The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 13

Looking forward to entering this. Been lurking round these parts for a while now.

In terms of length I'm guessing slightly over 15 minutes is better than the script running short. Mine is about 3500 words, and I've done a few read-throughs, so I think I'm on track. Any penalties for falling outside the limit?

Quote: Declan @ October 27 2011, 2:43 PM BST

Marc, if we find nothing wrong with it, we'll probably put it on!

Sounds fair! :D

Quote: JamesC @ October 27 2011, 3:09 PM BST

Looking forward to entering this. Been lurking round these parts for a while now.

In terms of length I'm guessing slightly over 15 minutes is better than the script running short. Mine is about 3500 words, and I've done a few read-throughs, so I think I'm on track. Any penalties for falling outside the limit?

You have to build in time for audience laughter James:) And business if any.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 27 2011, 1:25 PM BST

Questions for Declan and Simon, Have you been knocked over instantly reading a script entry, thinking it's a winner? If so, has it won, or got close?

We cried laughing when we read Bryn Mills' Thunderer! in 2010 which went on to win. If we find something we think is brilliant, we'll ring each other up. It's a very exciting moment.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 27 2011, 1:25 PM BST

Conversely have you unsurely put something through you didn't unaminously agree on only to find it going all the way or nearly all the way?
So have you been surprised by the success or lack of success of some?

And on all those borderline decisions when you're choosing the ones to go through to perform, on what grounds do most of the lucky scripts win out on, do you think? Will it be quality of dialogue, or character, or that it's funnier than others, or that it seems more original or unique than many others, or that it is simply spot on with the rules about duration, stageability, etc.? What qualities may best tip the balance in a close decision, would you say?
Ta.

We've had a few that we didn't necessarily agree on, but none that either of us hated. When it comes to the winners, what is becoming evident is that the Finalists who put the most effort in - finding out what works, rewriting what doesn't etc - are coming out on top.

We say that we're looking for Funny, Interesting, Marketable and Stageable, but the overriding quality that we're looking for most of all is confidence, in both the script and the writer.

And James, if yours is slightly over 15 minutes, why don't you make it 15 minutes? It's like saying, "I've nearly swum the channel..."

Quote: Declan @ October 27 2011, 3:22 PM BST

And James, if yours is slightly over 15 minutes, why don't you make it 15 minutes? It's like saying, "I've nearly swum the channel..."

Or as Matthew Webb once put it: "I've nearly written a sitcom..."

Quote: Marc P @ October 27 2011, 3:13 PM BST

You have to build in time for audience laughter James:)

Counting my own laughter it's now at 46 minutes. I crack myself right up.

Quote: Declan @ October 23 2011, 11:54 PM BST

Character breakdowns and a synopsis are good but not necessary.

We'll be judging you on the script, so just make sure the character breakdown and synopsis matches what's on the page. A huge number last year didn't.

Thanks Declan and Simon. I've got one script polished off and another being brutally torn apart by friends and family.

At least they're honest.

The big honest bastards.

Ultimately I'll be writing a script that will tickle my pickle but... have you any ideas as to what the industry are currently looking for? Something that's cosmopolitan? Surreal? Gender orientated? Class orientated? Rich : )

Hello
Quick question, how sweary can I be? Don't do C-words, but plenty of Fs. Is that acceptable?

To add to the barrage of questions - any news on the ebook Si & Dec?

Cheers

Quote: Trinder @ November 5 2011, 1:08 PM GMT

Hello
Quick question, how sweary can I be? Don't do C-words, but plenty of Fs. Is that acceptable?

Try writing the script and then deleting all the 'f**ks'. See if it's objectively any less funny.

1) Richie: don't worry about what the industry are looking for - if you've written a brilliant script then they'll have found it.

2) Trinder: which channel are you pitching your sitcom to? If it's C4 then swearing is acceptable, if it's CBBC then probably not. Think about where you see your sitcom being broadcast, because we will.

3) Frantically: we've got some big and exciting news to announce very soon on the ebook. Watch this space.

Cool - thanks Dec. I'll defo be getting a copy.

I mean for the Sitcom mission. Would you consider a sweary piece. I've got two pieces, one is very sweary and I just need to know if you're looking for pre-watershed stuff or not.

Thanks Declan, besides the flatshare/Men Behaving Badly format, what are the most common sit-com scenarios you get sent? And are there any re-occuring characters that you are fed up with?

Trinder: If your character swears because that's part of who they are, then that's fine. Just don't give us loads of swearing grannies because they're boring - unless you make them utterly brilliant.

Richie: The only characters we're fed up with are bland ones.

And don't worry about what other people are writing - concentrate on making yours brilliant. Even if you think you're coming up with something totally original, we can bet that six other people are writing about it too (witness the zombie/apocalypse sitcoms we got sent last year).

Cheers, Declan