Newsjack - Series 11 Page 3

Quote: Bonzo @ 17th September 2014, 2:35 PM BST

Hi Matt, they said that the 'coming up' confused listeners because they thought that stuff in that section was actually coming up later in the show.

I didn't realise that the show was listened to by that many people that weren't submitting to it. (And their families, if writer got a credit.)

Quote: Bonzo @ 17th September 2014, 2:35 PM BST

Hi Matt, they said that the 'coming up' confused listeners because they thought that stuff in that section was actually coming up later in the show.

That deserves a TLA - OMG.

So people were genuinely confused when items obviously based around puns and humour didn't appear later in the show? Bet they're really upset when they realise Gladiator isn't an ornithology film.
How do these people not die from the simple complexities of modern life?

Quote: Bonzo @ 17th September 2014, 1:50 PM BST

They said that the invite had gone to writers who got something on to the last series (series 10). If you did, then maybe check your 'junk' folder?

Thanks Bonzo. Got something on the last series, but it obviously meant more to me than it did to them. Checked my junk mail, nothing...

Quote: DubiousG @ 17th September 2014, 5:15 PM BST

Thanks Bonzo. Got something on the last series, but it obviously meant more to me than it did to them. Checked my junk mail, nothing...

Possibly already auto-deleted from junk?

It would have made more sense to have coming up listings that were funny but genuinely referenced stuff later on in the show, but we do now get six chances to submit breaking news which is loverly. I made some notes at this thing, here they are jerks.

They would now like us to do intros even though last series most introductions were covered by Romesh. This is especially important for obscure news stories like cats that smuggle crack into prisons.

However, funny stories are not always easy to write for and apparently don't come off well that often, they seem to prefer a funny angle on a non-hilarious item of news.

Don't rely on a sketch that uses impressions just because Lewis is dead good at them. But if your piece does require a specific real character, then say so.

Fewer puns in the one liners, because apparently twitter slaughtered newsjack for this. Literally, with scythes. No wait, I mean figuratively.

We are allowed to propose new segments occasionally if we like. Old lady news was one person's idea and then a few others suggested some. Note down if its going to be a runner.

More outside reports and correspondent pieces instead of just two blokes in the studio talking to each other.

They would like a spoof advert bit that is halfway between a sketch and a one liner. Make them relevant, perhaps an amusing comment on society. One person suggested party political broadcasts. Running ones throughout the single episode would have to be strong enough to kick everyone elses' out though.

The cast is Romesh, Morgana, someone called Ellie, a scribbled name I wrote down in an unintelligible language, Terry Mynott, Ingrid Oliver and then a few more I wrote that are equally unreadable because I'd had a really big lemonade. Lots of people new and old.

They will now put the cast up early apparently, which is proper nice of them.

No preference for topical or non topical one-liners. However Arnab then clearly stated he gets a raging semi for absurd non-topical jokes. This is not verbatim.

I asked if they prefer stories closer to deadline than those from Friday or before, and it wasn't confirmed but implied that perhaps its best to listen to News Quiz, see what they cover and then start from Saturday's news.

Write stuff for the funny ladies on the show. Everyone submits male orientated pieces. If you genuinely needed this spelling out to you then you're probably rubbish anyway.

Lots of sketches they had last year were described as not having a clear character objective and they didn't have a through line with a consistent pov. So don't do that.

More racist limericks.

That last one was a lie.

Website is now updated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1hDdvFLfWClPHW7zT3sq01S/submit-a-sketch

Thanks for the extended notes, Ash.

Quote: ash williamson @ 18th September 2014, 11:40 AM BST

I asked if they prefer stories closer to deadline than those from Friday or before, and it wasn't confirmed but implied that perhaps its best to listen to News Quiz, see what they cover and then start from Saturday's news.

Isn't it the Now Show for the first 4 weeks? Or does Sandi record her own personal News Quiz in the off season?

More racist limericks.

There was a young man from the third Reich
Jews, gypsies and blacks he did dislike

That last one was a lie.

Oh - I'll stop there then...

Shame about the fewer puns, I had a belting 'Through the Pee-hole with Wee Francis' lined up. Back to the drawing board/computer desk.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about giving a man a 'raging semi on'. Not be confused with a 'raging Semillon', which I assume is some kind of wine-cocktail.

Does anybody know whether we attach the 30-second advert to the one-liners or send it separately? And what is the deadline for it, Monday or Tuesday? I suppose the obvious answer is to send it separately by Monday.

Quote: Rob Falconer @ 19th September 2014, 11:06 AM BST

Does anybody know whether we attach the 30-second advert to the one-liners or send it separately? And what is the deadline for it, Monday or Tuesday? I suppose the obvious answer is to send it separately by Monday.

Hi - according to what we were told at the briefing, the 30 second advert is sent on Monday in the same email as your 2 sketches.

Quote: ash williamson @ 18th September 2014, 11:40 AM BST

They would now like us to do intros even though last series most introductions were covered by Romesh. This is especially important for obscure news stories like cats that smuggle crack into prisons.

Funny they don't mention this at all in the new guidelines which doesn't bode well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1hDdvFLfWClPHW7zT3sq01S/submit-a-sketch

Quote: Winger @ 19th September 2014, 2:22 PM BST

Funny they don't mention this at all in the new guidelines which doesn't bode well.

Erm...

Sketch Guidelines:

Please write an introduction for each sketch for Romesh to read, clearly outlining the news story it's from and setting up the sketch for clarity.

:)

Quote: radiat10n @ 19th September 2014, 4:24 PM BST

Erm...

Sketch Guidelines:

Please write an introduction for each sketch for Romesh to read, clearly outlining the news story it's from and setting up the sketch for clarity.

:)

Ahh no I assumed that Ash was talking about intros as we used to write them for the series previous to Romesh joining, when that was a one liner category for the start to the show, not intros to a sketch but that is almost certainly what he meant and not my more galvanized insinuation...

Anyone know if the "12.00pm" deadline refers to noon or midnight, please thank you Huh?

Noon