Twenty Twelve - Series 2 Page 3

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ April 23 2012, 5:03 PM BST

It was gentle and unfunny.

So is my Grandma. But I don't dislike her for it.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ April 24 2012, 11:37 AM BST

I do. Tell her to go suck an egg.

Also I loved the Tiny Tempah piss take. Brilliant. And the way the posers lapped it up as good!

Where has Olivia Colman gone?

Quote: DougWonnacott @ April 24 2012, 11:37 AM BST

Your Granda's sole purpose isn't to make you laugh though, I'm sure she has uses beyond comedy :S

Quote: dennispennis123 @ April 24 2012, 4:23 PM BST

Where has Olivia Colman gone?

She cleaned her desk out at the end of episode 2 after Ian once again failed to notice her. Her character was just sad though, so it's no loss in my mind... there really wasn't any humour in her crush on/constantly being ignored by Ian.

Quote: MTpromises @ April 24 2012, 9:24 PM BST

She cleaned her desk out at the end of episode 2 after Ian once again failed to notice her. Her character was just sad though, so it's no loss in my mind... there really wasn't any humour in her crush on/constantly being ignored by Ian.

She's got a BAFTA nomination for it though!

Has she left the show for good then?

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ April 24 2012, 6:35 PM BST

Your Granda's sole purpose isn't to make you laugh though, I'm sure she has uses beyond comedy :S

She is a good source for free biscuits.

Quote: dennispennis123 @ April 24 2012, 11:38 PM BST

She's got a BAFTA nomination for it though!

Has she left the show for good then?

I think so. I'm assuming it was probably her decision to leave. I reckon she must be much more in demand since her award nominated, critically acclaimed performances in 'The Iron Lady' and 'Tyrannasaur'. Perhaps she just wasn't available for more than two episodes.

Her departure has been really bizarrely handled. Has there been a single mention of her on the show? If so, I've missed it. Nothing since Ian looked at her empty desk, that I've noticed? Curious for something purporting to be a documentary.

I like how they handled it. Real work based documentaries don't always delve into peoples' private lives. When the new Head of Legacy shows up and Ian clearly likes the look of her (she is pretty hot), there is a quick shot of Sally in which Olivia Colman gives a 'blink and you'll miss it' look that shows her completely devastated.

I think if she (the character) had told him how she felt, she would have done it without a documentary crew watching. I think it's feasable that the two of them would refuse to talk about it on camera, hence it not being mentioned.

Or perhaps I'm thinking about it a bit too much.

I think you are, and I think you're probably wrong too! One of my biggest problems with the show in its use of 'documentary' is how open Ian has been to camera about his relationship with his wife (and so a) why would he not speak to them about Sally, as you suggest, and b) I don't believe that would be included in genuine docs), whilst I can't think we even know if any of the others are married or not at all, nevermind had any of that insight into their 'lives'.

Exposing so much of him and none of anyone else doesn't ring true. IMO.

Quote: Aaron @ April 26 2012, 12:20 PM BST

I think you are, and I think you're probably wrong too! One of my biggest problems with the show in its use of 'documentary' is how open Ian has been to camera about his relationship with his wife (and so a) why would he not speak to them about Sally, as you suggest, and b) I don't believe that would be included in genuine docs), whilst I can't think we even know if any of the others are married or not at all, nevermind had any of that insight into their 'lives'.

Exposing so much of him and none of anyone else doesn't ring true. IMO.

Hmmm. You may have a point there. Although as far as I can recall, the only private lives we know about are Ian Fletcher and Kay Hope (Amelia Bullmore). I think this has only happened when the characters have brought it up themselves or when it has had some impact on their jobs (ie: being late/going home early).

Or maybe he wouldn't talk about it on camera to spare her feelings.

Or perhaps Olivia Colman will come back in series 3 (or is it the second half of series 2?) and we'll find out then.

It's Series 3.

We shall see...

Quote: Aaron @ April 25 2012, 10:29 AM BST

Her departure has been really bizarrely handled. Has there been a single mention of her on the show? If so, I've missed it. Nothing since Ian looked at her empty desk, that I've noticed? Curious for something purporting to be a documentary.

Erm, yes. David Tennant refers to her 'unavoidable departure' early on in Episode 3, shortly after the very obvious establishing shots of her replacement...

Ok, so one narrative mention. In a 'documentary' purporting to feature real people, the departure of a major supporting character wouldn't go unmentioned by everyone else, would it?