The general pop/rock - music thread Page 50

The Last Waltz is good - plus Robert Palmers compilation "Addictions".

Neither of those are documentaries as such though. Elvis Costello one on BBC4 last week was good though.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 14th November 2013, 9:06 AM GMT

Almost as spectacular as this:

Is this a new era of supergroups? Shall I throw my Blind Faith, CSNY or ELP CDs into the bin?

Or this:

Quote: Will Cam @ 14th November 2013, 11:03 PM GMT

Or this:

What a fine looking bunch!

Or this:

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Or this:

Peg eight our Will Cam !

Quote: Ben @ 14th November 2013, 10:35 PM GMT

So, what other band documentaries do you like? I don't own that many, but I really like Starshaped and No Distance Left to Run by Blur. Dipping into the Beatles Anthology is always a treat too.

The Classic Albums series is usually first rate. The best one I've seen was for "Dark Side of the Moon" which was available on DVD for a while.

BBC4 shows so many great music documentaries these days. Recent ones I've enjoyed include ones about/featuring Ray Davies, Mott the Hoople, Graham Parker, the history of the Eagles (Pt 1).

The Great Hip Hop Hoax in the Storyville strand was really engaging and gripping. I think it's still on iPlayer. It was made by the person who made the film about the record shop in Stockton a couple of years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/posts/The-Great-Hip-Hop-Hoax-Lies-about-the-lies

The recent Jimi Hendrix one ("Imagine" series) was good too.

Has someone bought the new collection of Beatles BBC sessions?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 16th November 2013, 6:42 PM GMT

Has someone bought the new collection of Beatles BBC sessions?

Thanks for the question GB. No - but when you mentioned it I felt some trepidation.

Decades ago, a couple of old tape reels fell into my hands. They included early BBC sessions of the Beatles. Please Mr Postman etc. In fact, I think they are old BBC tapes. For a while I thought I might be sitting on a goldmine.

Later it transpired that they had been made more widely available - or so I thought. But on seeing your post I had to check the detail just to make sure that this stuff is different - and of course it is. Well, I think it is..........!

:)

They were all played on Radio 2 as a series recently.

(Probably 10 years ago now or more.)

Quote: Chappers @ 16th November 2013, 7:04 PM GMT

They were all played on Radio 2 as a series recently.

(Probably 10 years ago now or more.)

Ah, not surprised.

Looks like it will have to be the Lottery then.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th November 2013, 10:54 PM GMT

The Last Waltz is good

Yeah, I rather liked The Last Waltz. Not so much a documentary as you say though. Did it have backstage bits and interviews interspersed with the gig footage? I haven't seen it for a few years, so can't recall.

Probably my favourite bit in "The Last Waltz" is Van Morrison singing "Caravan":

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e52_1296967761

What a big "surprise"...Phil Collins is thinking about a comeback (according to my hometown newspaper).

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 25th November 2013, 5:16 PM GMT

What a big "surprise"...Phil Collins is thinking about comeback (according to my hometown newspaper).

Oh God, no!

Quote: Oldrocker @ 25th November 2013, 5:25 PM GMT

Oh God, no!

;)