 29 mins worth, but it wasn't 'Half' bad. Ray and Alan are the true founders of modern Situation Comedy, and we owe them a great debt. I believe should be elevated from mere Ordinary Butlin's Entertainers (OBE) statuses and be Knighted this New Year.

Has anyone watched Citizen James?
Got it on DVD and although it isn't a patch on the Hancock stuff (the first series was written by Galton and Simpson) it's still well worth a purchase . . .

Yes. Very funny series, particularly Series 1, as you say.

The Paris gag was worth the price of the ticket alone.

"The Newspaper" - not so good as last week's for me, but McNally still superb as Hancock, so much so that at the start when there was just him and Susy Kane as Andrée Melly (brilliant!) it really did sound like an original HHH. "Bill Kerr" still so-so, "Kenneth Williams" playing Tony's 93 year old uncle sounded more like Kynaston Reeves and "Sid"? Sorry no.

I agree.

Weaker than last weeks by some margin but down to the script rather than the performances.

Just a thought but, couldn't a well know impressionist, say Rory Bremner for want of a better example, do a better Sid?

Quote: Oldrocker @ 8th November 2014, 12:51 AM GMT

Just a thought but, couldn't a well know impressionist, say Rory Bremner for want of a better example, do a better Sid?

Good point.
:)

And I think you are right about the script. My wife laughed a bit, but I suppose ardent fans expect more.

According to THAS website these are due for release on 15 December.

18th, but yes.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/the_missing_hancocks/buy/4188/the_missing_hancocks_audiobook/

My impression was that it wasn't as good as the first. However, I missed the first ten minutes and felt that the last ten minutes were funny. I'm therefore, going to listen to it in full to give it the very best chance.

What I already know is McNally was really excellent and there were times when I almost forgot it wasn't Hancock himself. Oddly, those were the moments when I started to think that any variation wasn't so much Enoch Powell as Brian Walden. They can roll an R well in the West Midlands and in quite a distinct manner. That's the link between all four. Walden was born in West Bromwich. Powell was born in Brum. McNally was educated in Brum. And Hancock, perhaps surprisingly, was born in Hall Green which again is Birmingham.

Well that was an odd one this week - The Hancock Festival.

Inspired by Somerset Maugham's pay packet, Tony becomes a writer. His friends are recruited to bring his dramatic offerings to life.

McNally superb again sounding more like The Lad Himself each week, but no "Kenneth Williams" or "Andree Melee" who is replaced by "Moira Lister".
"Bill Kerr" slightly better I thought, but "Sid" lacking again.

Three playlets by Tony Stafford Hancock, and as if to add to the oddity Eccles from The Goon Show appears very briefly in the third one.

Very enjoyable. :)

A return to form this week and a possible precursor for The East Cheam Drama Festival?

Well done all especially Galton and Simpson. Excellent.