Richard Bacon's Beer & Pizza Club Page 4

Quote: Tony Cowards @ September 30 2010, 3:01 PM BST

don't see the point of "scoring" the rounds though? Why not just have them chatting for the sake of it rather than trying to make it into some sort of loose panel game?

Because this is a badly thought out show, and almost nothing about it seems to work for me. It had a pilot - I thought those were for working through its problems? Maybe they tried the chatting only method and decided that didn't look right either? This is the sort of thing you wouldn't even see on Dave, it is that poor.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ September 30 2010, 3:01 PM BST

Charlie Baker is a lovely guy and a good stand up but this show isn't really doing him any favours (although I'm sure he's picking up a nice fee).

I think the problem is that as the "new boy" in amongst familiar faces he's trying a little bit too hard and coming across as a bit desperate, there also appears to be no "chemistry" between him and Richard Bacon, they just look like two people thrown together rather than laddish best mates (which I'd assumed was kind of the point).

Yeah, he comes across as very needy and desperate for laughs - which he doesn't get from me. No idea what he's like as a stand-up as I'd never heard of him before this, but ... well, as you say, it's not doing him any favours.

What doesn't help is that both weeks they've managed to catch one of the other panellists looking at him with disdain!
May be just an unfortunate coincidence.

Well, at least he puts some effort in, unlike those lounging blokes who just want to look cool, yes I mean you Bacon. But it is all jarring horribly, I agree, last week Hound bonded with him like a pro, but he should be hosting it, not the smarm meister, Bacon. And do any of them look like real mates? It all looks bad, very outated, even the set looks 90s instead of er...what do we call this decade again, teenies? I'm quite enjoying detesting this show, tbh, well done ITV4, I could be a regular viewer of this awful embarrassing mess of a show.

Have been watching it & actualy been enjoying it.
Agree that Charlie Baker has been trying too hard as the newbie and this isn't really showing him at his best. Have seen him perform live & he is very funny. Charlie has done a lot of warm up for various TV shows according to his agent's site and will be appearing as a panellist on Buzzcocks this series having done the warm up. He also did the warmup for Jonathan Ross!
He did seem to bond with Rufus well as I think they have worked together before.
The format is a bit contrived & not all episodes flow as well as others. It depends on the guests.
Possibly could have done without the "100 Seat Studio Audience" in his flat ;-)

I'm getting more to like Charlie Baker, maybe he's calming down or I am. For me it ought to be in a real flat, no audience (or maybe they could web cam it to a pub /club or something to get reaction). I wish it were better but I'm sure no one on the show has the authority to make much change now...

I watched an episode of this and just thought it was trying too hard. Nothing against Richard Bacon as he has his moments and the concept is an intriguing one... but the comics who were joining him were bleurgh. (Constructive criticism I know!) Just felt like a chore to watch...

Richard Bacon is in Alan Partridge territory trying to get down with the lads with his beer and pizza. It looks like the sort of late night TV programme that the obnoxious Bob Mills would usually front.

Bob Mills was a bit smug, but very good!

Don't, I expect the supersmug Bob Mills will be the next guest on now. I've dipped into the last couple and I was amazed to see that it was almost watchable the whole way through. It does depend heavily on the quality of guests, it's true, which does seem to be getting better too. Getting better.

We got FREE tickets from Applausestore to see Richard Bacon's Beer & Pizza Club being filmed. Having been to see it last night, I must say that the tickets were massively over-priced.

Infantile concept, badly realised, lamentably presented and the sort of show I imagine the Producer is trying desperately to get his/her name removed from the credits.

Aw, I quite liked it last series. Dependent on who the guests are, obviously.