The Missing Hancocks Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ 27th October 2014, 4:54 PM GMT

Series 1 isn't complete, either.

It's fairly standard. It makes it clear that it is the complete collection of those series, but only in so far as it is possible to be.

Ah, lawyer/politician speak - you're not Tony Blair are you? Unimpressed

So, that makes it worse in my eyes - they should have stated Series One & Two and then subtitled it with complete surviving.........

Just watched the short vid. on here at the BCG - Wow!

Kevin McNally as Hancock of course, and...........

Kevin Eldon (been in lots! And is the voice of Penfold in the new Danger Mouse) as Bill Kerr and announcer "This is the BBC Light programme" - Ah, memories!

Simon Greenall (very funny - Geordie Michael in Alan Partridge) as Sid James, although he admits the Sid James voice is totally unique - Amen to that!

Robin Sebastian (sounds like him naturally!) as Kenneth Williams.

Susy Kane ... "Ensemble (Various Roles)" Presumably Hattie somewhere in there?

Should be good!

Well, that was fun . . . thought all but Greenall's voices were spot on . . .

How emotional was that? I felt almost tearful during the build up and thought that all involved did a very fine job. Great that both Galton and Simpson could enjoy it too. McNally is a really excellent Hancock, albeit with a very slight hint of Enoch Powell. Eldon was equally good as Kenneth Williams. And all the others were solid, notwithstanding the acceptance by Greenall of Sid James being inimitable. That I believe is the general view too perhaps a little surprisingly. I thought the best parts were in the interactions between the first two which is just what one would choose as a priority. McNally and Eldon really helped each other to create an uncanny similarity with the original in the timing. I am now very much looking forward to the other episodes.

:) :) :) :) :)

Such a shame that Sid isn't quite right because I personally found myself almost forgetting that it wasn't the real team performing until he showed up. Geoffrey Hutchings played Sid well in Cor Blimey if I remember rightly but he's no longer with us unfortunately.

As for the material it was a decent episode even if dated but that's inevitable really. We should also remember that this an early script so the series was still developing.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 31st October 2014, 4:52 PM GMT

Eldon was equally good as Kenneth Williams.

Eldon played the spot on Bill Kerr, and as the director's commentary mentioned he knew his stuff when his first question was which series was it as Bill (much like Homer and Baldrick) got dumber and dumber with each series . . .

Well, just listened to my recording and I thought Kevin McNally was absolutely brilliant!!!!!!!! There were moments there when you could quite believe it was Hancock. Superb!

As for the rest - Kenneth Williams, very good in parts - Bill Kerr, just about made it - Sid James, disappointing, but then his voice was so distinctive.

And finally mention must go to Susy Kane who I thought had Andrée Melly off to a T and was as good as Kevin. Excellent!

All in all I was very pleased.

My wife, who was half listening while reading a paper thought they were original recordings!

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 31st October 2014, 8:26 PM GMT

Eldon played the spot on Bill Kerr, and as the director's commentary mentioned he knew his stuff when his first question was which series was it as Bill (much like Homer and Baldrick) got dumber and dumber with each series . . .

Apologies. It was Robin Sebastian who played Kenneth Williams - and this is my week of really not knowing what I am saying or doing. Truly this is the last time I will ever decide to have a room redecorated. It's mayhem - and hasn't even started yet. Anyhow, Eldon was very good too as Bill Kerr. And the point about the Tony and Ken interplay remains. That bit on the plane was the best part of a very good episode.

Decent review.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/nov/01/radio-review-miranda-sawyer-hancocks-half-hour-short-cuts

Quote: Oldrocker @ 2nd November 2014, 1:10 AM GMT

Decent review.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/nov/01/radio-review-miranda-sawyer-hancocks-half-hour-short-cuts

Not bad, but couldn't agree, unfortunately, with the "Simon Greenall, who plays Sid James, was a teeny bit out; but only a teeny bit"

I like Simon Greenall, but thought his Sid was way off the mark. Having said that though, Sid's voice was inimitable.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd November 2014, 8:19 AM GMT

Not bad, but couldn't agree, unfortunately, with the "Simon Greenall, who plays Sid James, was a teeny bit out; but only a teeny bit"

I like Simon Greenall, but thought his Sid was way off the mark. Having said that though, Sid's voice was inimitable.

He should have done it as the Compare the Market Meercat . . . "Simples!ach-ach-ach".

Thought Greenall was way off the mark, more a caricature, but a thankless job. Everyone seemed to be trying too hard, probably understandable if it was the first one recorded. What bothered me most of all was the pacing. The originals had a leisurely pacing, pauses were played. This one rattled along as modern radio comedy tends to.

Quote: italophile @ 2nd November 2014, 12:38 PM GMT

Thought Greenall was way off the mark, more a caricature, but a thankless job. Everyone seemed to be trying too hard, probably understandable if it was the first one recorded. What bothered me most of all was the pacing. The originals had a leisurely pacing, pauses were played. This one rattled along as modern radio comedy tends to.

Thing is if you listen to the director's commentary it's brought up why the episode was 5 minutes shorter than normal and it turns out they were probably working from a script cut down for the US market to accommodate adverts . . .

Yes, a shorter script will bring in a shorter episode, but I meant the tempo of the performances. It all sounded rushed compared to the originals.

Can't say I noticed it.