Bob Servant Independent - Series 1 Page 2

I found it a lot funnier this week. It's a grower for sure, and Brian Cox is marvellous.

I enjoyed this though not laugh a minute.

As said by others, Brian Cox is great.
Mind, it's strange hearing him with a Scottish accent rather than American.

I must admit though that I struggle to comprehend some situations, which is probably why I'll never make it as a comedy writer.

I can't fathom how a well off business man, all be it in burger vans, could be at times so stupid/naive as per the phone-in.

Also, why did they travel all the way back from the radio station in the boot of the cab?
That detracted from the humour of Bob getting in there in the first place.

Nit-picking.

I'll definitely watch again.

Quote: garyd @ January 31 2013, 1:54 PM GMT

I can't fathom how a well off business man, all be it in burger vans, could be at times so stupid/naive as per the phone-in.

Also, why did they travel all the way back from the radio station in the boot of the cab?
That detracted from the humour of Bob getting in there in the first place.

Nit-picking.

I'll definitely watch again.

Had they left the station as normal passengers in the cab the angered dog owners were going to lynch them; the cab driver didn't want an angry mob smashing his cab up in its attempts to give Bob & Frank 'a right good digging'.

Maybe it's not so clear from the TV episodes but in the books Bob is not a phenomenally wealthy and successful businessman per se; in his own mind he is, sure, no doubt about that. He's made a few bob (oof!) flogging cheeseburgers from a small fleet of vans and before that on a window cleaning round. But he's no Alan Sugar.

He has delusions of grandeur and a rather overinflated ego really.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ January 31 2013, 3:28 PM GMT

Had they left the station as normal passengers in the cab the angered dog owners were going to lynch them; the cab driver didn't want an angry mob smashing his cab up in its attempts to give Bob & Frank 'a right good digging'.

Maybe it's not so clear from the TV episodes but in the books Bob is not a phenomenally wealthy and successful businessman per se; in his own mind he is, sure, no doubt about that. He's made a few bob (oof!) flogging cheeseburgers from a small fleet of vans and before that on a window cleaning round. But he's no Alan Sugar.

He has delusions of grandeur and a rather overinflated ego really.

I fully understood the need for escaping in the boot and appreciated the humour of it but not to stay there for the whole journey. Unless the bleedin' obvious is that it was to just round the corner.

Thanks for the info re his wealth. Yep, that does make more sense re his character. Cheers.

Have just seen episode 1: We both loved it!

The character is an appalling man :-D ... a sort-of cross between "Rab C Nesbitt" and "Alan Partridge"!

Roll-on our watching episode 2!

Navid! :D

Not sure why series has attracted so little attention on here (hidden away on BBC Four perhaps?) but I've really enjoyed it so far. Brian Cox is indeed excellent and it has a charm to it. Hopefully it will return.

Out of curiosity I had a little look at ep 2 on YouTube, within 10 mins I was hooked. Currently up to ep 3 on the iPlayer and enjoying it very much :)

Not been much funny on of late sitcom wise, so chuffed to discover this.

Great casting for Bob and Frank :D

Nice to see Alex Norton back on our screens. Changed a bit since Robin Hood and Blackadder though. :D

Good ending episode. Cox has been fantastic in this, what an actor, so I hope it gets another series for him alone, but it'll probably test the writer to get another six good episodes with this idea and material (without repeating itself). Nice little sitcom that isn't going to be blazing a trail in any top sitcom lists but it was nice to see it pop up.

Hmm, I did it an injustice, didn't I. The main character's so strong they just have to get a second series out of it, and I'll be gobsmacked if they don't. Also Cox should be nominated in the Baftas for his performance, great old fashioned sitcom scenery chewing, I love it. More please.

Quote: Nil Putters @ February 27 2013, 10:11 PM GMT

Nice to see Alex Norton back on our screens. Changed a bit since Robin Hood and Blackadder though. :D

Yes, and if he can still contribute to scenes that good, then where the hell has he been, casting directors?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 28 2013, 10:12 AM GMT

Good ending episode.

I thought it rather a dull episode-we knew Bob would lose and it doesn't seem there's anywhere for the character to go.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 28 2013, 10:12 AM GMT

Yes, and if he can still contribute to scenes that good, then where the hell has he been, casting directors?

Loved it.

The final episode probably wasn't the strongest of the run but this definitely deserves a second series. As the character has now gone from the page to the radio to the screen, I think there's plenty of life in him.

Apparently Brian Cox started off at Dundee Repertory Company. Not sure if it's still there-doubt it.

How cringeworthy this programme is.
Why make a series of it when one was poor enough :( :(
Sorry for the actors who are taking part ...... Not for me and many others !,