The Secret Life Of Bob Monkhouse

I wonder if anyone saw this, on BBC4 on Monday night?

90 minute documentary focussing on his obsessive collecting and film archive with some never-before-seen clips from Hancock, Pete and Dud etc.

Monkhouse obtained a video recorder in 1966 (when they cost as much as a car) and made copies of shows that the TV companies wiped right after broadcasting. His archive is now the only existing repository of many shows and performances.

Brilliant doc, showing what a multifaceted and talented man he was. And showing that the slickness that he was often derided for was hard won (as a young man he listened to American comics on a shortwave radio and deconstructed their jokes). A must watch.

iPlayer link here.

I've seen footage of his amazing video collection before. Presumably on a different documentary as I didn't watch this one the other night (unless it was a repeat?).

I saw this, it was a bit crazy how much stuff he would record.

I saw the outside of his house once, it had so many satellite dishes on the roof it looked hike jodrell bank, at a time when any satellite dish was a rarity.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 5 2011, 1:23 PM GMT

I saw this, it was a bit crazy how much stuff he would record.

50,000 video tapes... And anyone who collects the TV Times has the baddest OCD.

That said, he clearly had an over-stimulated mind like a lot of brilliant people and generally required constant activity and sensory input. Whatever you think of his comedy he was in a different league to his contemporaries in this, which presumably led to some of his feelings of isolation and unhappiness.

Quote: sidecar jon @ January 5 2011, 2:48 PM GMT

I saw the outside of his house once, it had so many satellite dishes on the roof it looked hike jodrell bank, at a time when any satellite dish was a rarity.

:D

Being called Monkhouse myself, the worst thing about my childhood was having people make jokes about it... And the best thing about my adulthood is discovering what a superb comic he actually was. Sorry to repeat myself/quote other sites but... http://www.chortle.co.uk/correspondents/2008/03/03/6488/praise_be_to_bob%21

It was an illuminating documentary - loads of great footage, with his slightly unhinged performance in the post-sacking Golden Shot being one of the most interesting. His enthusiasm for old comedy classics was great to see too.

If you want to skip iPlayer it's repeated on BBC Four on Saturday night.

Always worth a mention - I still think Bob's classic joke is an almost perfect gag: "They laughed when I said I'd be a comedian - they're not laughing now"

Never liked Monkhouse or enjoyed watching him perform. All the skill in the world, but zero charm, as far as I was concerned. One of Bob's main heroes was that technically brilliant - but absolute shit-of-a-human-being - Bob Hope. It showed.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 5 2011, 7:38 PM GMT

Never liked Monkhouse or enjoyed watching him perform. All the skill in the world, but zero charm, as far as I was concerned. One of Bob's main heroes was that technically brilliant - but absolute shit-of-a-human-being - Bob Hope. It showed.

Was Monkhouse any less likeable than the majority of comedians?

He was a bit smarmy. But he was fricking hilarious.

Quote: zooo @ January 5 2011, 1:22 PM GMT

I've seen footage of his amazing video collection before. Presumably on a different documentary as I didn't watch this one the other night (unless it was a repeat?).

We saw that at the BFI.

Quote: Aaron @ January 5 2011, 9:29 PM GMT

We saw that at the BFI.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah. Brain the size of a pea.
:$

I thought it a wonderful and fitting tribute to a great comedian, great archivist, and by all accounts a great man. I hope that some of those programmes from his archive will make it into my own very soon.

Always worth a mention - I still think Bob's classic joke is an almost perfect gag: "They laughed when I said I'd be a comedian - they're not laughing now"

c. Ian Pattinson. Sorry to be comedy writing nerd, but I always like to see credit go to the right place. Ian is the 'programme associate' on ISIHAC, and almost certainly also had a hand in the Stephen Fry Piers Morgan 'countryside' gag.

PS no relation to Rab C. Nesbitt writer.

Quote: Badge @ January 5 2011, 7:32 PM GMT

Always worth a mention - it's always hard to know who wrote what.

Does that cover it?

Whistling nnocently