Beyond The Pole - Stephen Mangan & Rhys Thomas Page 2

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ January 6 2010, 12:36 PM GMT

I think it's something to do with the curvature of the earth.
Time passes twice as slowly at the Poles, and four times as slowly when you're watching something with Stephen Mangan in it.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: wowthats bonzer @ January 5 2010, 11:15 PM GMT

US Examiner which mentioned BTP as one of the top ten films of 2009!

http://www.examiner.com/x-13019-West-Palm-Beach-Movie-Examiner~y2009m12d31-Examiners-ten-best-films-of-2009

#8 "Beyond the Pole" – From UK filmmaker David Williams this great mockumentary follows two best friends as they try to become the first carbon neutral, vegetarian, organic expedition to the North Pole. Christopher Guest would have been proud to call this his own. The film was a big hit this year at FLIFF. If the filmmaker chose to tell his story in a different style it probably would not have worked as well, but the mocumentary approach is what helps this film fire on all cylinders. The film is getting its due diligence over in the UK in 2010, and hopefully will be making its way back into the states as well.

The chap's top ten also includes Transformers 2.

Examiner.com is an interesting site. Anyone can write for it, as long as they don't mind working for free and having their name checked against the sex offender registry.

umm I haven't seen transformers 2 and it's good isn't it that these are the views of non sex offenders?

all BTP's reviews have been good to date (EMPIRE, EYEFORFILM, BINA007, BRITFLICKS) and as far as I know not a single one of those reviews has emerged from anyone sexually deviant.

though I think there's room for their views too.

(If they are good for a 4 star and over)

I'm now beginning to feel sorry for wowthats bonzer, whose obviously been tasked with drumming up some sort of online buzz for Beyond The Pole.

It can't be any easy life, getting up everyday and sitting in front of the computer constantly spamming a load of different websites and forums, only to be met with either indifferent silence or scathing sarcasm.

But when your marketing campaign is obviously devoid of funds, I suppose there's no other way to do it. Remember that film Donkey Punch? No of course you don't, nobody went to go see it. However it did have a large footprint on the Googleweb and got a lot of people talking - unfortunately they all said the same thing 'What's a donkey punch?...Oh, okay...Am I going to go see it?...No.'

In the spirit of BCG goodwill, I've decided to help wowthats bonzer by creating a new press release:

'Hey, have you heard about the great new indie Brit comedy Beyond The Pole? It's coming out in February, so see it then...or wait 4 weeks and watch in on DVD...or wait 5 weeks and see it on Filmflex...or wait 6 weeks and watch it for nothing on Film Four!'

Quote: wowthats bonzer @ January 6 2010, 1:10 PM GMT

if you're on this website you must be at least be interested in the medium....!!!

We're a bit too interested unfortunately. That's why we're probably one of the few forums to actually respond to your spam and openly engage you in conversation.

If you think we're being a bit harsh, why not head over to Ain't It Cool News and trying your promotional spiel there. I warn you though, it can be quite a hostile place.

I like Mangan. :$ :)

Quote: wowthats bonzer @ December 9 2009, 9:14 PM GMT

"exceptional..a consistently enjoyable romp" EMPIRE

"unique...a great film" BRITFLIX

Surely this says it all, eh? If the people at Empire have seen it and delivered this verdict, how can we condemn it on a trailer that (imo) possibly doesn't do the completed film justice?

Quote: wowthats bonzer @ December 9 2009, 9:14 PM GMT

"exceptional..a consistently enjoyable romp" EMPIRE

"Stuart Biddlecombe's snowscapes are exceptional"

"The frequently improvised humour may be rather patchy, but this is a consistently enjoyable romp"

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 6 2010, 4:04 PM GMT

"Stuart Biddlecombe's snowscapes are exceptional"

"The frequently improvised humour may be rather patchy, but this is a consistently enjoyable romp"

Well, I guess you can argue with it. Laughing out loud

These reviews stand up against pretty much any recent uk film you care to mention don't they? (particularly comedies)

Why don't you check out Britflicks and the Eyeforfilm reviews? And BINA007?

Good luck

The reviews (I've read them) are good. I expect it's a good film.

I thought the trailer was pretty good too.

Surely it's worth giving the film a chance? The trailer didn't make me laugh, but I'd still take a punt on it. It really doesn't help when every new comedy venture, be it film or sitcom is destroyed in advance. That said, I do think the impotent/important slogan is pretty naff. I first heard that gag about 20 yrs ago in a very racist joke.

You spelled Stephen Mangan wrong, it's actually David Bussell.

Blimey! Thankyou!! I was begining to lose all hope in anyone having any interest at all in something that is good but doesn't have squillions of £ to spend on marketing.

'Wowthats bonzer' is an amateur spammer/pseudo-intellectual/shirt-lifter/'Loose Women'-watcher who via his master, is trying to produce an army of mindless insects who will obey his master's every command. His master plans to destroy people's minds using either drugs or an advanced form of 'Beyond-The-Piles' lobotomy. Whichever approach he takes, his method (or school, or ideology - it is hard to know exactly what to call it) goes by the name of "Beyond the Pole-Dancer". It is a short-sighted and avowedly inarticulate philosophy that aims to break us up into a set of quarrelling, wrangling, squabbling factions.

We BCGers must not let this happen.

Tickets for Beyond the Pole have just gone on sale at the ICA

Now's your chance you comedy loving lot - go see it - then rip it to shit!

Runs from 12th - 28th Feb

http://bit.ly/5Ao1RQ