Jonathan Creek Page 5

So. Any update on this? Davies has replied to a few more people on Twitter about it and is pretty clear that this story is *not* true, yet the BCG haven't altered their story and it is unlike this site to report a story as fact without being sure of it first.

Quote: cwickham @ June 6 2012, 3:41 PM BST

it is unlike this site to report a story as fact without being sure of it first.

You said it.

Maybe Alan Davies is replaced by John Culshaw - or better still someone who looks and sounds like AD.

I think the BBC commissioned it and announced that they have without asking Davies if he wants to do it first. And he's putting them in their place by denying it.

Quote: Dave @ June 7 2012, 1:16 PM BST

I think the BBC commissioned it and announced that they have without asking Davies if he wants to do it first. And he's putting them in their place by denying it.

Ah. That would make sense - although I note that the BBC haven't officially confirmed it in a press release or anything yet.

Davies' touring commitments have pushed production back. The special is now being prepared for TX Easter 2013.

But an Easter special isn't the same as a Christmas special. The Beeb are having trouble getting them together these days. And some old shows are being used just for one off specials now, this, Ab Fab, RoyFam, Gav & Stac, etc. So of course they'll have problems getting specials together because it means the main cast members have other contracts to adhere to and can't always drop everything for one new bit of filming just when the Beeb wants.

Or in this case I wonder how annoyed Davies still is for the cancelling of Whites, which he didn't seem to have trouble making time for. My conclusion - if the BBC would stop axing shows willy nilly, maybe the stars of those shows would be more cooperative?

Perhaps there should be a regular one off slot for revivals, pilots and plays.

I didn't like the last ep of JC, and would only want another episode if it was to herald a new area of episodes - or even a fifth series. As much as I respect David Renwick, he's retired now and I think the show should have new writers so it can do what Columbo did: come back and stay. Renwick would still have a 'Created By' credit, and Davies could then be playing it till he's well into his 50s, thereby avoiding the neccessity to get new work in shows such as The Brief or Whites. Drop Klaus - although he was a great character and performance - and give Jonathan a new boss, and make it fresher, with new, changing writers (like Midsumer Murders or Frost) so Jonathan Creek can go on. Caroline Quentin has often said she would go back if she was asked. They could do it all again like it's 1998.

I seem to recall reading that Renwick had refused to let anyone else write for the series.

Quote: Aaron @ August 12 2012, 8:33 PM BST

I seem to recall reading that Renwick had refused to let anyone else write for the series.

I don't blame him really because it really suited his style. It wasn't just a mystery drama series. It had his indelible print.

Davies confirmed that they're filming a special just after Christmas for broadcast next year

Ha. Where did he say that?

In Edinburgh. I heard the very words come out of his very mouth.

At the 'We Heart BCG Cos It's Always Right' convention.

:D