Bob Servant Independent - Series 1

I'm looking forward to this immensely as I love the books. Although as far as I can see this doesn't appear to be based on them as such - stylistically or subject matter I mean - these 6 episodes seem to go for a continuous narrative approach throughout.

But the characters of Bob and Frank are so strong and Neil Forsyth has written the series himself so I'm sure it will be excellent.

The clips look very good too and it seems, to me anyway, that this is going to be right up there with Still Game as another top drawer Scottish offerings.

First episode is this Wednesday 23rd Jan BBC Four and also BBC Two Scotland on Friday 25th - both are 10pm kick-offs.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/bob_servant_independent/videos/

20 mins.
Nothing funny yet.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 23 2013, 10:22 PM GMT

I'm warming to it.

Have I got your vote?

I dunno yet..

I walked all the way out here! Laughing out loud

That was funny, Lazzard.

There were some nice moments, but it never really got out of neutral for me. Disappointing considering it was directed by the woman who brought us The Book Group and starred the definitive Hanibal Lecter.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ January 21 2013, 3:20 PM GMT

I'm looking forward to this immensely as I love the books. Although as far as I can see this doesn't appear to be based on them as such - stylistically or subject matter I mean...

For those interested, the books seem to be Bob Servant, Hero of Dundee, Delete This at Your Peril and Why Me? The Important Emails of Bob Servant.

There were some amazingly flat bits, but I also laughed out loud quite a lot too. With a couple of reservations, a strong start and very enjoyable half hour on the whole.

It was very gently paced; more like Ballykissangel or Hamish Macbeth. But good plot and lovely performances seemed for me to out play some of the slightly soft writing. I certainly laughed at the last interview.

Did no one else think Cox was overacting ever so slightly?
It was like he was auditioning for Pirates of the Caribbean.

Fair play to the Jocks for getting something under the wire.
But he's no Rab C Nesbitt.

For a first episode I laughed a lot, he's a very funny disaster area of a comedy character.

This is something I shall have to watch, I like it when serious actors take on comedy and I like Scottish comedy generally.

Didn't think BBC Four were making new progs, I thought they stopped a couple of years ago? It's threatening to become their best channel, IMO.

I thought it was brilliant - although as a big fan of the characters already I'm probably biased. I would concede that perhaps it mightn't be everyone's cup of Darjeeling, but certainly it's mine.

I loved the pace and delivery, and as I used to bang on on here in the past, it made a refreshing change, for me anyway, from a relentless onslaught of set-up...gag, set-up...gag, set-up...gag ad infinitum (not that that in itself is at all bad but it just gets monotonous for me sometimes if I don't care much for the characters).

I laughed out loud on many occasions during the thirty minutes, chuckled continually and smiled throughout.

The characters were given a chance to breathe even within the half hour. I thought Brian Cox and Jonathan Watson, as the leads, were superb and great realisations of what I had in my head already. So often in adaptations this can be a big stumbling block for many.

Neil Forsyth's script was brilliantly understated and totally in tune with the books; the continuous narrative format only serving to make the characters more real and rounded.

It's a shame it's not a one-hour-per-episode show as it plays a wee bit more like a comedy drama at times. Best thing I've seen in yonks and I can't wait for next week's episode.

Bravo BBC! Bravo!

Just watched it and loved it. Typical thick local politician and the dog fracas was brilliant.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ January 24 2013, 7:21 PM GMT

I loved the pace and delivery, and as I used to bang on on here in the past, it made a refreshing change, for me anyway, from a relentless onslaught of set-up...gag, set-up...gag, set-up...gag ad infinitum (not that that in itself is at all bad but it just gets monotonous for me sometimes if I don't care much for the characters).

The characters were given a chance to breathe even within the half hour. I thought Brian Cox and Jonathan Watson, as the leads, were superb and great realisations of what I had in my head already.

Neil Forsyth's script was brilliantly understated and totally in tune with the books; the continuous narrative format only serving to make the characters more real and rounded.

I couldn't articulate why this was chimeing with me but I'd agree with your review.

I remember Minder was originally criticised for having no sense of urgency but that is why it grew in popularity because it was character driven with a superb old hand like George Cole in the seat (same with Only Fools and Horses come to think of it).

Lovely writing and performances. I recall Bob's email shenanigans fondly.

A thumbs up from me too. Not groundbreaking or hilarious, but gently simmering with that wry cum sour Scottish humour, very good, especially the last ten minutes. Cox is excellent, if a bit Nesbitt like at times. Will I watch regularly, don't know, if I remember to I might.