The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 790

And QPR stuffing Leeds, which now gives Ipswich 2 x games in hand, but then knowing them, they'll blow the chances!

Welcome back Dave!! 😀 So good to see you on the forums again!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th April 2024, 11:18 PM

And QPR stuffing Leeds, which now gives Ipswich 2 x games in hand, but then knowing them, they'll blow the chances!

Welcome back Dave!! 😀 So good to see you on the forums again!

Well I'd preferably see your lot get promoted than bloody Leeds.

😊 Amen to that, the dirty team

I'm off down to Leeds Road today to watch my team almost certainly be relegated.

Finally confirmation that we, Sutton United, are out of the League after a 3 year stay. We appointed a new Manager too late to save us but this year we improved dramatically. It was 2023 as a whole that was terrible. The end of last season and the start of this.

Anyway a lot of people think we are back where we belong as a small club. Half of our squad will be leaving so it will be interesting to see who they bring in. I don't expect immediate return to the league but I think we'll be winning more than we lose.

And we too are down (HTAFC) and Ipswich will thrash us in the last game demoting Leeds to the playoffs.
Our new manager has preempted his sacking or leaving by changing his profile on Twitter etc to 'Football Manager where last week it said Huddersfield Town manager.
No official club statement - but the change in status is rather ominous.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 30th April 2024, 9:11 AM

And we too are down (HTAFC) and Ipswich will thrash us in the last game demoting Leeds to the playoffs.

Bloody Hell, I do hope so (doubly!!), but The Town have the habit of falling at the last fence, thinking Huddersfield are going to be an easy touch, but sometimes teams like yours in that position want to go out in a blaze of glory - I try not to think about it, what with fate and all that

11 MINUTES OF EXTRA TIME - THAT MUST HAVE BEEN AGONY FOR PLAYERS AND FANS!

The dog shaggers might let you down. They are known to win when unexpected.
(In case you didn't know - htafc are often known as the dog shaggers, especially by Leeds fans)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st May 2024, 11:10 AM

The dog shaggers might let you down. They are known to win when unexpected.
(In case you didn't know - htafc are often known as the dog shaggers, especially by Leeds fans)

No, I didn't know that, and I hear you re-Huddersfield - nothing to lose, let's go for it!!

BUT THEN, if they hate Leeds so much they might show a bit of sympathy and deliberately lose?

Can you go to the match and tie their bootlaces together? I can put you up, as I've just cleared the garden shed out.

Good to see someone different in the Premier League. I can remember when Ipswich were good; runners up which would now get them into the "Champions " League.

Aston Villa are playing three friendlies in the States this summer. My son, his wife, and I will be traveling to game against Leipzig in New York (technically New Jersey). We'll turn it into a quick Manhattan vacation, with a couple of days in Washington, DC.

Quote: Chappers @ 1st May 2024, 8:26 PM

Good to see someone different in the Premier League. I can remember when Ipswich were good; runners up which would now get them into the "Champions " League.

🤫 We're not there yet, but appreciate your sentiment Dave, thank you.

Yes, this was the team - fantastic players, all. The only one missing for me is the "Wing Wizard" Clive Woods, who played in the 1978 FA Cup Final, but then went to play for of all teams (!!) Norwich when this photo was taken

Quote: Chappers @ 1st May 2024, 8:26 PM

I can remember when Ipswich were good; runners up which would now get them into the "Champions " League.

Surely even more noteworthy was when they actually won the league. 1961/62. Ray Crawford, Ted Phillips, Jimmy Leadbetter, Alf Ramsey... Then they did qualify for Europe of course. As champions.

Yes, some great players there. Locally it was the FA Cup Final that brought the town together and was the most celebrated - you couldn't get tickets for love nor money, and I had all the contacts.